Agree or disagree: jones striking looked better than ever against DC.

BigNuggetIce

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I rewatched the fight last night for the first time since it aired & I didn't remember all the striking exchanges in the first 3 rounds. For some reason I just remembered a bunch of grinding on the cage but this was a really good fight. Also Jones was committing to his punches in a way I rarely see him do. He was throwing left straights & left hooks to the body. His kicks were really fast. His boxing still isn't awesome but I was more impressed by his striking in this fight than any other I think. What say you sherdog?

He got hit a lot and didn't control the distance like he did against others. But that is of course because Cormier is just that good. Maybe not, maybe yes.

If you count by who he is fighting against, then yes. If you want to care only about how he looked, there are fights that he did way better.

it did look great. cormier walked himself into alot of counters, but was also able to get some solid punches off himself.

Please no body kicks this time dc.

Let's be honest, it's really crazy how successful Jon is considering his striking sucks major ass. Amateurs at my boxing gym would wipe the floor with him. That shows you what height and reach and eyepokes can do to the confidence of his opponents. They are afraid to engage him even though his standup is shit.

He got hit a lot and didn't control the distance like he did against others. But that is of course because Cormier is just that good. Maybe not, maybe yes.

If you count by who he is fighting against, then yes. If you want to care only about how he looked, there are fights that he did way better.
What fights did he do way better? The only one I can think of that would rival this one is the rampage fight. & his punches were still lacking in that one.

Let's be honest, it's really crazy how successful Jon is considering his striking sucks major ass. Amateurs at my boxing gym would wipe the floor with him. That shows you what height and reach and eyepokes can do to the confidence of his opponents. They are afraid to engage him even though his standup is shit.
You sound bitter.

Let's be honest, it's really crazy how successful Jon is considering his striking sucks major ass.

jones beat rampage,shogun,vitor,dc,rahsad, and OSP using strikes. ok shogun and vitor were also grinded down into dust but jones clearly outsrtuck them

what a shit post. you can talk about his punching techniques, but his striking as a whole is some of the best in the ufc.

Either Jones will bring his A-game against DC again or maybe this is the new sub-prime JBJ that we are witnessing.

His striking doesn't suck, he is a decent kicker with good knees and great elbows.

His boxing does suck though.

Jones weakest area is boxing. Rumble ends him.

You're a fool. Jones proves that the ideal striking style in MMA does not have to be boxing based. Jones has some of the best kicks in MMA in all kinds of forms, the best elbows in MMA, and he's also effective with knees when he decides to use them. Not to mention that few are at his level when it comes to striking in the clinch. His muay Thai is one of the best, gtfo.

2016 and some fucking idiots still think that Boxing is the art of striking...Boxing is the art of punching! Striking is much more than using your hands and Jones is a phenomenal striker.

You're a fool. Jones proves that the ideal striking style in MMA does not have to be boxing based. Jones has some of the best kicks in MMA in all kinds of forms, the best elbows in MMA, and he's also effective with knees when he decides to use them. Not to mention that few are at his level when it comes to striking in the clinch. His muay Thai is one of the best, gtfo.

alot of people over look jones clinch striking as a striking aspect all together. to be fair unless its glover or dc jones usually ragdolls his opponents over from the clinch

From a purely technical standpoint ? No, there are far better MT practitioners in MMA. Best kicks? no.

Best elbows? Possibly, but that simply because not many fights even have the reach to throw standing elbows and elbows from guard.

From a purely technical standpoint ? No, there are far better MT practitioners in MMA. Best kicks? no.

Best elbows? Possibly, but that simply because not many fights even have the reach to throw standing elbows and elbows from guard.

I said one of the best, not the best. Learn how to read.

And what is that second sentence supposed to be? What the hell were you thinking? 'Waaa he can't be the best elbow striker because it's not fair that his genetics allow him to be the best'? Holy mackerel.

His striking doesn't suck, he is a decent kicker with good knees and great elbows.

His boxing does suck though.

By striking I meant his hands. You fucking goofs.

Jonny's hands suck. He is awkward as hell. He has no fluidity. If you trained anything you would know. He is successful largely due to having a foot of reach and height on his opponents and yes, eyepokes. Take that away (Gus) and he looks like deer in the headlights. He only landed that one hail mary elbow (yes, his elbows are good) - Gus boxed the shit out of him.

Because if u recklessly close the distance ...
.. he is going to take you down and hell blow you.

His kicks are nothing special either. He only throws that retarded oblique shit. His clinch, wrestling, and elbows are however very good. But his hands are atrocious for a fighter his caliber.

Back