Jon Jones fires back after criticism from his last performance

Uncommon Valor

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
"I think a lot factored into that last performance. I had a lot going on in my personal life. I was in jail earlier that month and my mom got her leg cut off in the same week. I hadn't fought in over 15 months, I had a last minute opponent change, a bigger, stronger, knockout artist as opposed to a grinder. Just a lot of factors, re-factored into that performance," Jones told FOX Sports on Wednesday. "I felt just slightly off my game because of all those different factors and it resulted in a not very entertaining performance."

"To a mixed martial artist, to a trained eye, that fight was masterful in some ways," Jones continued. "Did I get a big knockout and get drunk people off their seats? No, but did I hit and not be hit? Yes. I've fought many different martial artists and as a martial artist myself, I look at it as being masterful. I fought with no agenda. I wasn't trying to be entertaining. I wasn't trying to finish the fight necessarily. I was just out there fighting. I was just out there enjoying my art and I'm really happy with the performance."

"To elaborate a little bit, you watch Luke (Rockhold) try to go out there and be impressive, showboating and doing all this (expletive) and he gets caught by Michael Bisping. Everything that he's worked for is over. You watch Fabricio Werdum go out there making faces before the fight, rushing in against (Stipe) Miocic, trying to entertain a huge Brazilian crowd and he gets caught and everything's over. You watch Anderson Silva fight the way he fights and ultimately ends up losing the fight.

"When you fight the way I fought, the way my last fight was, and you come out on top it's like how much does entertaining really matter?" Jones said. "It's like Floyd Mayweather, goes out there and fights smart and becomes one of the greatest boxers of all time and makes a ton of money."

Rest of the article here: http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...um-criticism-from-his-last-performance-062316

Everything he said was right.

gif-ufc-jon-jones-daniel-cormier-1775534.gif

Jones doesn't make excuses...Jones is the reason other fighters make excuses.

With all the nonsense outside of his training (hit and run, legal stuff, jail time) dude performed pretty well, all things considered.

That being said, hoping DC wins the rematch.

I don't want him to lose Vs Cormier because I still want him to face Rumble.

+ if he lose he won't move up to Heavyweight soon...

Jones just shut a LOT of people's bullshit down. Though they won't give him any credit. Is normal.

Jon Jones is so good that his "bad performance" = dominating a dangerous fighter in OSP (#6) while dealing with ring rust.

P4P GOAT

....yet, will not test himself at a
higher weight:rolleyes:. If Jones aspires to
be a boring champion like floyd,
I'll have no interest in seeing him
fight. I was already getting a
sneaking suspicion considering he
hasn't finished a fight in like, 6
of his previous opponents.

Is that really "firing back"? Or is that a rational assessment of the real world?

"How much does entertaining really matter?" wow just wow

Jones doesn't care about us!

It always weirds me out when people make excuses for wins. I just don't get it.

If Jonez fired back more during the fight he wouldn't have to do it in a press release.

"Did I get a big knockout and get drunk people off their seats?"

Damn brah... drunk or not you don't gotta call me out! (if you must know, I had a few, but it's not like I didn't re-watch it when I waz sober) I didn't even need a knockout if you would've shown up!

"Don't question me unless you're out there doing the things that I'm doing at the level that I'm doing it."

Damn... good point there.

Last edited:
P4P GOAT

....yet, will not test himself at a
higher weight:rolleyes:. If Jones aspires to
be a boring champion like floyd,

I'll have no interest in seeing him
fight. I was already getting a
sneaking suspicion considering he
hasn't finished a fight in like, 6
of his previous opponents.

A boring champion like Floyd? Oh, you mean the boxer who is the highest draw in combat history. Everyone loves to pay for boring I guess.

Back