Condit's scrambling ability will be the difference in the Maia match-up

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Demian dominates everyone he gets on the ground, from Shale to Hory to Gunnar etc... Everyone except Jake Shields and Mark Munoz. The key attribute both these men have that Carlos also has in spades is scrambling at an elite level.

Munoz for as accomplished he is as a wrestler gets taken down alot but he is very rarely ever outscrambled in MMA (really only Weidman has been able to do that to him). He was able to scramble alot against Demian. Demian was never able to do anything to Munoz on the ground and he got him in favorable positions where he dominated others like Magny and Gunnar in. Those two arent great scramblers tho. I suggest ppl rewatch Maia/Munoz b/c it seems alot of Sherdog either forgot how this fight went or didnt watch it.

Condit has created scrambles and scrambled out of so many situations in MMA. Remember this is MMA not gi BJJ.

While Carlos' TDD is shit hes one of the very few fighters in MMA who uses the old school Sakuraba sub/kimura attempts to reverse things like single leg taichydowns which Demian loves.

macdonaldcondit200.gif
macdonaldcondit100_medium.gif

Hory was green in that fight but Carlos improved a shitton since then as well

Hes used it to sweep and mount prime Ellenberger, hes used it against Hendricks to sweep and get his back while he was in turtle and he used it against Kampmann as well. He almost got GSP with it when he had him against the cage but GSP showed good defense to get top position. Its been used in a couple of his WEC fights too especially in that one against that judo olympian. I dont expect him to sweep Demian as effortlessly as some of the guys he has but Carlos is crafty and opportunistic as they come

He hit the switch on the last remnants of prime GSP as well

n8m0l.jpg

Demian will be able to taichydown Carlos since his TDD sucks but those scrambles are gonna make it very tough and taxing for Demian. And his cardio/gastank looks good when hes dominating, winning every scramble and transitioning effortlessly with little to resistance from the opponent but weve seen him gas badly when his opponents can defend and fight back which Carlos definitely will specially with how aggressive and great his guard is (and really no fighter except prime GSP did much of anything against Carlos' guard and even GSP got hit ALOT from the bottom and put in bad positions, honestly neither dominated overall from top/botom and GSP spoke about how tough it was to control Carlos off his back and how he was the most dangerous/dynamic guy hes ever fought), as well for how elite his scrambling is.

If Carlos is able to out-scramble Demian (which he is well capable of) Demians gonna be in alot of trouble, specially late in the fight where his gas tank will be fading hard from the resistance and fight Carlos shows for his immense grappling attack.

Not guaranteeing a win either way here but keep in mind Demian is 2-2 against top 10 fighters @ WW. Hes only had 2 top 10 wins in the division in 4 years (Fitch and Brown). And has yet to beat a guy who was a true title contender or top tier WW at the time he fought (Fitch wasnt the same guy tho still top 10, Hendricks KO, Erick FOTN), Brown was ranked #9 in division, Magny was #14, Gunnar was 13th and gotten the shit beat out of him by Story. Story and DHK werent ranked when Demian fought them. The two truly elite WWs hes fought so far hes lost to, in Shields and Hory. Carlos will be the next one hes fought. Carlos is gonna test Demian and see if he is truly a top tier fighter @ WW.

Last edited:
Condit has never fought someone
like maia. & maia has obviously
gotten better. Condit's about to
become the natural born napper.

I think Condit needs to keep distance with his kicks. Don't let Maia get near him. Do something very similar what he did to Diaz, make Maia shoot from far away and defend those TDs. Then Maia will start to slow down like in fight with Rory. Easier said than done but that should be Condit's gameplan

I think Condit needs to keep distance with his kicks. Don't let Maia get near him. Do something very similar what he did to Diaz, make Maia shoot from far away and defend those TDs. Then Maia will start to slow down like in fight with Rory. Easier said than done but that should be Condit's gameplan

Agreed. But statistically Demian is one of the best taichydown artists in MMA and very skilled/strong/crafty at them; he will close the distance with how unorthodox Carlos' striking is and get to his legs/hips. Carlos doesnt have Horys jab which was important in keeping Demian at distance. Carlos wont be able to keep him away for 3 rounds and then his scrambling needs to be on point to tax Demians cardio.

Agreed. But statistically Demian is one of the best taichydown artists in MMA and very skilled/strong/crafty at them; he will close the distance with how unorthodox Carlos' striking is and get to his legs/hips. Carlos doesnt have Horys jab which was important in keeping Demian at distance. Carlos wont be able to keep him away for 3 rounds and then his scrambling needs to be on point to tax Demians cardio.
Agree but I think Condit should be measured and patient in this fight. Don't throw any spinning shit or any unortodox until Maia starts to slow down. Just stick front kick in his face, long strikes from outside because Condit does have reach advantage. If Condit just keeps it simple like Rory did Maia won't be able to grab him so easily. Maia doesn't have blast double or reactive TDs like GSP or Hendricks. Lets remember Maia had to drop down and pull guard on Matt Brown in 3rd round to drag him down. I think with smart gameplan Condit can do it. Of course if he goes balls out and just throws everything he wants Maia will just clinch with him and drag him to the ground. Condit must be smart in this fight.

