Does One Fight Really Show Who Is Better?

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
Can you really say that one fighter is better than another if they have only fought once?

There are many examples of trilogies and two fights that are easy to say ok this guy is better than that but just one fight is not really not enough is it?

Even if it is a brutal domination; amazing sub or devastating KO is that even enough to really say one guy is better than another?

I'd say if it was a fight where one fighter completely dominates the other in all aspects of the game (Striking and grappling) and at the end of the fight no injuries are disclosed, then I would say at the very least, that the fighter who dominated the fight is/was the better fighter at that time. If that makes any sense.

75% accurate id say.

You cant watch a fight like tj cruz and objectively say one is better. But watch a fight like Sanchez melendez and you can tell.

No.

A fight only proves who was better that night.

Fighters are constantly improving and deteriorating with age.

There is no such thing as "better".

There are people who think Conor beats Aldo 10/10 times based on 13 seconds.

No.

Dariush is better than Chiesa
Holm is better than Tate
Zingano is better than Pena
Silva is better than Bisping

4 examples and that's just from 2016.

Can you really say that one fighter is better than another if they have only fought once?

There are many examples of trilogies and two fights that are easy to say ok this guy is better than that but just one fight is not really not enough is it?

Even if it is a brutal domination; amazing sub or devastating KO is that even enough to really say one guy is better than another?
no, one fight alone is not indication.
But if you compare careers, AND a fight, one can get a better glimpse of who is better.

Even after one fight

75% accurate id say.

You cant watch a fight like tj cruz and objectively say one is better. But watch a fight like Sanchez melendez and you can tell.
Objectively Cruz is better.

Objectively Cruz is better.

How do you know?

That fight was close as shit, any fight where a guy loses because he was too aggressive is horse shit. Cruz won by coin flip.

But if you are really sure Cruz is better 100 bucks says you thought that before they fought.

How do you know?

That fight was close as shit, any fight where a guy loses because he was too aggressive is horse shit. Cruz won by coin flip.
I watched it on my T.V. The objective in prize fighting is to hit and not get hit back, Cruz done this with much more efficiency, hence he is objectively better.
ufc132-11-600x330.jpg

you can say he was better on that night. but no 1 fight is not enough. see you can call me a shogun nut-hugger but i still believe shogun vs henderson career wise is 50-50 in regards to who wins a fight between them even though the end result was 100% for dan henderson.

however, you can see who is better between two people that fought once you compare their careers

How do you know?

But if you are really sure Cruz is better 100 bucks says you thought that before they fought.
Cruz came back after years of severe injuries and schooled the champ, 50-45 if they fought now that Cruz is active.

No.

Dariush is better than Chiesa
Holm is better than Tate
Zingano is better than Pena
Silva is better than Bisping

4 examples and that's just from 2016.
and all time, people still think bj is better than frankie even though he went 0-3 in 2 weightclasses against him

if my fighter wins then yes.

if he looses then no

You do know TJ landed more strikes? ???

Dillasnake lost that fight:

400562_2775938030475_1018810663_3576691_1183540447_n.jpg

and all time, people still think bj is better than frankie even though he went 0-3 in 2 weightclasses against him
I scored the first fight for BJ but yeah Frank showed he was better over 3 fights

Cruz came back after years of severe injuries and schooled the champ, 50-45 if they fought now that Cruz is active.

and yet alll we have is perhaps the closest fight in UFC history to judge them by.

Back