Fighters making excuses is OK, isn't it?

Aforo88

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see all these post on various MMA forums about how us fans/keyboardwarriors just turned on this and that fighter because they're making excuses to why they lost a fight instead of taking the professional/likeable route by giving their opponent props. Hendricks and McGregors comes to mind on the top of my head as examples right away.
My personal belive is that one of the qualities that makes a great fighter is ego and it semes like many fans gets up in arms when fighters is being true and honest in interviews showing their ego to the public. I want honest interviews with fighters who really tells what they are thinking. Is Hendricks only thinking about what he did wrong, and what preps he failed to make, I want to hear that. If all Conor is thinking about how he was inefficient with his energy and training leading up to the fight, I want to hear that. These people are fighting to be the best in the world, no ego-less sane person would even have the need to get a gold belt around their waist and get crowned the best in the world in the hurting business. Most high level fighters thinks like Hendricks and McGregor I think, but they want to come off so called professionals so they give us generic humble answers most of the time.

Discuss

Nice wall of text.

Excuses are ok to a point. There is always a reason someone loses. But when someone is always coming up with excuses or bizarre excuses it's time to release the big book of excuses. They've made the big time.

Swap the term "excuse" for "explanation"... you'll get a different perspective on life.

It's all about semantics. Someone can see excuse as a reason and vice versa. I think it's ok to elaborate on why someone lost a fight and that does not mean it's an excuse as long as you admit the defeat and don't take anything from a person that beat you.

Aldo and RDA are getting a ton of undeserved hate from being truthful about their injuries.
Hendricks gets hated on because he fights way too conservatively in big fights.
Conor because of his fan base.

But yeah, fighters should be more honest but nowadays they're too busy being competitive - even in interviewing

This is how it goes with typical mma fighters.

In the cage "You know I did my best, hats off to the opponent. I have no excuses."

In the press conference "I have no excuses BUT (insert Excuse).

Sometime after the press conference "He just got lucky, I would have beaten him 9/10 times. No excuses."

And then we have the next level stuff.
"I ate my way up to 170, inefficient with my energy, I was fighting the bigger man."

"70% bro."

giphy.gif

Hah fucking hell I'm glad I just finished the episode.

They shouldn't interview the loser immediately after the fight, you get shit excuses.

Why make excuses? It doesn't change the outcome and comes off as an attempt to downplay the other guy's win. Shut the fuck up and win the next one.

Excuses are one thing , explanations and reasons are another.
Imo one should allways be honest with himselfe, cause if you arent you will never recognize your errors and therefore wont correct them , learn from it and evolve.

This is how it goes with typical mma fighters.

In the cage "You know I did my best, hats off to the opponent. I have no excuses."

In the press conference "I have no excuses BUT (insert Excuse).

Sometime after the press conference "He just got lucky, I would have beaten him 9/10 times. No excuses."

And then we have the next level stuff.
"I ate my way up to 170, inefficient with my energy, I was fighting the bigger man."

"70% bro."

Whats the difference between a reason and an excuse?

Maybe we could proposition some new legislation and make it so it was illegal. Then we would get less awful interviews after fights.
Yes. Let's make the losers apologize instead of making excuses. They dishonored their fans and families.

I get your point but I think fighters should really just say that the other guy was better that night and next time will be different. That's the classy thing to do.

Back