Question for you boxing guys: Is Shoguns boxing too bad?

CereserBr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know a lot of people criticize Shoguns hands, despite him having great KO ability, power and unbelievable timing... So, you guys that know the sweet science plz tell me if he lacks a lot of technique/fundamentals in boxing.
9b7269627f6f43fb6a0329fea47142b3.gif

I mean right there in that gif you just posted he drops his defending hand to his ass rather than glued to his chin...

Freddie Roach even went as far as to call him a shitty puncher let alone a decent boxer.

Guy above me made the biggest point that causes him issues. A lot of times he comes in straight foward winging hooks with his chin out.

As far as boxing goes, he is not great, but thank god he competes in MMA.

Great ko but I was really hoping Tehuna was gonna win

I mean right there in that gif you just posted he drops his defending hand to his ass rather than glued to his chin...

It is astounding how often MMA fighters actually do this.

It's more how he puts it all together, rather then being a technical master.

Shogun does boxing?

Never seen that in his fights, I've seen a lot of arm winging and charging forward in a straight line though. Boxing is a lot more than just good timing and KO power - Tank Abbot had both.

Boxing is a lot more than just punching someone. He does an okay job of punching people but is generally a pretty shitty boxer who does tons of things wrong (many of which have been mentioned; chin up hands down is breaking THE cardinal rule of boxing, the rule that my coach greeted fighters with and parted every day -- hands up chin down). That being said, his timing on his counters when he actually throws counters is good, his shot selection is occasionally decent (not always), and he has power.

That doesn't make him a good boxer, of course; he's still a shitty boxer (attacks and retreats in straight lines, rarely throws in combination, over-reliance on overhand right, head movement only when stationary and not being attacked) with a couple of good qualities, but those good qualities have carried him further than his bad qualities have hurt him, sometimes.

For MMA no. Even washed up if you watch him defend punches his hand position and defence is brilliant.

200w.gif

This was probably the best version of Shogun since Pride but the way he handles pressure is second to none. Hands up blocking everything. 90% of fighters can't do that.

He shows great composure which takes years to develop. Look at Brock for the opposite. But he's offensively just a power puncher now. Big over hands with not much else. Sad really.

i exercise my right to plead the fifth amendment.

Back