Better fighter at their peak: Kid Yamamoto or Urijah Faber?

At their peak...

• Total voters

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
One of the GOAT fantasy matchups that never happened. When Urijah was considered the best FW in the world and dominant fight there was a contingent that thought Kid was superior. Both were alltime great FWs in their primes, Urijah kills Kid in longevity and had a great BW career while Kid was never the same following the injuries post 2007 but had 2 b2b BW wins against Bibiano (whos one of the best BWs in the world now, Urijah also beat Bibiano 2/3 losses) and Yahya who was a top 3 BW in the world when Kid smashed him. Urijah certainly ranks higher historically for careers, but at their peaks its a discussion.

Some people have different opinions on when Faber was at his best, seen some say 06-07 and some say 2013. Ill let u guys decide what u think is his peak, he definitely beats Kid in longevity. But Kid was something special from 03-07.

Hes one of the very few fighters in MMA history who hold top 10 wins in at least 3 different weight classes.

14-1, 12 finishes, 9 knockouts. "Loss" was a doctor stoppage off a cut in 30 secs not really legit

Wins over

- Jeff Curran (top 5 FW)
- Tetsuo Katsuta (top 5 FW, had gotten a decision over Pequeno who was the best FW in the world but lost to him a hematch)
- savaged Genki Sudo in the 1st round, who was easily a top 10 LW at the time and wouldve been very close if not top 5 had he not gotten robbed in UFC by Bang Ludwig in one of the WOAT decisions (also KOd Uno and Royler to win LW GP)
- Rani Yahya (top 5-10 BW)

Also destroyed Jadamba in 2 minutes but it was his debut, his only knockout loss still and hes one of the better FWs outside the UFC these days. KOd Miyata in 4 seconds.

KRAZYBEE.jpg

faber.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to say. When I joined sherdog Kid Yamamoto was the shit. Up there with Fedor and Anderson etc on the p4p list.

One fought legit fighters in legit organizations

The other fought cans in Japan

hmm I wonder

Hard to say. When I joined sherdog Kid Yamamoto was the shit. Up there with Fedor and Anderson etc on the p4p list.

Damn, he was really that good back then?

Objectively speaking, it's Faber. His reign before the division was fully developed was incredible, obviously, but his real athletic peak (fuck he might still be in it) has made him into a machine. The Faber that ran through Menjivar, MacDonald, and Jorgenson would beat any incarnation of Kid Yamamoto, it would be silly to pretend otherwise.

However, it is also true that at Yamamoto's peak, he was better, relatively speaking, including the divisions they fought in, than Faber has ever been since the close of the WEC. Take that for what it's worth.

If they had fought prior to like, 2008, I think it would be a pick 'em, as even though Faber was so dominant, his skillset was still lacking (especially while standing). But after that, or especially after he LOST to Brown, I think he started really getting better and more well rounded. Would destroy Yamamoto after that, and obviously today.

Faber, but I've got that California bias.

Side note: remember a year or two ago when Kid/Faber was rumored for a UFC FN Japan card?

But I'm voting for Kid to help swing the poll and hold out for old schoolers

One fought legit fighters in legit organizations

The other fought cans in Japan

hmm I wonder

Urijah definitely fought better competition but Kid still destroyed everyone he fought. Including Curran, Katsuta, Sudo and Yahya who were top fighters when Kid beat them.

He was unanimous top 10 p4p but not really in the discussion for #1 p4p like Fedor and Anderson.

Tho Kid did have top 10 wins in 3 weight classes, definitely a p4p fighter at his peak.

Last edited:
I don't know if he was. But he was talked about like he was.

I really need to watch some of his fights. All I know about the guy is that, he knocked out a dude with shoes on. Haa

Hard to vote for Kid, looking at the level of opponents they beat

Kid Yammaoto vs Takanori Gomi was a match i had always wanted to witness. Yamamoto had great striking technique, i believe Faber was the better all around MMA fighter however.

Wow I was expecting the poll to be the opposite of what it is, since you guys all have a throbbing erection for Asian fighters. I voted for Faber.

man, even with the huge weight difference, Kid's flying knee would hit dat chin early and it'd be all over.

One has fought legit competition and won, the other is a can crusher. Both have fought for approximately the same amount of years. Wonder how this should turn out?

Back