The difference between GOAT, Hall of Famer, and Legend.

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Many use these terms interchangeably though they should mean different things.

I feel that GOAT is strictly based on in-cage performance. Long win streaks, high finish rate, very few losses (at least very few in one's prime), etc. Anderson, GSP, and Jon Jones are GOAT level. It's an elite category.

A Hall of Famer is one who is important to the sport. While win-loss record is important, it's not the only thing. It's why non-fighters can be Hall of Famers. It's why I never had a problem with Stephan Bonnar being in the HoF. There have been a lot of embellishment about his fight with Forest but it was still very important to the sport of MMA.

A legend is one who, while not GOAT level or even Hall of Famer worthy, has a memorable career. It can be memorable for really any reason or a combination of reasons. This, like the other two, is kind of subjective. Sakuraba is a legend. I think Donald Cerrone is a future legend for the sheer number of fights he has taken.

Of course, a fighter can be two or even all three of these things.

Of course, these definitions are subjective and others may describe each differently.

But however you define it, just because a fighter is not A does not mean they cannot be B or C. Or vice versa.

Agreed. Someone like Jose Aldo, one of my favourite fighters ever, is one of the top 5 best fighters ever, he is probably a hall of famer, but a LEGEND? I feel like a legend is someone you talk about years and years later, incredible feats or milestone fighters. Someone like Aldo probably isn't going to get that appreciation, i don't think GSP will either. They were just both really, really great fighters.

There aren't a lot of people who fit into the category of ATG as well as being a LEGEND, people like Anderson Silva and Fedor fit because when you think of them, you think incredible feats, incredible moments, furthering the sport in a significant way that was felt by everybody. That's where greatness comes from for me, when Legacy fighters and ATG fighters meet.

There isn't GOAT level. GOAT = Greatest of all time. Only one fighter can be GOAT and not many like you think. ards on here make the mistake of calling every other fighter GOAT.

Goat: Anderson, Fedor, Jon Jones, GSP

Hall of Famer: Chuck, Matt Hughes, Randy, BJ Penn

Legend: Royce, Saku

Agreed. Someone like Jose Aldo, one of my favourite fighters ever, is one of the top 5 best fighters ever, he is probably a hall of famer, but a LEGEND? I feel like a legend is someone you talk about years and years later, incredible feats or milestone fighters. Someone like Aldo probably isn't going to get that appreciation, i don't think GSP will either. They were just both really, really great fighters.

There aren't a lot of people who fit into the category of ATG as well as being a LEGEND, people like Anderson Silva and Fedor fit because when you think of them, you think incredible feats, incredible moments, furthering the sport in a significant way that was felt by everybody. That's where greatness comes from for me, when Legacy fighters and ATG fighters meet.

GSP not a legend. LMAO.

The GOAT is all 3. Unfortunately in fighting theres weight classes unlike nba where Jordan is the best, people can argue GOAT in fighting because its not open weight anymore.

GSP not a legend. LMAO.

Name me a moment you'll remember GSP for in 10 years. A Standout moment in time that will immortalize GSP. I can think of maybe one - The serra knockout, but that's not exactly helpful.

GSP did what he did, and he was an amazing competitor, but it doesn't exactly inspire longing memories from people, which is partially what being a legend is. There are plenty ATG level fighters that are in the same category GSP is. Only time will tell, but I don't think time will be kind to GSP.

Name me a moment you'll remember GSP for in 10 years. A Standout moment in time that will immortalize GSP. I can think of maybe one - The serra knockout, but that's not exactly helpful.

GSP did what he did, and he was an amazing competitor, but it doesn't exactly inspire longing memories from people, which is partially what being a legend is. There are plenty ATG level fighters that are in the same category GSP is. Only time will tell, but I don't think time will be kind to GSP.

When GSP was "Rush" before he got KO'd, he was one of the most exciting fighters around. Dont undersell shit. Some selective memory you got going on.

GOAT

images

Hall of Famer

images

Legend

images

Da Sex

Yoshihiro-Akiyama.jpg

"Greatness" is more than pure achievement in the sport, it involves many other factors: overcoming odds is a big part of it.

This is why Ali is a "greater" than Larry Holmes even though most boxing experts wouldn't rate him to be as good of fighter.

There is definitely lots of crossover when it comes to GOATS, Legends, and Hall of Famers.

For example, how many GOATS are not Hall of famers, or future Hall of famers? How many Legends are not Hall of Famers, or at one time considered a potential GOAT?

It all comes down to the proper (or improper) use of "Goat". Nowadays the term is overly applied to say the least.

GOAT: Fedor, hardest weight class to remain dominant in. Longer reign on top than any other potential GOAT candidates.

Hall Of Famer: Some who helped the sport reach a pivotal point. Chuck, Forrest, Royce Gracie

Legend: Pioneers or originators of particular styles or ones who brought a particular style to the forefront.

"Im not imprezzed with your per-for-mance" = immortalized catch phrase

Loss to Serra = immortalized biggest upset of all time

Legendary beatdown of Penn in immortalized first ever champ vs champ fight

HOF: Politics. Doesn't really do anything for the fighter.

Legend: Famous enough to star in D rated movies and get some commercial gigs.

GOAT: Dumb.

Goat: Anderson, Fedor, Jon Jones, GSP

Hall of Famer: Chuck, Matt Hughes, Randy, BJ Penn

Legend: Royce, Saku

GOAT

images

Hall of Famer

images

Legend

images

Da Sex

Yoshihiro-Akiyama.jpg

Why is it that mostly American MMA fans believe Anderson Silva should be the GOAT instead of Fedor? Even Brazilians voted Fedor as the GOAT MMA by a landslide over Anderson Silva yet most American's still believe Anderson should take that spot. I believe most of those American's never got to watch Fedor fight in his prime back during his time in Pride FC. I'm an American and I was lucky enough to watch Fedor fight during his Pride FC days and theirs no doubt he is the GOAT and nobody even comes close.

Why is it that mostly American MMA fans believe Anderson Silva should be the GOAT instead of Fedor? Even Brazilians voted Fedor as the GOAT MMA by a landslide over Anderson Silva yet most American's still believe Anderson should take that spot. I believe most of those American's never got to watch Fedor fight in his prime back during his time in Pride FC. I'm an American and I was lucky enough to watch Fedor fight during his Pride FC days and theirs no doubt he is the GOAT and nobody even comes close.

Fedor was not the GOAT.

HW GOAT but he faced many cans and he fought in Pride which was not very creditable due to that fact that athletes were encouraged by upper management to use PED's.

While Anderson was facing top contenders Fedor was facing Matt Lindland, Hong man choi and other gimmick fights. In Pride Fedor was fighting Coleman one day then T.K and Zulu the next.

Anderson fought in the UFC and broke just about every record. Accuracy records, title defenses, all in the major premier MMA organization in the world

It's your opinion and you can feel anyway you want, but there is a reason why people don't agree with you.

Back