thanks for the good answers

Platinum

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I don't know that much about him.
I am curious and not afraid to show it. I am fairly new in the MMA community, having started to watch MMA in 2011.

I know that he started off with BJJ and after becoming succesful in BJJ tournaments he switched to MMA. He managed to defeat one of the best welterweights Matt Hughes back then and also captured the lightweight belt. He did not succesfully beat GSP to become a two division champion and his record isn't that impressive at all. Plus he looked like shit against Edgar.

EDIT: Missed a big fact that he indeed did win the welterweight belt in his younger days so he was a two weight division champion. That makes everything more clear.

Now, what makes him such a good fighter? I often hear that he was a "natural talent"

Is it because he was willing to fight at any weight division and was succesful in some of them or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
The dude fought Lyoto Machida at heavyweight

Also, sometimes an image says a lot more than I possibly could.

bj penn.png

Last edited:
Held 2 belts,, beat the whos who in his prime by pure destruction..

You can change the begging of your text to : "BJ got a BJJ black belt in a record time and was the first non-brazillian to become BJJ world champion"

Then you go on

Upset Hughes when Hughes was the motherfucker

1 of 2 men to hold 2 different weight class titles in the UFC

Fought above the weight class he belonged in (LW) at WW, MW, and openweight, for better or worse.

First American to win the Mundials at the black belt level. After earning his BJJ black belt in 3 years.

Dude could jump out of a swimming pool. But seriously he was a champion in 2 weight classes and beat the number 1 p4p fighter who was a weight class above in Hughes. That's like Bisping going up and beating Jones or a WW going up and beating Anderson back in the day. BJ is so loved because people can see that he is one of the most gifted fighters ever. It's sort of a what if factor too.

Known for his natural talent in fighting,

Solid striking,Flexibility and top notch submission game

And for his legendary cardio.

And on the other side of things, his record isn't great and he has some of the most delusional fans out there. I loved seeing Edgar whoop dat ass live in Boston for the second time of three.

I'm more of a Hughes guy myself lol

I have never seen a fighter with his skill set.

Great striking
Great clinch
Great takedowns
Great takedown defense
Great ground game
Best rear naked choke in the business
Iron chin

He was the best LW in the world for many years and probably the best we have ever seen

Which was nothing more but stupidness, not only did he fail to make weight but he also lost.

He fought at featherweight and took a heavyweight Machida to hard fought decision. That is not a loss regardless what the scorecards say.

Kids these days...
White belts these days...

Just because i'm curious and i wasn't born in 1969 and haven't watched MMA for 15 years doesn't make me a kid, dipshit. I am a young adult in my 20s.

BJ was a top level fighter with heart of lion...all time great of mma

He won a black belt Judo tournament, and entered as a white belt.

Back