And if Maia doesn't finish him but wins first two rounds and starts to slow down in 3rd....good fucking luck surviving against Condit who is behind and has to win. We might just see another Condit vs Rory type of fight.

Agree but I think Condit should be measured and patient in this fight. Don't throw any spinning shit or any unortodox until Maia starts to slow down. Just stick front kick in his face, long strikes from outside because Condit does have reach advantage. If Condit just keeps it simple like Rory did Maia won't be able to grab him so easily. Maia doesn't have blast double or reactive TDs like GSP or Hendricks. Lets remember Maia had to drop down and pull guard on Matt Brown in 3rd round to drag him down. I think with smart gameplan Condit can do it. Of course if he goes balls out and just throws everything he wants Maia will just clinch with him and drag him to the ground. Condit must be smart in this fight.

And if Maia doesn't finish him but wins first two rounds and starts to slow down in 3rd....good fucking luck surviving against Condit who is behind and has to win. We might just see another Condit vs Rory type of fight.
Maia by anything he wants minus striking.

Condit's ability to lock people down in the guard is exceptional, it's the best in the sport at this obscure thing that not a lot of guys are known for, but I can't see a world where Maia is outscrambled, especially the way he is now. Maia's ability to wrestle and suck people to the ground and hold them there is second to none. If Condit beats Maia, then i guess i can't make fun of his bad facial hair anymore.

Do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and watch the bjj scout videos that were just released about maia. Pay special attention to his tripod set up and how it makes him come out on top in nearly all scrambles.

Do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and watch the bjj scout videos that were just released about maia. Pay special attention to his tripod set up and how it makes him come out on top in nearly all scrambles.

Is this a new setup hes been using?

When grappling with Munoz he had him in bad positions including on his back but Mark won most of the scrambles and got out of those positions. He even got beneficial positions himself and was able to control Demian a bit in different sequences out of scrambles.

Brown is terrible at scrambling and Magny is way inconsistent and has terrible defensive grappling in general and always gives up position. Gunnars scrambling was never something he excelled at either and relied on transitions and excelled at using strikes to setup other variants of his submission game.

Really Shields and Munoz are the only guys Demian has fought in the last few years who have the scrambling ability of Condit. DHK isnt far off (got swept by Carlos easily) but that fight ended so prematurely.

Condit's ability to lock people down in the guard is exceptional, it's the best in the sport at this obscure thing that not a lot of guys are known for, but I can't see a world where Maia is outscrambled, especially the way he is now. Maia's ability to wrestle and suck people to the ground and hold them there is second to none. If Condit beats Maia, then i guess i can't make fun of his bad facial hair anymore.

Well he lost the majority of the scrambles against Munoz and Shields. We'll see how Carlos deals with the improvements in his game.

Diaz, with that clumsy diaz footwork, still managed to trap condit against the cage numerous times. If maia gets someone against the cage it's almost always a takedown.

Is this a new setup hes been using?

When grappling with Munoz he had him in bad positions including on his back but Mark won most of the scrambles and got out of those positions. He even got beneficial positions himself and was able to control Demian a bit in different sequences out of scrambles.

Brown is terrible at scrambling and Magny is way inconsistent and has terrible defensive grappling in general and always gives up position. Gunnars scrambling was never something he excelled at either and relied on transitions and excelled at using strikes to setup other variants of his submission game.

Really Shields and Munoz are the only guys Demian has fought in the last few years who have the scrambling ability of Condit. DHK isnt far off (got swept by Carlos easily) but that fight ended so prematurely.

It's been a wrinkle in his game that we've seen more often in his last six fights or so. The Munoz fight is a silly fight to draw conclusions from considering that was k1 maia and like what, 6 years ago? More?

Seriously though, check out those videos...they're good shit.

Well he lost the majority of the scrambles against Munoz and Shields. We'll see how Carlos deals with the improvements in his game.

Post Shields, Maia's control has been a whole lot better, i don't know if that's even arguable

Diaz, with that clumsy diaz footwork, still managed to trap condit against the cage numerous times. If maia gets someone against the cage it's almost always a takedown.
Lol at calling Nick's footwork clumsy. You clearly don't know anything about pressure fighting, Nick is a great pressure fighter that knows how to cut off his opponents. Just because he is not bouncing on his feet like Wonderboy doesn't mean his footwork is clumsy.

Condit is the TOP 3 most exciting WW currently...

and we're gonna see him get wrestle fucked to boredom.

Good job UFC match making team!

Horrible matchup for Condit. Do you remember the first round of Maia vs Rory?

Back