BJM reffing Jones vs Cormier and why it's a huge deal.

FlyingKimurabar

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So I just discovered BJM is reffing this fight. If you guys watched the most recent fight night 89 Thomson vs Rory, you saw Elias Theodorou (11-1) vs.
usa.gif
Sam Alvey.

In this fight Big John routinely warned Elias for simply pawing with an open palm. Basically telling him if he eye pokes Sam he's gonna take a point over it.

As we all know, pawing with the open hand is one of Jones favorite techniques. This allows him to extend his insane reach even further, discourage people from closing the distance in fear of eye pokes, and allows him to hand fight easier.

I guess there could be a case where Greg Jackson and team make a case to the NSAC that pawing with an open hand isn't a rule violation and block John from doing it, but if not one of Jones favorite weapons might be taken away.

Edit: Ok I did some research and it does look like Jones and team filed a formal complaint about BJM and the NSAC

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc-picks-referees-judges-for-ufc-200-jon-jones-files-formal-complaint/

I like jon, but I hope big John takes a point away for the first eye poke & dq's him for a second. He's good enough to win without it.

I like Big John and I don't like Jones but I don't think there should be anything wrong fighting with open hands. It makes it easier to parry and clinch and I feel more comfortable punching starting with open hands than closed hands.

But you have to watch the eyes.

If you poke you probably should get a point taken away in some cases with no warning.

Do you want Jones to get away with unpenalized eyepokes? Warnings before the first one happens sound great to me.

Wonder what they wrote in the complaint to the NSAC.

I like Big John and I don't like Jones but I don't think there should be anything wrong fighting with open hands. It makes it easier to parry and clinch and I feel more comfortable punching starting with open hands than closed hands.

But you have to watch the eyes.

If you poke you probably should get a point taken away in some cases with no warning.

What about the fact that it gives people an advantage due to their opponents being afraid of running into it? The vast majority of eye pokes happen when an opponent tries to close the distance, then it's ruled accidental.

I'd be fine with it if you insta lost a point for any eye pokes, but the reality is people get like 3+ warnings before a point is taken and by then it's already a massive advantage.

Wonder what they wrote in the complaint to the NSAC.

i don't know why but i image a scenario like "Mr Judge, i didn't kill that man. The bullet did!"

hkovBj1.gif

OSP shut that down like a G

Jones should be happy it's Big John. He never deducted a point in the Manhoef/Carvalho fight, and Carvalho was poking eyes and kicking dicks the whole time. We need yellow cards.

I like jon, but I hope big John takes a point away for the first eye poke & dq's him for a second. He's good enough to win without it.

I don't think it's very complicated at all, an eye poke is an eye poke, accidental or no. 1 poke, warning, 2 pokes, point deduction, anything beyond automatic dq on account of being a fucking idiot. I don't care what you do in training, if we're banning eye gouging, pinching, biting and nut shots, simple, you get penalized for eye pokes.

Jones should be happy it's Big John. He never deducted a point in the Manhoef/Carvalho fight, and Carvalho was poking eyes and kicking dicks the whole time. We need yellow cards.

Did Big John warn for open handed pawing in that fight? Maybe that fight is what made him rethink his stance.

i don't know why but i image a scenario like "Mr Judge, i didn't kill that man. The bullet did!"

Haha. Probably not too far off. Wonder if it had something to do with GOD like his past discretion's

How about that Ireland performance against the Azzurri the other night? :cool:

So I just discovered BJM is reffing this fight. If you guys watched the most recent fight night 89 Thomson vs Rory, you saw Elias Theodorou (11-1) vs.
usa.gif
Sam Alvey.

In this fight Big John routinely warned Elias for simply pawing with an open palm. Basically telling him if he eye pokes Sam he's gonna take a point over it.

As we all know, pawing with the open hand is one of Jones favorite techniques. This allows him to extend his insane reach even further, discourage people from closing the distance in fear of eye pokes, and allows him to hand fight easier.

I guess there could be a case where Greg Jackson and team make a case to the NSAC that pawing with an open hand isn't a rule violation and block John from doing it, but if not one of Jones favorite weapons might be taken away.

Edit: Ok I did some research and it does look like Jones and team filed a formal complaint about BJM and the NSAC

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc-picks-referees-judges-for-ufc-200-jon-jones-files-formal-complaint/

Him over, Herb any day homie!

Rooting for Jon, and fully expect him to win, but I would love to see BJM take away a point so Jon turns back into the killer he used to be and not this eye-poking, oblique kicking lackluster fighter he's become.

Back