At 29, who was/is better, Fedor or Jones?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TLDR: Hard to sum up in a few sentences, but essentially a quick breakdown comparing the 2 fighter's records, resumes, achievements by the age of 29 (Jon's current age) - many similarities, so you guys pick, who was/is better at the age of 29?

Let's have a little look at the records of the opponents that they beat up to the age of 29. I respect that numbers can be deceiving, as some fighters have many losses but remain to be amazing fighters. Moreover some fighters can be 22-0 but only fought cans. Here's the breakdown anyway!

Jon Jones:

Bernard - 0-1
Pina - 0-0
Eduardo - 2-1
Verrett - 1-3
Porter - 2-0
Gabin - 2-1
Gusmao - 5-0
Bonnar - 12-4
O'Brien - 11-2
Hamill - 8-2
Vera - 11-4
Matyushenko - 24-4
Bader - 12-0
Rua - 19-4
Jackson - 32-8
Machida - 17-2
Evans 17-1-1
Belfort - 21-9
Sonnen - 28-12-1
Gustafsson - 15-1
Teixeira - 22-2
Cormier 15-0
St. Preux - 19-7

22-1 / in reality he is 22-0

Summary - Out of 22 victories there are easily 7 that are fantastic wins. He has never come into a fight as an underdog from what I can remember, other than possibly Rua, please don't let this fool you or sway you, because beating Glover, Alex, DC, Evans and Machida at that stage of their career is simply stunning!

Jon does have the odd opponent that you can snivel at e.g. OSP or Chael, but I cannot name one can on his record.

Fedor Emelianenko:

Lazarov - 0-0
Lagvilava - 1-2
Takada - 0-0
Arona - 2-0
Apostolov - 0-0
Schall - 5-2
Sobral - 19-2
Yanagisawa 24-22-9
Hasdell - 12–13–3 (1)
Haseman - 18-11
Schilt - 22-10-1
Herring - 20-7
Nogueira - 19-1-1
Valavičius - 4-2
Fujita - 9-3
Goodridge - 17-14-1
Nagata - 0-1
Coleman - 13-5
Randleman - 15-7
Ogawa - 7-0
Nogueira - 24-2-1 (1)
Kohsaka - 26-15-2
Filipovic - 16-2-2

23-1 (1) / but more like 23-0 (1)

Summary - It's understandable to be fighting other novices early on in your career, with 0-1 or 1-2 records, but facing Ogawa, Nagata, Valavicius, Kohsaka mid-way into your prime is a little poor.

On the other hand, Fedor does have his own version of Cormier-level wins, in Nogueira x2 and Filipovic could be seen as Fedor's Gustafsson (the guy who was supposed to be able to strike with him, and good enough to not get out-grappled).

Closing statements:

Let's be honest, it's razor close!

Both men unbeaten, both with 23 wins (unofficially).

Fedor did it quicker, little over 5 years to achieve 23 victories. Jones took almost 8 years.

Fedor is also very much undersized for his weight class - extra credit there!

Fedor has padded his record a tad with weaker opponents though. You would never see Jones fighting someone with a 4-2 record at this stage of his career. He's fighting the best in the world!

PRIDE had pretty much zero PED testing, does that come into play at all!?

Jones of course has had several legal issues, which you have to factor into his record and career. In those absences he may have been able to extend his record.

They both are very close in their notable/high-level victories. Jones with about 7 to 10, similar with Fedor.

I believe Jones is a tiny bit ahead of Fedor at this age, but Fedor continued his run for many more years. Can Jon do the same, is yet to be seen!

So... you decide!

Jones was a kid beating up legends

He went through the lot in a year and a half, didn't even get hurt enough to have an enforced medical absence.

And since then all hes had are title fights.
Say whatever you want about the guy but thats unmatchable.

I don`t want to devalue Fedor`s resume because it`s amazing but in comparision with Jones Fedor fought a lot of cans, Jones has possible the best resume in MMA history, fights for world titles every fight and he should be 23-0 and not 22-1.

Last edited:
Both are equal at the moment. But if Jones beats DC, Rumble, and Gus. Or goes to HW and has a few wins there. He will pass Fedor, without a doubt.

Jones has that 1 blemish on his record, but so did Fedor with that Dr. Stoppage. So both were kinda "BS" loses on their record.

But Jones has already gotten his ass kicked by Gustaffson compared to Fedor, we never saw him get his ass kicked until he fought Big Foot Silva many years later. You can also argue that even though Jones got his ass kicked, he still won the decision, compared to Fedor getting his ass kicked and losing the fight.

The one that didn't have to resort to eye pokes to win fights.

Gustaffson = 2002 Big Nog ????

Brock.

He went up against legit competition.

Fedro fought Zulu.

Vera - 11-4
Matyushenko - 24-4
Bader - 12-0
Rua - 19-4
Jackson - 32-8
Machida - 17-2
Evans 17-1-1
Belfort - 21-9
Sonnen - 28-12-1
Gustafsson - 15-1
Teixeira - 22-2
Cormier 15-0
St. Preux - 19-7

This is just a stupid otherwordly streak in my eyes.
I'm still going to value Fedor a bit higher just because it's heavyweight but if Jones wins at 200 there's no discussion to be had.

