Why aren't supplements disclosed to USADA at beginning of training camp?

Degen Gambler

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So George Sullivan disclosed his supplements to USADA and he was pulled from the card because one of his supplements is "high risk". This is a fucking moronic approach. They let the fighter go through his whole training camp, start his weight cut and then pull him once he discloses his supplements?

Why doesn't USADA ask the fighters to disclose supplements at the time the bout agreement is signed? This way the fighter doesn't have to do a full training camp for nothing and his opponent doesn't lose a paycheck for nothing. If some idiot like me on sherdog can see how stupid this process is why can't Jeff Novitzky?

It takes the fun out of busting people at the last minute if you let them know before training camp that they can't use something. Have you no flair for drama?

I'm a fan of cleaning up the sport. I'm not a fan of the Gestapo like tactics of USADA. Fighter taking 5-6 "surprise"tests prior to a fight. It's excessive, and infringes on a fighters civil rights.

So George Sullivan disclosed his supplements to USADA and he was pulled from the card because one of his supplements is "high risk". This is a fucking moronic approach. They let the fighter go through his whole training camp, start his weight cut and then pull him once he discloses his supplements?

Why doesn't USADA ask the fighters to disclose supplements at the time the bout agreement is signed? This way the fighter doesn't have to do a full training camp for nothing and his opponent doesn't lose a paycheck for nothing. If some idiot like me on sherdog can see how stupid this process is why can't Jeff Novitzky?

Its not so much that his supplement was "high risk"

What it is, is USADA actually publish an ongoing list of supplements that in tests have contained banned substances either indicated on the label or not indicated.

This published list of supplements with banned ingredients is called "the high risk list"

He was using a supplement specifically named on that list.

So basically, he was using a supplement that had been specifically named by USADA as potentially containing banned substances.

I'm a fan of cleaning up the sport. I'm not a fan of the Gestapo like tactics of USADA. Fighter taking 5-6 "surprise"tests prior to a fight. It's excessive, and infringes on a fighters civil rights.

So it's better to end up like Mark Hunt, and get pounded by a roided beast?

it will get worse before it gets better - Kenny Florian

I wish they'd figure out a way to have these late busts not impact cards so horribly, but this instance is just a guy who didn't do his homework.

Its not so much that his supplement was "high risk"

What it is, is USADA actually publish an ongoing list of supplements that in tests have contained banned substances either indicated on the label or not indicated.

This published list of supplements with banned ingredients is called "the high risk list"

He was using a supplement specifically named on that list.

So basically, he was using a supplement that had been specifically named by USADA as potentially containing banned substances.

So isnt it a problem if the fighters are too dumb to look at the list?

What harm could it do for them to disclose their supplements at the time they sign the bout agreement?

If USADA needs them to disclose them again right before the fight then make them do it twice. The UFC needs to babysit these guys so fights dont fall out at the last minute because apparently they are not smart enough to do it themselves.

1,2 USADA's coming for you
3,4 better lock your gym door
5,6 get your steroid fix
7,8 gonna jag up late
9,10 never fight again..

Thats an available option for fighters .... its up to them to opt for it ... which imo they should.

I don't understand this comment. Without the frequency of surprise tests, the process can be ineffective. And what civil rights are being violated?

So isnt it a problem if the fighters are too dumb to look at the list?

What harm could it do for them to disclose their supplements at the time they sign the bout agreement?

If USADA needs them to disclose them again right before the fight then make them do it twice. The UFC needs to babysit these guys so fights dont fall out at the last minute because apparently they are not smart enough to do it themselves.

Not really. None of this is a trick/setup.

Shit that is illegal to have in your system is..... illegal to have in your system. It's all listed and public knowledge.

Not really. None of this is a trick/setup.

Shit that is illegal to have in your system is..... illegal to have in your system. It's all listed and public knowledge.

Im not talking about it from the perspective of the fighter. I could care less if they suffer from their own stupidity. Im talking about it from the perspective of a fan that doesn't want to see fights cancelled at the last minute for stupid shit.

they don't only test during training camp.

not sure what their real reasons are, but id say its pretty clear that USADA benefits from making headlines and pulling people out of cards

people start seeing them as the group that is cleaning up the world - bigheadlines and catching people helps

not sure what their real reasons are, but id say its pretty clear that USADA benefits from making headlines and pulling people out of cards

people start seeing them as the group that is cleaning up the world - bigheadlines and catching people helps

As far as I know, they don’t make any more money by making headline vs when they don’t. I’m not sure how it helps them in any way.

Im not talking about it from the perspective of the fighter. I could care less if they suffer from their own stupidity. Im talking about it from the perspective of a fan that doesn't want to see fights cancelled at the last minute for stupid shit.

Understood. Cancelled fights do suck (due to them not occurring).

People are held to the standard of their employers wishes/contract.

If weed or coke, roids etc is not kosher to your employer:

A: Don't have said substances in your urine.

B: Find an employer who doesn't care.

giphy.gif

It would be wise for the athletes to frequently speak with USADA about what supplements they are using, whether they have a bout in line or not.

Back