Roy Nelson is an anomaly....

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
How did he win so many fights? He literally just spams overhand rights. Its his only weapon. How does this connect on a professional fighter?

Law of averages. Throw enough and they'll connect. Plus he's super hard to put away so you'll be having to avoid them for the duration of the fight.

He came up in an extremely weak era. He also used to be Better btw. Fairly certain his physique and conditioning has gotten worse over time. I'd say he's become more and more 1 dimensional too. He used to be quicker. Now it's just slow plodding and looking for the overhand. Not that he was ever super versatile but he's gotten worse

granite chin and a lot of power take away one of those and he'd have A LOT more loses on his record

Henderson uses the same leg kick to straight overhand since 1960 and it still works too.

ka4spf.jpg

Deal with it TS

You have to slip 50 overhand rights, he only has to land 1

He has legit BJJ. Also, can take a punch and just throw big Bombs. In the division he is in, not hard and easy to get away with.

bc.gif

Henderson uses the same leg kick to straight overhand since 1960 and it still works too.

Yeah, but we have to define "works." Roy has had one KO in his last 7 fights. And that was against Big Nog. As he's gotten older, slower and more predictable, his one-trick pony style "works" less and less often.

The same is true for Hendo, his last fight against Lombard notwithstanding. He's 3-6 since 2011, and only wins against guys who are willing to brawl with him.

He has legit BJJ. Also, can take a punch and just throw big Bombs. In the division he is in, not hard and easy to get away with.

bc.gif

Yeah, but the BJJ isn't used much, except for occasional sub-defense or top control. His last submission win was in 2006 against some no-name guy.

He's a Kung Fu fighter, guy does as he pleases.

Yeah, but we have to define "works." Roy has had one KO in his last 7 fights. And that was against Big Nog. As he's gotten older, slower and more predictable, his one-trick pony style "works" less and less often.

The same is true for Hendo, his last fight against Lombard notwithstanding. He's 3-6 since 2011, and only wins against guys who are willing to brawl with him.

I didn't say it still works as well as back then, but it does work.
Like any trick, it becomes less effective as time goes by.
I can't fathom how the Hell it can work at a high level nowadays, but...

To be fair it only works on washed up or mediocre fighters. Any top fighter he fights beat the McDonalds out of him.

He used to be 10x more agile and has progressively gotten slower, fatter and more 1 dimensional with age. (which is somewhat expected no?)

He came up in an extremely weak era. He also used to be Better btw. Fairly certain his physique and conditioning has gotten worse over time. I'd say he's become more and more 1 dimensional too. He used to be quicker. Now it's just slow plodding and looking for the overhand. Not that he was ever super versatile but he's gotten worse
He used to use his Kung Fu and kicks more, and a lot more lateral movement. Scary to think of the fighter he'd be if he'd been in the UFC more of his career!

I'll always be grateful for him winning tuf and causing Dana to awkwardly hand him the trophy while making a face like a 7 year old who doesn't wanna brush his teeth before bed.

Oh, and of course for this gem
Roy-Nelson-wins-TUF-10-Finale.jpg

Which I just turned into
DEXATI20160628150851_zpsfi3rcxpa.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back