If I was an employer and I read Jones's resume, I would hire him without an interview.

Biggest difference is Jones has to cut weight to get some physical advantage over his opponent, or at least to avoid any physical disadvantages while Fedor didn't.

0fcc8e062458.jpg

If Jones had 23 fights in 5 years, while also winning championships in Combat Sambo (which is basically mma), then you could compare.

Otherwise it's apples to oranges. There's a big difference between putting it all on the line at HW every 4-5 weeks, and fighting a couple times a year.

TLDR: Hard to sum up in a few sentences, but essentially a quick breakdown comparing the 2 fighter's records, resumes, achievements by the age of 29 (Jon's current age) - many similarities, so you guys pick, who was/is better at the age of 29?

Let's have a little look at the records of the opponents that they beat up to the age of 29. I respect that numbers can be deceiving, as some fighters have many losses but remain to be amazing fighters. Moreover some fighters can be 22-0 but only fought cans. Here's the breakdown anyway!

Jon Jones:

Bernard - 0-1
Pina - 0-0
Eduardo - 2-1
Verrett - 1-3
Porter - 2-0
Gabin - 2-1
Gusmao - 5-0
Bonnar - 12-4
O'Brien - 11-2
Hamill - 8-2
Vera - 11-4
Matyushenko - 24-4
Bader - 12-0
Rua - 19-4
Jackson - 32-8
Machida - 17-2
Evans 17-1-1
Belfort - 21-9
Sonnen - 28-12-1
Gustafsson - 15-1
Teixeira - 22-2
Cormier 15-0
St. Preux - 19-7

22-1 / in reality he is 22-0

Summary - Out of 22 victories there are easily 7 that are fantastic wins. He has never come into a fight as an underdog from what I can remember, other than possibly Rua, please don't let this fool you or sway you, because beating Glover, Alex, DC, Evans and Machida at that stage of their career is simply stunning!

Jon does have the odd opponent that you can snivel at e.g. OSP or Chael, but I cannot name one can on his record.

Fedor Emelianenko:

Lazarov - 0-0
Lagvilava - 1-2
Takada - 0-0
Arona - 2-0
Apostolov - 0-0
Schall - 5-2
Sobral - 19-2
Yanagisawa 24-22-9
Hasdell - 12–13–3 (1)
Haseman - 18-11
Schilt - 22-10-1
Herring - 20-7
Nogueira - 19-1-1
Valavičius - 4-2
Fujita - 9-3
Goodridge - 17-14-1
Nagata - 0-1
Coleman - 13-5
Randleman - 15-7
Ogawa - 7-0
Nogueira - 24-2-1 (1)
Kohsaka - 26-15-2
Filipovic - 16-2-2

23-1 (1) / but more like 23-0 (1)

Summary - It's understandable to be fighting other novices early on in your career, with 0-1 or 1-2 records, but facing Ogawa, Nagata, Valavicius, Kohsaka mid-way into your prime is a little poor.

On the other hand, Fedor does have his own version of Cormier-level wins, in Nogueira x2 and Filipovic could be seen as Fedor's Gustafsson (the guy who was supposed to be able to strike with him, and good enough to not get out-grappled).

Closing statements:

Let's be honest, it's razor close!

Both men unbeaten, both with 23 wins (unofficially).

Fedor did it quicker, little over 5 years to achieve 23 victories. Jones took almost 8 years.

Fedor is also very much undersized for his weight class - extra credit there!

Fedor has padded his record a tad with weaker opponents though. You would never see Jones fighting someone with a 4-2 record at this stage of his career. He's fighting the best in the world!

PRIDE had pretty much zero PED testing, does that come into play at all!?

Jones of course has had several legal issues, which you have to factor into his record and career. In those absences he may have been able to extend his record.

They both are very close in their notable/high-level victories. Jones with about 7 to 10, similar with Fedor.

I believe Jones is a tiny bit ahead of Fedor at this age, but Fedor continued his run for many more years. Can Jon do the same, is yet to be seen!

So... you decide!

Fedor.

He only lost 1 round in his career up to that point (in 2000 against Arona) He didn't lose another round until 2010 against Werdum.

He also dominated in the toughest division to stay consistent in.

I don`t want to devalue Fedor`s resume because it`s amazing but in comparision with Jones Fedor fought a lot of cans, Jones has possible the best resume in MMA history, fights for world titles every fight and he should be 23-0 and not 22-0.
I thought he lost to Gus so I'll retain 22-1.

Jones.

Get a poll, muthafucka!

giphy.gif

Jones ran through legends and pioneers.

Fedor beat a handful of legends.

I thought he lost to Gus so I'll retain 22-1.

Lol, a controversial decision is very different from a bullshit DQ were not only the fight should have been stopped sooner with a TKO W for Jones, but the DQ itself was bullshit. It`s also very different from getting cut and the doctor stops the fight, that`s a legit loss but in Fedor`s case apperantly elbows were not allowed and he got cut by an elbow so yeah, also bullshit loss.
Jones 2,4,5 btw :p

Back