If Overeem beats Stipe does Lesnar get an immediate title shot if he beats Hunt?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
First off this has to be said.....Lesnar basically said in his ESPN return interview that if he wins against Hunt he'll keep fighting because it is a monetary plus for both the UFC and WWE. So if Lesnar wins this is not a 1-Off UFC fight for him.

If Overeem somehow doesn't get KO'd/TKO'd by Stipe and wins he'd be the new UFC champ. If Lesnar beats Hunt he is most likely 1 more fight away from a title shot......unless the champion is Overeem.

No UFC HW really has a string of 2 or more high ranking UFC wins right now that I can think of. So, it's really a toss up who either Stipe's 2nd title defense would be if he won or Overeem's 1st title fight if he wins.

If Overeem wins they could immediately throw Lesnar against him as his first title defense while the fire is hot. Lesnar and Overeem have history, with Overeem having a win over Lesnar while Lesnar was sick with diverticulitis. So the UFC can play this as a huge rematch with the champ vs. the former champ who is now supposedly 100%.

I think if the UFC waited and have Lesnar fight Cain for Number #1 Contender they take risk that Lesnar loses. If Lesnar fights the champ Overeem (if he's champ) and wins he can fight Cain as the new champ vs. former champ and that's a bigger money fight than Lesnar vs. Cain for Number #1 Contender. And people have gotten title shots coming off of a loss, so this isn't unheard of.

Also Lesnar getting a title shot is less risky for the UFC because he is less likely to pull out of a fight due to a training injury like Cain would. If Cain beats Browne, which I expect him to do if the old Cain shows up, and Lesnar beats Hunt they would both be only on a 1 fight win streak. Since no one else is close to a title shot either of them could get it and deserve it because there is no one else. If there is anyone else I'm missing who deserves a shot it may not matter as Lesnar is the biggest marquee money fighter the UFC has ever had and continues to be so (I believe UFC 200 will outsell UFC 100 to become the highest selling UFC ppv of all time).

So if Lesnar beats Hunt and Overeem beats Stipe do you think Lesnar gets a UFC HW title shot?

Nope. Lenar's deal is a one-off thing.

And beating Hunt is not enough to get a title shot anyway. It might be enough to get him a shot at Ben Rothwell or something.

If anything, overeem being the HW champ should make it harder for Brock to get a title shot. I'm not very interested in that rematch.

You know they'd do it.

Its only a one-off if he loses, guaranteed.

Overeem still beats Lesnar, as does Cain. But yea I could see the UFC bumping Lesnar to the front of the line.

Brock is only coming back for one fight.

Stipe beats Overeem and Hunt beats Lesnar.

Should he or will he?
No he shouldn't but he will. That has big money written all over it

It says it in the OP.

Here's the link to the interview.

I watched the whole interview the first time it aired. That's where I came across the information that it was a one-off thing.

I would say no, but the way the UFC have been handling title fights anything is possible. Lesnar could lose and still get a title shot.

He can get in line behind the winner of Cain/Brown and in the meantime fight Dos Santos.

I supose anything is possible ... the match ups i would also like to see are Lesnar vs Cigano and Overeem vs Cain.

I watched the whole interview the first time it aired. That's where I came across the information that it was a one-off thing.

She says is this a one off fight and he basically says if he loses it is. If he wins then it's up to the WWE allowing and that it would have to be if it was mutually benefits is for the UFC and WWE.

Do you think Lesnar fighting for the UFC is mutually beneficial for them and the UFC?

Hint.....the answer is yes.

Back