What happened to the Explosive Jake Ellenberger

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seriously, this guy used to be an absolute nightmare on the feet, not because his striking was phenomenal...but because of the fact that he was so fast and explosive and could finish ANYONE in the first minute.

His 12 sec KO of Pele
His 1st minute finish of Jake Shields
Repeatedly dropping Carlos Condit

Shit, I even remember one fight where he knocked a dude out and as the guy was falling, connected about 1000 more punches before he hit the ground.

His speed was ridiculous and now he's a gun-shy shell of himself

I don't know what happened either. Maybe he never recovered from that Kampmann KO.

I had such big expectations for him but as it turns out, he was one of the fighters I was most wrong about.

Classic case of a guy getting kod and becoming gunshy.

Ronda's coach also helped ruin him.

Compare the muscle mass he has in 2011 to what he has in 2016.

Errr, Gadooosh.

s5gkrQS.gif

He stopped being explosive.

Duh

Compare the muscle mass he has in 2011 to what he has in 2016.

Explosiveness is based on fast twitch muscle fibers, muscle mass has nothing to do with it. Although more strength does help

Idk if it's fair to say he never recovered from the Kampmann fight. In his fight after that he fought a little more cautious against Jay Hieron and won the decision and then he fought smart and aggressive and knocked the fuck out of Nate Marquardt. I think he had a off night against Rory but I think he let that off night and Edmonds shitty teachings get into his head and it's manifested into the Jake Ellenberger we've been seeing since the Robbie Lawler fight.

It's sucks too because before his fights with Rory and Robbie, I knew he wouldn't ever be a long term champion but I thought he had a good style to potentially dethrone GSP.

Shit, I even remember one fight where he knocked a dude out and as the guy was falling, connected about 1000 more punches before he hit the ground.
Seriously doubt he landed anywhere near 1000 punches as the dude was falling. Do you realize how hard that is? 1000 punches? I'm not even sure it's physically possible.

You could aslo ask whatever happened to Rick Story? He was shaping up to be the next threat to GSP and then after his loss to late replacement Charlie Brenneman just wasn't the same.

He exploded.Those who played pokemon know.Voltorb i miss you...

He lost his chin.

One of the biggest disappointments ever. He had the style to do excellent things against everyone in the top 10.

Look at him now,gunshy,slow,tentative,static,no kicks,he barely wrestles anymore.....don't know if it was the loss to Rory or anything but it's a shame.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back