Rory at Middleweight?

Bewareofdawg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How would Rory do at Middleweight? He has one of the biggest frames at WW, so the size won't be that much of an issue. He has lost twice to Lawler and once to Wonderboy, decisively. Would a move to MW be a good move for him?

I'd pick him over Bisping for sure.

I think he would have a good chance at out-striking Weidman, Jacare and Joel, while staying out of take-down range. However, I feel Rockhold would murder him.

What do you think Sherbros?

It would be interesting to see Rory at MW. Wouldn't be as successful as he was at 170 but at 185 he could still win fights. I like to think he would have done better against Dan Henderson than Lombard.

I think he could beat some in the top 10. But guys like Romero, Jacare, Rockhold, and Weidman would be too big and strong I would say. All 4 of those guys could probably be very competitive at 205.

It would be interesting to see Rory at MW. Wouldn't be as successful as he was at 170 but at 185 he could still win fights. I like to think he would have done better against Dan Henderson than Lombard.
I feel like he would have the speed and diversity advantage in his striking, and with his footwork and TDD, could give the top guys problems.

WW has some guys that are great at Striking, where as I see Middleweight as having 4 guys that are good at striking, but great on the ground. It's a different style, and he may fit better into it.

He has a big frame for 170, but not the muscle to compete with some of those guys at MW. As he is, he’s perfectly suited for WW. He’s talented enough to do well, but it would be a poor career choice.

He should just teach and retire from fighting. He doesn't have the correct bone structure for it. His nose will always get smashed. OR switch to an elusive style like karate.

How would Rory do at Middleweight? He has one of the biggest frames at WW, so the size won't be that much of an issue. He has lost twice to Lawler and once to Wonderboy, decisively. Would a move to MW be a good move for him?

I'd pick him over Bisping for sure.

I think he would have a good chance at out-striking Weidman, Jacare and Joel, while staying out of take-down range. However, I feel Rockhold would murder him.

What do you think Sherbros?

I don't think he would do well at MW as he is losing to good WWs. I wouldn't pick him over Bisping. They would do to him what he did to Nate. All the MWs you mentioned would murder him.

It's a testament to how quickly the sport has grown since Rory came on the scene. He's a big WW but relatively speaking he used to be a lot bigger compared to his peers. Wonderboy dwarfed him

He would be fighting guys bigger and stronger, he would not fare well against the top fighters.

He'd lose to the top contenders but I can see him beating Bisping

unfortunately for him, the only smart move is to sit out for 12 - 18 months and let his nose heal properly.

Back