Maia vs Wonderboy. [what if] ?

I favour Wonderboy over anyone at WW right now. Hopefully we can one day see Wonderboy vs MVP.

He would run away from Maia and would probably out-point him.

Would be a terrible fight.

How good would it be if Maia got a hold of him though!?

Wonderboy by decimation.

I like Maia, but as much as he's rounded out his game, Thompson has done the same, and he's smart enough to avoid Maia getting close. This match up is 100% about distance and range control, and there doesn't seem to be a single WW in the world who is better at that than Thompson. IF Maia can't close distance on him to get his clinch or TD, he's in a lot of trouble. I think he eats a combo coming in and gets put down for the (T)KO.

Wonderboy is great at getting off shots and covering distance

Stephen%2BThompson%2BKnockdowns%2BPatrick%2BCote%2BUFC%2B178.gif

FineParchedGoldenmantledgroundsquirrel.gif

BoilingFrenchIrishredandwhitesetter.gif

Maia will have a tough time trying to close the distance to even get a takedown. Wonderboy would piece Maia up.

Tough call. So many if's. Nothing in Maia's recent fights suggests that he wouldn't close the distance and nothing in Wonderboy's recents fights suggests that he wouldn't keep the distance. I don't know what gives first.

Yeah ... gotta go with Stephen at this point .... his footwork , distance control , speed and timing are incredibly hard to deal with. That said, if somehow Maia is able to catch and clinch with Stephen he would probably manage to sub him.

I have to say Wonderboy by counter punch KO but if Maia get him down then RNC Maia

If Maia could get the takedown he'd get the submission but I think Wonderboy takes it. His standup is unbelievable & he is much quicker & more athletic than Maia.

He would run away from Maia and would probably out-point him.

Would be a terrible fight.

How good would it be if Maia got a hold of him though!?
You prefer blankets over flashy dynamic strikers? He'd finish Maia if he can avoid the takedowns. It wouldn't be like the Rory fight at all

Lets make this easy: Maia vs most ANYONE-if he gets them down, he grapple fucks them, if its left standing he loses.

The end.

Maia doesn't have the speed to close the distance. Relies heavily on clinch.

Wonderboy needs the space to win, and Maia needs to cover it. Sounds like a fantastic chess match! I dig it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Would love to see it. Hard to say what would happen although I think Maia would get a hold of Wonderboy early.

If it was a five round fight then Maia would be in trouble IMO. Wonderboy's chances increase as the fight goes on.

Tough call. So many if's. Nothing in Maia's recent fights suggests that he wouldn't close the distance and nothing in Wonderboy's recents fights suggests that he wouldn't keep the distance. I don't know what gives first.

This exactly.

If I'm forced to guess I'd say Maia gets in, gets the TD and from there it's how much did Wonderboy prepare? Look at Brown, clearly trained specific to Maia and all that ended up doing was help him survive.

I can see Maia eating a shot to get in more than I can see Wonderboy keeping distance. But after 5 it's standing again so who knows, Maia could dominate 1 or 2 rounds and get clipped.

This is the definition of a pick 'em, but I don't see a close fight either way. Whoever implements the game plan wins big.

Back