Just what is Gunnar Nelson doing?

Reddd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why is this guy still wasting his time and career at 170 where he is undersized? He will never be elite there, and he can have a decent career at 170 being a decent match up for fringe top 8-15 type guys rankings wise, but he will always be undersized in this division.

His body type would be just right for 155, and I think he could definitely be elite there and a real threat towards anyone. He is wasting his time at 170.

He looked better last couple fights. Don't screw with winning recipe

He looked better last couple fights. Don't screw with winning recipe

What winning recipe? WTF are you talking about? Who has he beaten that is so great? He got murdered by Mai, and lost another one a while back to a guy he had no business losing to. He isn't strong enough to deal with the wrestlers of this division, or to smother the non wrestlers of the division that are great stand up artists. He is very well rounded and all, but he isn't "great" anywhere.

The point is he won't ever be anything special at 170. He likely could be at 155, because he isn't some huge WW. He is a rather small one.

He is just another guy at WW.

He is a breath of fresh air in a sport dominated by weight cutters.

cuz Conor is taking over 155.

Conor is likely fighting Mayweather if he beats Nate.

If he loses, he goes back to 145 or loses the belt and eventually loses to whatever top guy he faces at 155.

Because he witnesses his buddeh Connie go full auschwitz mode when cutting weight and he wants none of that bullshiet.

Dunno, might have something to do with his attitude. I remember Kavanagh saying he expects him to just drop it all and move out to the boonies one day. Seems to not be motivated by glory all that much.

Because he witnesses his buddeh Connie go full auschwitz mode when cutting weight and he wants none of that bullshiet.

Clearly he doesn't. And as a result he'll be a slightly better version of Erick Silva.

Conor is likely fighting Mayweather if he beats Nate.

If he loses, he goes back to 145 or loses the belt and eventually loses to whatever top guy he faces at 155.
And only then would Gunnie contemplate moving down to 155. But right now it is Conor's division. And if Conor beats Nate, Gunnie has to move up to 185 cuz 170 is also Conor's division.

People always say that but it's rare to see guys do a lot better after moving down.

Dunno, might have something to do with his attitude. I remember Kavanagh saying he expects him to just drop it all and move out to the boonies one day. Seems to not be motivated by glory all that much.

This seems probably accurate with the way he talks and carrries himself.

Besides Maia not many can bully him in the wrestling department. He's not short. He's speedy for a WW but might be average speed a LW. I think WW suits him.

What winning recipe? WTF are you talking about? Who has he beaten that is so great? He got murdered by Mai, and lost another one a while back to a guy he had no business losing to. He isn't strong enough to deal with the wrestlers of this division, or to smother the non wrestlers of the division that are great stand up artists. He is very well rounded and all, but he isn't "great" anywhere.

The point is he won't ever be anything special at 170. He likely could be at 155, because he isn't some huge WW. He is a rather small one.

He is just another guy at WW.
He just beat Tumenov, a very good prospect at 170. Also, Rick fucking Story is not just a guy he had no business losing to.

In addition, he has tricky Karate-based stand-up and is a Black-Belt in BJJ. Do you even know who Gunnar Nelson is, or do you have him confused?

He just beat Tumenov, a very good prospect at 170. Also, Rick fucking Story is not just a guy he had no business losing to.

In addition, he has tricky Karate-based stand-up and is a Black-Belt in BJJ. Do you even know who Gunnar Nelson is, or do you have him confused?

It is hard responding to you, because you don't seem to have strong reading comprehension skills today.

I didn't say he sucked or couldn't be competitive. I said that he won't ever crack the elite circle. He isn't strong enough to over power guys like that, and he doesn't have elite level striking. He fights somewhat lazy without a great killer instinct sort of like Mousasi who he reminds me of a lot. Is there anything wrong with that? No, he'll have a decent career, but that's about it.

At 155 he'd have a nice size, and he'd be pretty damn strong there. His reach would be good, and I don't think he'd have to kill himself to get there at all. I wouldn't have mentioned him to move down unless he was a small WW which he is. He is to small to ever be dominant at WW.

At 155 though, he has some serious potential.

I don't care about his style that you think is so cool which has made a lot of people overrate him since he came to the UFC when everyone went gaga comparing him to Machida. I'm guessing you were likely one of those guys. His karate based stand up isn't doing shit for him as far as moving him up the rankings. He has been in the UFC for like 4 years now.

Not 100% percent on this but I think I read somewhere before that his dad is the head of some sort of mma regulation in Iceland and they aren't fans of weight cutting

It is hard responding to you, because you don't seem to have strong reading comprehension skills today.

I didn't say he sucked or couldn't be competitive. I said that he won't ever crack the elite circle. He isn't strong enough to over power guys like that, and he doesn't have elite level striking. He fights somewhat lazy without a great killer instinct sort of like Mousasi who he reminds me of a lot. Is there anything wrong with that? No, he'll have a decent career, but that's about it.

At 155 he'd have a nice size, and he'd be pretty damn strong there. His reach would be good, and I don't think he'd have to kill himself to get there at all. I wouldn't have mentioned him to move down unless he was a small WW which he is. He is to small to ever be dominant at WW.

At 155 though, he has some serious potential.

I don't care about his style that you think is so cool which has made a lot of people overrate him since he came to the UFC when everyone went gaga comparing him to Machida. I'm guessing you were likely one of those guys. His karate based stand up isn't doing shit for him as far as moving him up the rankings. He has been in the UFC for like 4 years now.
I'm not even a fan of the guy, but you're making me wonder if you've ever seen him fight. He's shown great killer instinct against Thatch and Tumenov, recently.

You said he's not great at anything, and I informed you otherwise. But yeah, I'm the one who can't read.

Back