fight geniuses

Venom

Lurker since '09
@Silver
Reaction score
In Math and Physics you have Newton, Alexander was a military genius, Da Vinci...etc

Who are some true combat geniuses in your educated opinions?

I think Jon Jones is one. His natural talent for measuring distance and wrestling/clinching is almost unparalleled in MMA. The Prodigy BJ Penn is up there too I think. He got his BJJ blackbelt in just a few years compared to the average decade most students need to earn one. The way he was able to go into pro MMA without much experience and fight much naturally larger men and not get beat up too badly relying mostly on talent.

GSP seems like the 24/7 grinder type of guy, with his wins being largely based on efficient training. I don't think he's genius level in fighting and natural talent. His unstoppable takedowns are amazing though.
I put Dominick Cruz on the same plane as GSP in that regard.

Rickson Gracie's unreal level of grappling makes him a genius in my eyes.
Fedor Emelianenko's ability to mix it up and compete at the highest level for years is outstanding as well. He definitely had a talent for it before his extensive training. Few heavyweights stood with him.

Jon Jones
BJ Penn
Rickson Gracie
Fedor Emelianenko

Dominick Cruz for sure is a genius.
GSP
Lesnar
Jones

well, i suppose Marco Ruas is a glossarist.

Would you equate talent with genius? Because there are plenty of guys over the years who skated by on raw talent and didn't have to train as hard as they probably could have.

Kalib Starnes.........the art of fighting without fighting!

70jgnr.jpg

Fedor and Randy Couture would probably be top of my list.

Sakuraba and Big Nog would probably be next tier

Kazushi Sakuraba
Masakatsu Funaki
Fedor Emilanenko
Georges St. Pierre
Frank Shamrock
Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria
Bas Rutten
Rickson Gracie
Josh Barnett
Demitrious Johnson
Dominick Cruz
Lyoto Machida
Carlos Condit

Bas Rutten.

He always knew when to go with the dang-gadah dang-gadah dang, or the bang bang boom!

Anderson at striking
Sakuraba at grappling
GSP fight IQ
Jon Jones for sheer creativity and adaptability

Back