GSP should come back (why)?

MrMightyMouse

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
After so many years, why comeback? He has a great legacy and has nothing left to prove...

What is your opinion?

Discuss this shit :)

Going for the 185 while it's in the hands of the #13 fighter.

I imagine it's incredibly difficult to just walk away from a sport as personally demanding as MMA. He also never said he was definitely done, just taking a break.

Maybe there's a void in his life? It's tough to turn off that competitive spirit.

Stay away because you've done everything you can do in the sport. You've made a ton of money and your brain is still intact

He will live with that "what if" shit for the rest of his life if he doesnt come back. He wants that 185 belt while its vulnerable

For: Make more $$$

Against: He's accomplished more than anyone else...

Great career and legacy, clinical and repetitious fighting style, wealthy, healthy, aliens....

I hope he stays retired.

Because he loves it and wants to be known as the best. There is no other reason, he is the WW goat, left as champ and definitely doesn't need the money (but more is always better!).

I don't think it is a matter of having anything left to prove (I think that is an overstated point tbh), at least not to anyone else.

IMHO, there tends to be three possible reasons that pro athletes might return from retirement or stick around 'too long' in their sport: Money, competitive desire, and/or the camaraderie of being around their peers.

GSP doesn't need the money (but who doesn't want more? lol) and can retain ties to the sports/peers by staying at his gym, training other fighters, doing seminars, etc. So perhaps it is mostly that the competitive juices are still flowing?

His legacy is secure...but absolutely still has room to grow. It is not unreasonable to think that he could get the Bisping fight and become a two-division champ. If you believe what Firas and GSP have long maintained, that a cut to 155 would be easier than a jump to 185, he could otherwise just as easily walk into a LW title fight. If we want to *really* get crazy in discussing 'what if' scenarios, then GSP could do both and try to become the first THREE-division champ ;)

OK.... Where to start:
Legacy
Opportunity to take a winnable fight for the MW strap
Money
To compete
To not regret it when he's too old to make a comeback

.. He's a smart guy. And insanely competitive; a lot of people don't understand that because the way he translates in English. I honestly see another Couture story only better. Remember this post!!

GSP was always known for living a player lifestyle. He's probably broke now

Back