Stephen Thompson talks GSP Return and if Friendship would Prevent Potential Fight

PolskiGhost

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
New interview with Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson over the weekend on Submission Radio

Some Topics Covered:
  • Recent win over Rory MacDonald
  • How mentally gruelling the fight was and why it didn’t play out like he expected
  • The negative reaction and boos from the crowd
  • The conversation he had with Rory backstage
  • What the win does for him and his title campaign
  • His thoughts on Tyron Woodley as a title challenger and why he wants to be the first man to dethrone Robbie Lawler
  • His analyst position for the UFC 201 fight
  • What goes on behind the desk on FOX during commercial breaks
  • His thoughts on Georges St-Pierre returning to the UFC
  • His relationship with GSP and if he’d fight the former welterweight champion
    How he sees a fight between Michael Bisping and GSP playing out
  • His prediction for the Nate Diaz vs Conor McGregor rematch at UFC 202, and lots more!

Some Quotes:

What Stephen believes is next for him

“I’m on a seven-fight winning-streak, which is the most in the division. So I beat the best guys in the division. I beat the number two guy, the number one guy, finished Jake Ellenberger in the first round, Johny Hendricks in the first round. I think they have to give it to me. I think everybody is waiting to see how everything is going for the Tyron and Robbie Lawler fight coming up. I’m really anxious to see that as well. So I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on that. And yeah man, I’m trying to get that title shot in November in New York in Madison Square Garden. I think that’s the place to do it.”

“I’ve done what the fans and what the UFC expected of me. I went out there and finished some guys in the first round, went five rounds, unanimous decision against Rory MacDonald the number one contender. Give me that title shot, guys. I guarantee you it’ll be a war and an exciting fight.”

Prediction for Lawler/Woodley

“I think Robbie Lawler’s got it. He’s the type of guy that gets stronger as the rounds go on, and if Tyron doesn’t finish Lawler in the first round, you know, Tyron’s the type of guy who’s been known to get tired as the rounds go on. So I believe that Lawler’s gonna end up winning this fight.”

Why Stephen wants to fight Lawler specifically

“I would love to fight Lawer. Just because he’s been the champion longer and faced a lot of tough guys. For me to beat Lawler, when nobody else has at the top of the game, would be awesome.

How he matches up with Lawler and if stylistically MacDonald was the tougher matchup

“I believe that Robbie Lawler, he’s the toughest as they come. I mean, he’s got basic striking but he’s got tons of heart. He’s very tough, as you’ve seen in the past. His fights with Carlos Condit, Rory MacDonald have all been really, really tough, and he just came out there [in] the fourth and fifth round and came back stronger. He’s just that kind of guy. But he is a guy that will stand there and try and bang it out with you, so I think it would be a good matchup for me. Just the fact that he is the type of guy to stand there. I’ll be able to use my stand up, my movement, my angles to try and pick him apart. I don’t think he would look for the takedown. I don’t want to rule that out, because I know he is a good wrestler as well, he’s got a good ground game, but he’s not afraid to stand and bang it out.”

On what makes sense for GSP’s return

“I’m not really sure. Either stay at 170, or maybe even try – cause I know he’s a little bit shorter than me. I don’t even know if he could get to 155, but I think he would definitely make a huge splash there as well. But man, he’s one of the best welterweight’s that ever stepped in there. It would be cool to see him fight at welterweight again. I mean, he’s just a monster. But I think for him, where his level is now, a super fight would be where it’s at. Either going up in weight and maybe fight Bisping cause he’s a big guy.”

“If he would fight Bisping, I don’t think it would be for the title. I think it would just be a money fight. Just because, for him to be out for so long and go out there and straight go for a title would be unfair for a lot of the fighters in the division. So I don’t know if they would go that route, but in just a big money fight, I think he would beat Bisping.”

If Stephen is worried that GSP might get the title shot over him

“I don’t think so, man. I believe they want big things for him if he does come back. So I believe maybe they’re going to do like a big money fight.”

If Stephen would have any issues facing GSP

“I would [have issues facing GSP]. Just [because of] the fact that I’ve known him for a very long time and been a part of his camps for a long time. But I think he knows what my goal is, and that’s to be the champion. I’ve worked really, really hard this year and since I’ve stepped foot inside the octagon to get there. So we’ll see.”

If he believes GSP would avoid welterweight out of respect for Thompson

“Maybe. I mean, he’s that type of guy. He is a very nice guy and maybe, man. He can possibly do that.”

If Wondeboy’s management still plans to put the heat on the UFC if they don’t give him the title

“I believe so. If they don’t give it to me – I believe my management company, they’re really good with that and going out there, talking to the UFC, talking to Dana White and trying to get things figured out. So I know they have my back one-hundred precent on this and that’s what we’re going for.”

sub radio?

giphy.gif

Would love to see Gsp Vs Thompson.

Suddenly GSP's resistance to WW makes sense.

Good guy GSP is good buddies with the #1 & #2 contenders, or if the haters are right..... He's a pussy.

That's one hell of a thread, ladies and gentlemen. The video itself, topics, cliffs, paragraphs. Hespect, TS.

And massive hespect for Wonderboy as well. Always reasonable.

Thompson wrecks GSP.

Matt Brown took Thompson down at will. Thompson is one of my favourite in the division, and I can't stand GSP, but it would be 50-45 GSP.

It be funny if him and gsp weren't thaaaat close and he was just saying that just to avoid getting the 50-45 unanimous decision treatment hahah.

Loving your work, TS. Appreciate those quotes.

thx for the post TS

great interview

surprised he is picking Conor in the rematch

Think he handles the GSP questions perfectly.

Don't think his management company is good at going out there and handling stuff " like that " though. Because pretty much 99% of people wanted to see him face Robbie for the title shot over Woodley. That should of been the fight made. It's crazy it wasn't. Pretty sure it would have sold better than Robbie vs Woodley, which probably will do awful numbers. Nobody gives a shit about Woodley.

It be funny if him and gsp weren't thaaaat close and he was just saying that just to avoid getting the 50-45 unanimous decision treatment hahah.
They are though. GSP is a big part of him getting into MMA. And why his TDD is so great probably. Although others have helped that too.

Thompson wrecks GSP.
If it were just a kickboxing match, then I agree. But I don't see how Wonderboy would keep GSP off of him. He's certainly improved his TDD, so he's by no means easy to take down. But GSP is one of the best takedown artists we've seen in the sport. Not a good match for GSP.

All that is moot, anyway. GSP doesn't seem interested in the WW division. From his point of view, I think it's a "been there, done that" situation. And his buddies are at the top of the division. There really isn't any point or need to go back to 170.

Funny how he calls the undisputed WW GOAT (and overall GOAT) "one of the best welterweights that' ever stepped in there" lol

still the best #P4P thread starter on Sherdog

thanks TS

That's one hell of a thread, ladies and gentlemen. The video itself, topics, cliffs, paragraphs. Hespect, TS.

And massive hespect for Wonderboy as well. Always reasonable.
he's one of my favourite posters all of his vid submissions follow this formula , it greatly appreciated on my end that's for sure .

Back