Sad ppl will forget Mike Pierce;shouldve beat Kos,Hendricks,gave 05-10 Fitch toughest non-GSP fight

Mike Pierce was a..

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Outside of hardcores like Sherdawgies, no one is gonna remember this dude in 5 years.

He shouldve got the decision over Kos who was still a top 5 WW and just KOd Hughes. Kos got the better of the grappling but Pierce won the striking overall. He solidly won the 1st round and shouldve got the 2nd as well. The 2nd was pretty close but i thought he clearly took it.

Then theres Hendricks who on his way to the shitle shot had 3 very close fights in Pierce, Kos and Carlos. Most controversial i think was Kos but i think Johny narrowly won that. He took the 1st from Pierce but Mike had some nice uppercuts in the clinch but Johnys pressure and wild strikes to get him to the cage. Johny did well in the 2nd early but Pierce sprawled on him a couple times, countered him nice with a 1-2, had a front headlock and won the clinch battle tho not much happened. He shoudve won the 3rd too, got the TD, Hendricks failed on his, Pierce landed nice elbows and was in Hendricks guard when he caught an upkick which was close to a foul.

2.gif
4.gif

He gave prime Fitch his toughest non GSP fight. Diego got a split but it was strange cause Fitch clearly won every round. This was a time where Fitch was a top 10 P4P fighter and almost never lost a round outside GSP fight till he fought Pierce. Fitch took the 1st, lost the last solidly and Pierce hurt him BADLY at the end of the 3rd. The 2nd was very close, this fight couldve been a draw honestly but i felt Fitch did a bit more in the 2nd with the bodywork and single, as well as back control. Thats how close it was.

ufc_107_fitch_pierce_kenflo_rocked.gif

He was a very good WW in his prime who could have competed with almost any elite WW from that era. Jr got a bad rep for being boring but he was more exciting and technical than most wrestle-boxers of that era and just fought usually at a slow pace. He hurt guys and just had a solid wrestle-boxing game, great clinch, good combos and great wrestling. Shame how his career turned out. Palhares beating him was one of the most underrated wins of the past 5 years, great win.

euivcx.gif

He was definitely a great fighter. Had he been on the right side of a few split decisions, he could have easily made his way to a title shot.

I remember him being boring as hell, but he got a very fast knockout once

Too bad Palhares damn near handicapped him, glad he was able to come back from that.

Mike Pierce looked good in his losses but was honestly not a very memorable fighter.

Pierce was very underrated. It's sad that so many guys in mma are in his position and people don't realize how good they were.

Pierce should not have been cut

Would like to see him & Rick Story settle their beef in the octagon.

I don't understand why it's sad TS you fucking girl........

His fights were boring and he had a very unlikable attitude. I actually laughed when he lost those split decision fights he probably should have won just because the dude seemed like a major dickhead.

I remember the pierce/hendricks/koscheck fights. Some I disagreed with, some not, but they were all very close. Seemed like just some bad luck for pierce derailed him there. I'm not specifically such a fan but I often recall it as being very unfortunate.

His 5 UFC losses were against guys who were top opponents at the time when he fought them and he has 9 UFC wins. Unfortunately dude is very boring compared to even Jon Fitch IMO. That's the reason why he was cut. Hopefully he goes to Belllator or something.

People wouldn't remeber him even if he had won because he was boring. Fitch was a winner for a long time, look where that got him.

The only guy in MMA or boxing (wanted to say combat sports, but idk about mauy thai and Kickboxing) who can get attention with a boring fighting style is Floyd Mayweather, and that's because he's got his whole media persona people gravitate to, not his fights.

Mike Pierce looked good in his losses but was honestly not a very memorable fighter.
This. A good solid fighter but my number 1 memory of the guy was being heel hooked really quickly by Palhares. Fuck fighting Palhares

[QUOTE="ExitLUPin, post: 118315749, member: 490321"

Then theres Hendricks who on his way to the shitle shot had 3 very close fights in Pierce, Kos and Carlos[/QUOTE]

LMAO, you said he had 3 very close fights and you included Carlos in it, LMAO!!!! Thats not you being bias right? LOL. Thanks for LOL's buddy. Can you also tell me how Frankie vs Penn 3 was a very close fight, you see I am a BJ fan and want to believe.

Outside of hardcores like Sherdawgies, no one is gonna remember this dude in 5 years.

He shouldve got the decision over Kos who was still a top 5 WW and just KOd Hughes. Kos got the better of the grappling but Pierce won the striking overall. He solidly won the 1st round and shouldve got the 2nd as well. The 2nd was pretty close but i thought he clearly took it.

Then theres Hendricks who on his way to the shitle shot had 3 very close fights in Pierce, Kos and Carlos. Most controversial i think was Kos but i think Johny narrowly won that. He took the 1st from Pierce but Mike had some nice uppercuts in the clinch but Johnys pressure and wild strikes to get him to the cage. Johny did well in the 2nd early but Pierce sprawled on him a couple times, countered him nice with a 1-2, had a front headlock and won the clinch battle tho not much happened. He shoudve won the 3rd too, got the TD, Hendricks failed on his, Pierce landed nice elbows and was in Hendricks guard when he caught an upkick which was close to a foul.

2.gif
4.gif

He gave prime Fitch his toughest non GSP fight. Diego got a split but it was strange cause Fitch clearly won every round. This was a time where Fitch was a top 10 P4P fighter and almost never lost a round outside GSP fight till he fought Pierce. Fitch took the 1st, lost the last solidly and Pierce hurt him BADLY at the end of the 3rd. The 2nd was very close, this fight couldve been a draw honestly but i felt Fitch did a bit more in the 2nd with the bodywork and single, as well as back control. Thats how close it was.

ufc_107_fitch_pierce_kenflo_rocked.gif

He was a very good WW in his prime who could have competed with almost any elite WW from that era. Jr got a bad rep for being boring but he was more exciting and technical than most wrestle-boxers of that era and just fought usually at a slow pace. He hurt guys and just had a solid wrestle-boxing game, great clinch, good combos and great wrestling. Shame how his career turned out. Palhares beating him was one of the most underrated wins of the past 5 years, great win.

euivcx.gif

You shouldn't try to promote a fighter by listing 3 losses on the thread title.

The only memory I have of him is Palhares ripping his leg off.

He lost close fights and was very boring during performances. What's memorable about him? Nothing. The UFC wants exciting fighters.

Back