Who are the casual UFC fans?

evolution03

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I dont know who these casual fans are that the marketing efforts are directed to? I have a few friends that i would consider casual fans, but not in the sense that most would....they are happy to discuss it or watch it at my house, but would never go out of their way to watch it on free tv and would never order a ppv. Otherwise, everyone else i work with, none of my extended family, nor my wife's extended family are evenly vaguely familiar with the sport beyond what ive told them. They couldn't pick GSP, JBJ, Anderson Silva, or McGregor out of a lineup. Theyve heard of Rousey, but thats about it.

20sup1t.gif

I found one

That's a very good point, TS. I can say the same here in the US. In Brazil though, I could name quite a few...there was a time there few years ago that it was "cool" to watch UFC. That was the 2010-2011 AS ERA, and some other brazilian guys were shining too. Now nobody watches it, but some will tune in like on the Aldo fight, etc.

I dont know who these casual fans are that the marketing efforts are directed to? I have a few friends that i would consider casual fans, but not in the sense that most would....they are happy to discuss it or watch it at my house, but would never go out of their way to watch it on free tv and would never order a ppv. Otherwise, everyone else i work with, none of my extended family, nor my wife's extended family are evenly vaguely familiar with the sport beyond what ive told them. They couldn't pick GSP, JBJ, Anderson Silva, or McGregor out of a lineup. Theyve heard of Rousey, but thats about it.
You answered it yourself.

I reckon casuals are those who would never seek out the sport of their own volition but if presented will stay put and check it out. Guys like us who act like bears around a steak are the suckers they don't care about because they already got us. We want drug addicts to get better, said no dealer ever.

Think about the people who make it possible for shitty music to ALWAYS pollute the airwaves.

Those are the casuals.

I would say anyone that can't name more than 10 fighters is a casual fan.

conor-mcgregor-ufc-189-reebok-champion-jersey-shirt.jpg
ufc-reebok-black-flex-fit-hat.jpg

ireland-printed-poly_1.jpg

Casual fan starter kit
No casual would drop some 75 quid on these pearly rags.

I reckon that's Reebok's problem, amongst many. Casuals won't pick up their merchandise while hardcore fans hold a grudge for how it negatively affected the fighters. Who then is Reebok's target audience? Who is buying this stuff? Because TS's family obviously isn't sitting around the dinner table wearing their favorite fighter's kit at night...

No casual would drop some 75 quid on these pearly rags.

I reckon that's Reebok's problem, amongst many. Casuals won't pick up their merchandise while hardcore fans hold a grudge for how it negatively affected the fighters. Who then is Reebok's target audience? Who is buying this stuff? Because TS's family obviously isn't sitting around the dinner table wearing their favorite fighter's kit at night...

The whole concept of the fight kit is dumb, Reebok thought they would put together fight jerseys thinking that they would sell like football jerseys do and American football jerseys do, honestly the whole thing has just been a massive failure on both ends. Nobody in their right mind will drop $75-$95 on this shit. Reebok and the UFC took an L here.

"Casuals" are the ones that pay for and enjoy fights.

"Hardcores" are the ones that are too busy photoshopping pictures of Dana white and arguing about fighter pay to actually watch any fights.

The whole concept of the fight kit is dumb, Reebok thought they would put together fight jerseys thinking that they would sell like football jerseys do and American football jerseys do, honestly the whole thing has just been a massive failure on both ends. Nobody in their right mind will drop $75-$95 on this shit. Reebok and the UFC took an L here.
Daft, that.

I mean, team sports have a dynamic where one or two members stand out and serve as torch-bearers for the team for a bit; you are proud of your team or just enjoy watching them and their craft, so you get a Messi jersey or whatnot.

But MMA hasn't any teams per se, so the dynamic is much different. We root for one man out there, and wearing a one-man team's uniform seems...unwise, haha, for lack of a nicer term.

I could see though if training academies broke through and became more visible or even fight-determining, then perhaps you could get behind ATT, Vos or Blackzilians and rep their team jacket with your favorite member's insignia on it. Just a thought. Like you said, as is this is an L on their record.

Casual fans have a life outside of the UFC, "hardcores" don't.

Back