Australian WMMA fighter almost dies from weight cut

real2124

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-...rom-quiet-life-on-farm-to-mma-punches/7647942

The article doesn't go into depth, but the documentary "Caged" that aired recently that looked at MMA in Australia, and one segment of the show talked about a young woman's near-death experience from weight cutting.

Drs said her kidneys/liver had shut down, she had brain damage and was placed into an induced coma. It was very close... Anyway, she made a full recovery and went up a weight class.

"On the day of the weigh-in, as Ms Todd was attempting to reach 52 kilograms in order to qualify for her weight division, she was one kilogram overweight.

Things did not go well after she suffered heat stroke from a sweating session in the sauna."

"I ended up in ICU for a few days and in hospital for five; that was terrible for the people around me but that was an accident and I own it," Ms Todd said

TL,DR - WMMA fighter almost died from a botched weight cut.

if its that hard to make weight just don't bother. Why risk your health for a few extra pounds?

Imo, I'd rather step in the octagon and take a brutal beating than go through a brutal weight cut... weight cuts seem more deadly than MMA.

Fuck that's pretty brutal.

giphy.gif
Is it hard to not get your weight down at all?
QUIT TRYING TO GET A FUCKING SIZE ADVANTAGE. WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE RUMBLE AND BARAO Accidents.

I trained with her opponent, this was a while ago.

But seriously at starter level if you need a big weight cut to win fights best you just make it a hobby.

Weight cutting is a real difference at high level but in the minors its nothing.

She's a newbie and possibly old (no info on her age, but watching Kickboxer in 89 points to old). One is bad for weight cutting. Both can be deadly.

giphy.gif
Is it hard to not get your weight down at all?
QUIT TRYING TO GET A FUCKING SIZE ADVANTAGE. WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE RUMBLE AND BARAO Accidents.

Agreed. Very hard to be sympathetic toward extreme weight cutters.

Trying to be like Conor.

She should have moved up 2 weightclasses after her recovery.

if its that hard to make weight just don't bother. Why risk your health for a few extra pounds?

A lot of times when a fight feels fully drained, and like they can't do anymore they have their coaches and teammates there motivating them and doing everything they can to get that extra weight off. I think that's something that has to change right away

yeah i watched that show the other night, it was sickening what she looked like during the cut, lucky to live she was, also on the same show i think a fighter from ONE FC i think was hospitalised

She's a newbie and possibly old (no info on her age, but watching Kickboxer in 89 points to old). One is bad for weight cutting. Both can be deadly.
says in the article, 37

I agree with the guy a few above me, weight cuts are sick. People are insane going through that sh+t,instead of going up a weight class.

I wish though she would put on some make up or sth for a photo ses, I feel kinda bad for her.

Last edited:
I would guess she certainly did some stupid shit in this weight cut

I don't have a problem in how weight cuts are managed today. and today you have a way bigger timeframe to recover from the cutting, so no big

I would guess she certainly did some stupid shit in this weight cut

I don't have a problem in how weight cuts are managed today. and today you have a way bigger timeframe to recover from the cutting, so no big

I agree. Fighters need to change their normal habbits to achieve some stability in their weight or stuff like this is going to keep happening. The more they YOYO up and down the harder it is for them to cut and they probably end up doing some stupid ass shit.

Dumb. Particularly when you are that small to begin with.

But seriously at starter level if you need a big weight cut to win fights best you just make it a hobby.

Weight cutting is a real difference at high level but in the minors its nothing.

This makes a TON of sense to me.
I think fighters get too obsessed with those kinds of "edges". When I see a fighter who had just been dehydrating themselves I have to wonder if they're really about to fight at their peak.

Weight-cutting is the worst thing in the sport.

How is risking health to fight smaller fighters still an accepted practice? It's admitted cowardice.

Women don't have many different weight divisions to choose from. And it's tough when that is your chosen career and how you make a living.

Back