Top matchups missed due to a fighter playing spoiler

El General

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
How often have we seen a situation where we really want to see fighter A vs fighter B but fighter B has to beat fighter C in order for it to happen. And no one wants to see fighter A vs fighter C. Then fighter C pulls the upset and a coveted matchup is taken from us, and it never comes to fruition ever.

For me, the top case of this was the potential matchup of cro cop vs couture for the ufc hw title in 2007. Cro cop had won the owgp in 2006 and randy had a magical career resurgence at 44 and dominated tim sylvia for the hw belt. All mirko had to do was take out gonzaga, and we all know what happened. Then mirko vs randy never ended up happening. What are the top situations like this sherdog can recall?

(This doesnt include matchups that eventually happened or missed dream matchups that weren't ever going to happen, ie. Gsp vs anderson).

Condit vs Magny > Condit vs Maia, offtopic but still

Shogun rampage 2 for the belt comes to mind, forrest played spoiler.

When I read the post title I immediate thought Crocop/Couture.

Ben Askren vs. UFC WW. That Russian or whatever guy who just outclassed Bendo couldn't do shit to him.

Askren doesn't have an exciting style but he talks solid popcorn. Would love to see him blanket UFC contenders, or gets a reality check via KTFO. Either would have been cool. Egos on both sides spoiled it

CC vs Randy would've been good. Although I think Randy would've taken him down or just kept him against the cage for 5 rounds.

Lawler vs McGregor. Diaz saved McGregor's soul.

Nog vs lesnar was robbed by mir.
On the same note randy vs mir was robbed by brock.

Ben Askren vs. UFC WW. That Russian or whatever guy who just outclassed Bendo couldn't do shit to him.

Askren doesn't have an exciting style but he talks solid popcorn. Would love to see him blanket UFC contenders, or gets a reality check via KTFO. Either would have been cool. Egos on both sides spoiled it

GSP provided enough blanketship at WW to last two lifetimes.

We don't need another one in Ben.

Dana made the smart business decision to let this overpriced insomnia cure go be a big fish in a Far East archipelago somewhere.

GSP provided enough blanketship at WW to last two lifetimes.

We don't need another one in Ben.

Dana made the smart business decision to let this overpriced insomnia cure go be a big fish in a Far East archipelago somewhere.

GSP was a much more complete MMA fighter than Askren ever was. Askren had little outside of his blanketing. His game was so anti excitement Bellator had to let him go. But that is exactly what makes him exciting for me, especially when coupled with his bitterness towards the UFC and in particular, Dana White. GSP on the other hand was always a company man and a PR pro. Imagine Askren laying to UDs against all UFC stars and trashing Dana every time. They can't just get rid of him, and if they can't make him lose what are they going to do? Therefore POPCORN

Good question. Would Aldo/Pettis have still had a chance if there was no RDA? I see it still happening if Edgar beats Aldo.

Fedor vs anyone if he had beaten old age and shit management.

GSP was a much more complete MMA fighter than Askren ever was. Askren had little outside of his blanketing. His game was so anti excitement Bellator had to let him go. But that is exactly what makes him exciting for me, especially when coupled with his bitterness towards the UFC and in particular, Dana White. GSP on the other hand was always a company man and a PR pro. Imagine Askren laying to UDs against all UFC stars and trashing Dana every time. They can't just get rid of him, and if they can't make him lose what are they going to do? Therefore POPCORN

You hate Dana THAT much that you would endure obscene amounts of boredom just to see him grit his teeth at having to put up with Askren?

Come on man... sure it would be another Tito vs. Dana type of feud but it's not worth the loss of entertainment value in my book.

I may be in the minority here but I like the fact that Dana factors into his business decisions whether a fighter can hold the fan's attention span.

Back