How would you like to see the Welterweight division pan out over the next year?

Towelie by TKO

The Continental Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Welterweight has always been a deep division, but right now it's really friggin stacked.

We got Lawler vs Woodley right around the corner, Wonderboy waiting on deck for his shot at the winner, a bunch of pivotal WW fights on UFC 202 and the possible return of GSP.

How would you like to see the division pan out?

I think Lawler beats Woodley, but I have no idea who wins Lawler vs Wonderboy. If Lawler wins, I want GSP to come back and fight him. If not, just have him fight the winner of Condit vs Maia. If Wonderboy wins, Condit/Maia should assuredly get the next shot, since I don't see GSP taking the Wonderboy fight.

After that it gets hard to predict. Cerrone might beat Story and become a threat at WW. Brown could string some wins together and get back into contention. Hendricks or Gastelum could do the same. Magny could solidify himself as a title contender as well.

Out of all the fights that could potentially happen, I'd be most hyped for Lawler vs GSP or Wonderboy vs Brown 2.

It's the best division right now for me. Sorry LW, but the champ there doesn't fight a lot, and the top of the division has not been fighting against each other.

It's the best division right now for me. Sorry LW, but the champ there doesn't fight a lot, and the top of the division has not been fighting against each other.

Welterweight has always been awesome, even when GSP, who I was never a fan of, was running the show.

Lawler knocks out Woodley then Wonderboy knocks out Lawler, Wonderboy beats both Condit/Maia, then Kim beats Magny - idk what happens to him after. Tumenov knocks his next opponents out, then does the same to Magny, then Woodley and Lawler, wins the belt to whoever holds it at that time.

Rory free agency drama
GSP return creating clusterfuck at WW and MW
Maia and Magny still not getting title shots, they start bitching and talking bad trash
Conor stirring the pot, either campaigning for a shot or campaigning for Nelson to get a shot
More decision controversy involving Lawler/Wonderboy/Woodley
Hendricks being Hendricks, Big Rigg excuses galore
Cerrone jumping around divisions and making shit complicated
USADA flags high profile guy

Id like to see them finally bring in Askren.

Id like to see them finally bring in Askren.

You and me both, but it ain't happening sadly, pretty sure Askren's ONE contract will see him retire with the company, plus at this point it's over between him and the UFC. The new Chinese owners certainly won't have someone like him back either, disrespect for authority is a big no no for them.

Welterweight has always been a deep division, but right now it's really friggin stacked.

We got Lawler vs Woodley right around the corner, Wonderboy waiting on deck for his shot at the winner, a bunch of pivotal WW fights on UFC 202 and the possible return of GSP.

How would you like to see the division pan out?

I think Lawler beats Woodley, but I have no idea who wins Lawler vs Wonderboy. If Lawler wins, I want GSP to come back and fight him. If not, just have him fight the winner of Condit vs Maia. If Wonderboy wins, Condit/Maia should assuredly get the next shot, since I don't see GSP taking the Wonderboy fight.

After that it gets hard to predict. Cerrone might beat Story and become a threat at WW. Brown could string some wins together and get back into contention. Hendricks or Gastelum could do the same. Magny could solidify himself as a title contender as well.

Out of all the fights that could potentially happen, I'd be most hyped for Lawler vs GSP or Wonderboy vs Brown 2.
I want to see GSP go on a run at MW so he won't factor in.

I want to see Lawler beat Woodley, then Wonderboy in a classic. In the mean time I want to see Nick pick up an impressive win. If Lawler has an injury suspension after Woodley I'd like to see Nick v Wonderboy. Regardless I want to see Nick get that win and then get a title shot against Robbie.

Lawler beats Woodley, but mercifully loses to Wonderboy before he takes too much more damage. Maia gets cockblocked and then loses a subsequent fight (maybe Lawler). Cerrone goes on a run and gets a shot at WW, Magny and Hendricks become the true gatekeepers. New guys come in. Shit gets real.

Lawler beats Woodly, then goes to war with Wonderboy for an epic 5 rounder with Thompson the victor. Maia vs Condit, Condit wins then fights the Wonderboy. He gets robbed again after 1,2,5'ing the Wonderboy, and now it's time for Wonderboy to fight Cerrone. The Cowboy wins by utilizing powerful leg kicks in the first rounds, followed by punches in bunches and finally a TKO late 4th when Wonderboy isn't as fast. GSP never returns to the division, just cashes in on random catchweight fights like Conor. BJ Penn comes back and wins a few fights, but his motivation wears off and he loses to Hendricks.

You and me both, but it ain't happening sadly, pretty sure Askren's ONE contract will see him retire with the company, plus at this point it's over between him and the UFC. The new Chinese owners certainly won't have someone like him back either, disrespect for authority is a big no no for them.
It's a shame really. There is no good reason why he wasn't signed when he left Bellator.

Larkin goes super saiyan and TKO's everyone including Lawler, Wonderboy and Lawler's mom.

Back