Has it not occurred to anyone that the real reason GSP doesn't want Lawler...

Poser Caust

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is because of Rory Macdonald and Stephen Thompson ?. GSP has been training partner for both extensively, he is just doing the right thing and not getting in the way of his friends dreams when he has other avenues at 155 or 185.

It would be selfish for GSP to come back at WW and that's why he hasn't. GSP is not afraid of Lawler don't be stupid.

Is because of Rory Macdonald and Stephen Thompson ?. GSP has been training partner for both extensively, he is just doing the right thing and not getting in the way of his friends dreams when he has other avenues at 155 or 185.

It would be selfish for GSP to come back at WW and that's why he hasn't. GSP is not afraid of Lawler don't be stupid.
He will not fight lawler because that would make him the champion again at WW.He does not want to become the champion,defending a title boringly twice a year against maia etc.He wants money fights!Mcgregor,bisping,nick diaz etc.The narative of him winning the mw/lw title is also a good sell...

The ufc no matter how much they want the 2-3 ppv's and the numbers he will bring,are not going to ridicule a whole division by giving GSP a chance to take the title and then forfeit it.

pretty sure Georges isn't afraid of Lawler, or of losing to him. Lawler isn't that good people.

charalsias gets it.

Why go back just to be champ again? Been there, done that. Georges will be back for money super fights or to challenge himself (not likely, so i'm more on the money fights angle), and he'll get them at MW.

GSP isn't making 155, I don't care what he has said. And 185 is only an avenue because he can beat Bisping. The arguable GOAT can do whatever he wants, but a victory over Bisping cements him as the GOAT, period.

That said, I think he is letting Wonderboy have his shot, because Rush is that cool of a cat. He, however, will fight Robbie if he wins, and probably has no problem against Thompson if it comes to it.

GSP also beats this new version of Big Rig in a rematch, which if he comes back, we will see.

Georges barely survived a five-round beating from Hendricks with a gifted decision, no chance in hell he wants to end up how Rory did against Lawler.

What has Thompson's level of involvement been at Tristar?

He will not fight lawler because that would make him the champion again at WW.He does not want to become the champion,defending a title boringly twice a year against maia etc.He wants money fights!Mcgregor,bisping,nick diaz etc.The narative of him winning the mw/lw title is also a good sell...

The ufc no matter how much they want the 2-3 ppv's and the numbers he will bring,are not going to ridicule a whole division by giving GSP a chance to take the title and then forfeit it.

So if he were to fight Bisping, it'd be non title fight?

Tristar helped Thompson round out the holes in his game, who knows if would have made it this far without them.

GSP would beat Hendricks in a rematch, Hendricks hasn't been the same since the lawler fights. He would also beat Lawler IMO, but he doesn't need to.

I was thinking he doesn't want brain damage, to me it doesn't matter who he fights I'll watch it regardless

it's because Lawler is not a draw. end of story
GSP is only coming back if he can get a massive payday. he used to be able to carry a card by himself but his PVP numbers were falling in his last few fights and it will be 3 years since his last fight, a lot of casual people new to the sport will not know who he is

So if he were to fight Bisping, it'd be non title fight?
Title fight.But no one considers bisping the best at mw.So if gsp wins,he goes to lw wins that and vacates the mw.Then the new champion is not under gsp's shadow.No one will say to jacare/rockhold/romero/weidman you are a paper champ cause you did not defeat gsp...

GSP isn't making 155, I don't care what he has said. And 185 is only an avenue because he can beat Bisping. The arguable GOAT can do whatever he wants, but a victory over Bisping cements him as the GOAT, period.

That said, I think he is letting Wonderboy have his shot, because Rush is that cool of a cat. He, however, will fight Robbie if he wins, and probably has no problem against Thompson if it comes to it.

GSP also beats this new version of Big Rig in a rematch, which if he comes back, we will see.
GSP loses to Hendricks. He won't be able to play his little "strategy take downs-boring ass-hold someone down to avoid actual fighting" game against Johnny because he's the better wrestler and def cannot hang with Big Rig on the feet. He barely did in their first fight and if you watch the evolution of Hendricks' striking you'd see that it is pretty advanced. He outpointed Lawler imho and the fact that he lost to Thompson is not indicative because the latter is actually that much better than everyone in that division when it comes to striking. I don't mean to say Georges does not have the technical ability to strike, he does, but does not have the heart to go with that skill. To me he's afraid to get hit and that shows.

Has it occurred to anyone that he will fight Lawler right after he loses to Bisping ?

Next up:

Gsp loses to Bisping
Woodley loses to Lawler
GSP fights Lawler - dunno what happens
Wonderboy fights Maia in the meantime for a shot at GSP/Lawler.
Jacare fights Bisping never :)

Sounds like Georges is looking to come back at MW.

He wants fights he can win and make money.

I don't think he takes Lawler these days.

GSP loses to Hendricks. He won't be able to play his little "strategy take downs-boring ass-hold someone down to avoid actual fighting" game against Johnny because he's the better wrestler and def cannot hang with Big Rig on the feet. He barely did in their first fight and if you watch the evolution of Hendricks' striking you'd see that it is pretty advanced. He outpointed Lawler imho and the fact that he lost to Thompson is not indicative because the latter is actually that much better than everyone in that division when it comes to striking. I don't mean to say Georges does not have the technical ability to strike, he does, but does not have the heart to go with that skill. To me he's afraid to get hit and that shows.
Johny ain't that Johny anymore.

He hasn't fought like that in awhile. I think GSP smokes him these days.

he needs a warmup fight or else he could end like Silva

Look, I like Big Rig, but with the IV ban, he isn't going to be the same fighter he was. That said, GSP cut insane amounts of weight as well, so I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

GSP is not exactly a pushover. The guy was pretty distracted his last fight (a fight I do think Johnny won), so we will see. GSP pre-Serra was lighting people up on the feet. Maybe a couple years off will bring back that striking confidence.

Who knows, but the guy, boring or not is the arguable GOAT for a reason.

Back