Which LHWs could have taken the shots Wanderlei did against a prime Mark Hunt?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
This mightve been the last fight of Wands peak. He never looked the same following this Hunt fight even tho many thought he won it. That fight took years off his life and chin. UFC Wand wouldve been out cold by any of the shots he took that fight. Wand didnt have the greatest chin but it was up there, his recovery tho was godlike and he had one of the best defensive guards at the time.

ChubbyObeseArcticwolf.gif

CoarseGrandLacewing.gif

ClumsyAcidicBison.gif

Which LHWs wouldve been able to take the shots Wand did that fight?

Rumble, DC, Bones, and maybe Gus.

Rumble, DC, Bones, and maybe Gus.
I'd go with Rumble and DC, you know, guys who actually fought at HW and have been hit by them. I don't get the Jones and Gus logic. Those dudes have never fought a HW at HW.

I'd go with Rumble and DC, you know, guys who actually fought at HW and have been hit by them. I don't get the Jones and Gus logic. Those dudes have never fought a HW at HW.
Jones has never been dropped in his entire career, DC got dropped by Gus. Gus has a solid chin too.

Wand never had a stellar chin but like TS mentioned he had excellent recovery. Not as good as Frankie but still near the top. It has obviously deteriorated but it was very good in his day.

If you go by his record prime Hunt is now. His UFC run is what gave him a winning record. Hopefully he will keep improving.

Gus got put out in a round by Humble who doesnt hit as hard as Hunt (Humble couldnt even knockout glass jawed Arlovski). Doubt he could take those shots.

DC fought @ HW but he didnt really get hit much, really only Barnett landed significant enough strikes on him and obviously Barnett isnt a heavy hitter. I think Roy mightve landed a couple shots actually but i dont remember that fight well enough. He got send flying by Humble, he showed great recovery tho which i think he would against Hunt too after he got dropped.

Bones has a great chin for sure, even tho he rarely gets hit clean outside uppercuts.

Who knows, every punch is different.

If you go by his record prime Hunt is now. His UFC run is what gave him a winning record. Hopefully he will keep improving.

His prime was very much in PRIDE the losses were b/c he just fought much better fighters/competition. Its near impossible a 40yo fighter is in his prime, itd have to be an extreme outlier or drug/TRT related like Handy (who started very late too). He had great TDD back then and was good on top but developed a very good counter boxing game in the UFC but his grappling isnt better really (all his sub losses were because of ppl who had top position on him, if Werdum got on top of Hunt hed finish him now, Bigfoot almost did, guys like Barnett and Fedor have infinitely better top games than all of the guys who got top position on Hunt in UFC like Stipe, Bigfoot, Struve, JDS) and his speed bursts/athleticism/cardio/kicks are much, much worse now. Big difference between prime Fedor, prime Wand, prime Barnett, prime CroCop, Overeem, Gegard to Kongo, Struve, JDS, Bigfoot, Roy, Mir, Fab.

GuL9S0s.gif

Hunt can barely throw leg kicks these days specially without gassing, let alone the shit he was doing back in his prime where he was known for his kicks too and not just his boxing.

It was the atomic butt drop.

No ones ever the same after getting hit with that.

not prime hunt...it was his 3 mma fight..prime hunt is now

Gus got put out in a round by Humble who doesnt hit as hard as Hunt (Humble couldnt even knockout glass jawed Arlovski). Doubt he could take those shots.

DC fought @ HW but he didnt really get hit much, really only Barnett landed significant enough strikes on him and obviously Barnett isnt a heavy hitter. I think Roy mightve landed a couple shots actually but i dont remember that fight well enough. He got send flying by Humble, he showed great recovery tho which i think he would against Hunt too after he got dropped.

Bones has a great chin for sure, even tho he rarely gets hit clean outside uppercuts.
Sorry but you can't compare Hunt's power to Rumble's.

Jones has never been dropped in his entire career, DC got dropped by Gus. Gus has a solid chin too.
But they have never been hit by a HW. That's like saying since Conor hasn't been dropped at FW, that a WW can't drop him. Neither man has gone up against the likes of a fighter with Hunt's KO power. You can lean towards Gus cause he faced a former HW in Rumble, but still.

Rampage and Hendo would've eaten whatever Hunt had to throw during that time period.

Sorry but you can't compare Hunt's power to Rumble's.

Hunt hits harder. Humble fought @ HW against Andrei who has a glass jaw at that weight and couldnt put him away in 3 rounds. In fact Humble and Bigfoot are the only fighters who have beaten Andrei yet failed to him out lol. Humble hits harder than any LHW but he doesnt have anywhere the power of the hardest hitting HWs.

Rampage and Hendo would've eaten whatever Hunt had to throw during that time period.

Theyre two i had in mind even tho Hendo got rocked alot he had GOAT like recovery, along with Shogun and maybe Nog before the layoff/injury recovery following the Shogun war. Hampage has only ever been rocked by Wand and Shogun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back