Big John McCarthy: Keep your hands closed ?

Bmartin89

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There is no rule in the rulebook that says you have to keep your hand closed at all times, I was screaming at my tv yelling STFU John he's not breaking any of the rules. I don't understand why he always says that, If i was the fighter i would say STFU unless i poke him in the eye get the f**** out of my face with that bullshit. I think he is the worst ref in the UFC right now.

You say something, TS?
75283031-750x340-1408208780.jpg

It's a measure to prevent tomfoolery. I don't think he's going to do anything about open hands, but hopefully he started taking points for eyepokes.

Ok then fuck the warnings. Lose a point for every eye poke.

They can have their hands open but if he warns them and they pokes the other guy in the eye he can immediately take a point

I agree, the ref shouldn't be meddling with how fighters conduct themselves within the rules, but they'll need to actually penalize eye pokes then.

Big John seems to run out of patience more quickly in Bellator fights than in the UFC. Maybe because the Bellator crowds are smaller and the mic picks up most of his conversations with fighters.

In the Kimbo/Dada fight it just seemed like he had zero patience with both of them and just wanted it to be over, no different than most of us at home. First time I can remember fighters being stood up quickly after side control and full mount.

Do you really not understand why BJM doesn't want a fighter to stick his fingers out towards their opponent?

it's possible to have and open hand and not jab your opponent in the eye

Ok then fuck the warnings. Lose a point for every eye poke.
I can get behind this. 1st time warning. 2nd time instant point deduction.

I think hes warning them. Il be interested to see if after he says something to jon if after the inevitable poke he deducts a point.

TS is just a Jones fanboy thats mad his boy wont get to cheat this fight

Obviously depends on the situation. Spamming a wide open hand in an opponents face fingers first obviously should be called out on though.

There is no rule in the rulebook that says you have to keep your hand closed at all times, I was screaming at my tv yelling STFU John he's not breaking any of the rules. I don't understand why he always says that, If i was the fighter i would say STFU unless i poke him in the eye get the f**** out of my face with that bullshit. I think he is the worst ref in the UFC right now.
so your issue is with him warning the fighter, not with the fighter eye poking?

I see no issue with Big John asking fighters to close their hands, especially if they are waving them in front of another fighter. having suffered an eye poke during sparring I can tell you its fucking horrible

Better to have overzealous "action refs" than tentative refs that would allow shit like this to happen:

hqdefault.jpg

BJM is a righteous ref. JJ is known for poking eyes. JJ being intentionally or not on poking eyes, bjm is being fair.

I like it when the refs say whatever they want but I like it more when fighters say fuck off.

Tell McCarthy quit being a bitch and get back to whooping ass.

Even after the fight pull a Floyd vs Larry Merchant and tell him he doesn't know shit about mma. :D

Shut the fuck up. You only want Jon ''Poke'' Jones to get away with his bs.

I agree the way he was screaming at Elias i was like wtf. Why are you distracting a man while a knock out machine in Sam Alvey was swinging bricks at his head. It was just plain weird. The Jon haters have come out the wood works, but i know what you mean.

as far as i know, bjm telling fighters to keep their fingers closed is out of his jurisdiction and above his pay grade.

i think, however, if it gets to that point, instead of telling them to keep their fingers closed he should say i will take a point regardless of if it seems intentional or not the next time a poke occurs.

Yeah BJM needs to officiate within the rules and just take points away for even the first eyepoke. You can't make up rules for certain fighters. This is like telling a guy who knees people in the nuts a lot, not to throw any knees at all.

Back