Style wise, is Rockhold a better matchup for Silva than Weidman?

EricaLovesUFC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I say absolutely. Weidman stuck to his game plan against Silva, he didn't overcommit and allow Silva to do his usual damage with counter strikes

Rockhold, with his confidence and arrogance, I think would overcommit against Silva. Not saying Silva would beat him, but I think he would have more opportunities than he did against Weidman

The Chris beat Anderson standing both fights - imagine The Chris versus Anderson with a Chael gameplan.

R A G D O L L 2.0

at this point, I don't see Silva beating anybody in the top 10

4-5 yrs ago, yeah sure maybe

The Chris beat Anderson standing both fights - imagine The Chris versus Anderson with a Chael gameplan.

R A G D O L L 2.0

The Chris has a CHIN unlike Rockhold who lost his to the T-Rex some time ago.

That's being said Anderson is 40 and had a severe surgery we should be thankful we even still see him compete.

771919944.gif

R A G D O L L 2.0

Weidman fought Silva the same way Tito fought Vitor. Using defensive boxing and forcing a fighter to come after you is not winning the stand up

maybe 2013... these days not so much

Rockhold has more power than Weidman, Bisping, or Diaz and if he takes Anderson down once it's all over

That's being said Anderson is 40 and had a severe surgery we should be thankful we even still see him compete.

I personally think he should have retired after the first loss to Chris - he's got nothing left to prove. I absolutely respect him for coming back after such a horrific injury though.

Let it go man. Silva has no business competing with the top 5. He's old and Luke is fuckin huge. Seriously as an Anderson fan i think that would be a murder.

Silva's done. After the bs effort he put in against Bisping I wouldn't pick him against anyone in the top 5.

Older pinpoint counter striker vs an aggressive fighter with nonexistent head movement

I can make cases for both

Weidman beat an old, slow Anderson that had lost his chin. So did Bisping. Anderson struggled with an unranked ww. Luke, Vitor, Jacare, Romero, the top 10 ww's And probably a couple big lws would all beat the Old Anderson Weidman fought.

Anderson 2005-2009 is a different story.

Weidman fought Silva the same way Tito fought Vitor. Using defensive boxing and forcing a fighter to come after you is not winning the stand up

But knocking them out and dropping them in two consecutive fights all the while out striking them and avoiding all damage outside of low kicks is winning the stand up.

At this point in his career, I'm not sure if Anderson has a chance against either guy. But of the two, he certainly has a better shot against Luke. Weidman has more power in his hands than Luke, and is a much better offensive wrestler. Luke obviously has better kicks than Weidman, but it's probably not a good idea to get into a kicking match with Anderson. And while I think that Luke would have a good chance to finish Anderson if he got him down, he's not exactly a takedown artist.

at this point, I don't see Silva beating anybody in the top 10

4-5 yrs ago, yeah sure maybe

lol what? I don't like Silva. Never liked him.
But he can beat anybody at MW even nowadays.
He basically knocked the current champion out (but the round ended).

Any great wrester is going to be a very serious problem for Silva and always has.

Weidman has fantastic wrestling that is better than Luke's so stylistically I'd say Weidman is the tougher match up.

However Luke is anything but a "favorable" match up for Silva. He would be in very big trouble.

Nope

He loses to Luke also

Has a better chance against chris

Any great wrester is going to be a very serious problem for Silva and always has.

Weidman has fantastic wrestling that is better than Luke's so stylistically I'd say Weidman is the tougher match up.

However Luke is anything but a "favorable" match up for Silva. He would be in very big trouble.

You suck and are a hater. And it's hard for me to say that to a person with a Mark Hunt avatar.

But it's still true.

Luke throws sloppy punches and rarely protects his chin. Anderson could KO him without a doubt.

If Luke fought smarter, he would likely win at this point in their careers.

I think so. Rockhold has the superior ground game but Weidman has the better takedowns. Weidman can shoot for a double leg but Rockhold would probably have to clinch to take Silva down. And Silva's clinch game has always been strong. However with that said, if Rockhold manages to get Silva down, he would straight massacre him.

I think so but one of the big reasons for me is that I think Weidman has a crazy good chin. Anderson is probably not ever gonna win a decision against someone who can take him down really easily, so its just not favourable for Anderson. No clear paths to victory.

I think Rockhold is clearly a superior fighter to Weidman skill for skill but you gotta have some questions about his chin at this point. Anderson could land something and it's probably more probably than Bisping doing it!

Back