Sonnen on Lesnar: he wasn't a good wrestler

Breaking

One shall stand, and one shall fall.
@Black
Reaction score
Sonnen says he was an effective wrestler, but not a good one.

He says that in the NCAA finals the year Lesnar won, he weighed in at 265. His opponent weighed in at 220.

He says that even with a 45 lb weight advantage, he needed double overtime to win the match.

He then says that there aren't many wrestlers alive who, given a 45 lb advantage, couldn't put that guy away in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Brock talk starts at 4:05

Kurt Angle said the same thing.

He won because he was a freaking monster basically...

well d'oh

Meh, Brock himself has stated that he wasnt that great technically

as usual, Chael picks an unpopular angle, but defends it well.

he is much better at verbally defending awkward opinions than physically defending awkward positions.

in retrfospect, if Silva's reign was up, I wish Chal had ended it instead of Weidman, as Chael isnt credited enough.

Interesting. Chael would know. In saying that, winning the DIV1 championship makes u at the very least a "good wrestler" regardless of circumstances.

White knight honor defenders imminent in five, four , three, two, one .....

Only wrestler to defeat undertaker at wrestl... oh wait.

Who cares

His wrestling is great

His striking on the other hand....

Seems a stretch to say an NCAA D1 champion "wasn't good”.

Who cares

His wrestling is great

His striking on the other hand....
The point is that his wrestling ISN'T great.

So I guess that means you care?

he still won so he's good he just has other advantages to makeup for things he lacks

"...According to Angle, Lesnar thought that he would dominate the match due to his size advantage. Lesnar was not only taller than Angle, but at about 300 pounds, held about an 80-pound weight advantage.

But Angle was undeterred as he used his impeccable technique to best the future UFC Heavyweight Champion.

“Brock was in the ring with Big Show,” Angle said. “He was literally throwing this 530-pound man around the ring like a little kid. I’d never seen anyone lift up Big Show like that without his help, but Brock was picking him up and throwing him around.”

“I said to Big Show, ‘Get out of the ring.’ Then I tapped Brock on the should and said, ‘Let’s go.’ And that’s when we started.”

“I know I’m not the biggest person, but I’ve annihilated people a lot bigger than me,” he said. “You’re one of the best in the world as an NCAA champion like Brock, but when you’re an Olympic gold medalist, that’s a whole other level. The guys who saw Brock and I wrestle that witnessed how much of a gap there is between the two.”

With two massive competitors (and egos) the intensity escalated rather quickly.

“We were doing take-downs, and it was very, very tight,” Angle remembered. “Brock showed me that he knows how to wrestle. A lot of heavyweights are big and strong and know how to use their weight, but Brock knew how to wrestle. He was a lightweight who grew into a heavyweight body, and he brought that technique with him. That’s how good Brock was.”

Although Brock was technically sound, Angle said that he did not score a point on him.

“When I got done with him, I didn’t want to wrestle him again,” Angle said...."
- Kurt Angle.

Last edited:
Sonnen is the best kind of talker but meh analyst. He might be right here but overall hes made some stupid and straight up terrible breakdowns of some fights in the past.
I know many didn't give Holly a shot vs Rousey but Sonnen went even a level higher and questioned her credentials in boxing.

BCITOXMIRMZWVYB.20081002210332.jpg
being his opponent and seeing this freaking Viking across the mat had to win him a cpl matches tho.

"...According to Angle, Lesnar thought that he would dominate the match due to his size advantage. Lesnar was not only taller than Angle, but at about 300 pounds, held about an 80-pound weight advantage.

But Angle was undeterred as he used his impeccable technique to best the future UFC Heavyweight Champion.

“Brock was in the ring with Big Show,” Angle said. “He was literally throwing this 530-pound man around the ring like a little kid. I’d never seen anyone lift up Big Show like that without his help, but Brock was picking him up and throwing him around.”

“I said to Big Show, ‘Get out of the ring.’ Then I tapped Brock on the should and said, ‘Let’s go.’ And that’s when we started.”

“I know I’m not the biggest person, but I’ve annihilated people a lot bigger than me,” he said. “You’re one of the best in the world as an NCAA champion like Brock, but when you’re an Olympic gold medalist, that’s a whole other level. The guys who saw Brock and I wrestle that witnessed how much of a gap there is between the two.”

With two massive competitors (and egos) the intensity escalated rather quickly.

“We were doing take-downs, and it was very, very tight,” Angle remembered. “Brock showed me that he knows how to wrestle. A lot of heavyweights are big and strong and know how to use their weight, but Brock knew how to wrestle. He was a lightweight who grew into a heavyweight body, and he brought that technique with him. That’s how good Brock was.”

Although Brock was technically sound, Angle said that he did not score a point on him.

“When I got done with him, I didn’t want to wrestle him again,” Angle said...."
- Kurt Angle.
You highlighted the wrong points. I've Offered some editorial advice.

Back