Biggest gap from champ to #1 contender?

SingerAuto

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Aside from FLW obv, MM is so far ahead of his division it isn't close. But after him, what division has the biggest gap? It seems to me that most (male) divisions right now have a champion who isn't that far ahead of the #1 contender, unlike when Anderson was crushing MW and Cain dominating HW before Werdum emerged.

At HW, you have Stipe and Overeem, with Cain, Werdum, JDS, Hunt and Browne all pretty close together.
205, we know Jones is P4P best, but DC might be second best LHW ever and would be dominant champ if no JJ. Then guys like Gus, Rumble, Glover and OSP are all elite.
MW is a mess, Bisping is the champ but Luke, teh Chris, Jacare and Yoel are all breathing down his neck.
WW is tight, Lawler has won two close fights, Woodley is coming, and Wonderboy is smokin fools.
LW is always a tank, RDA is the champ and looked great v Cerrone but I'm not sure he beats Khabib if he gets by Eddie.
At FW, Conor still has title but both Aldo and Edgar are capable of beating him.
BW has a dominant champ in Cruz, but I thought TJ won their fight.

I'd say BW but TJ is right there with Dom, so I guess it has to be WW or LHW right? Pretty incredible considering how awesome DC/Wonderboy are, but Jones is best P4P fighter on planet until he loses and Lawler has an amazing knack for winning close fights.

So, what weight class answers OP?

Probably MM and Joe B. Outside of that Probably Jones and Cormier

It's MW. But it's a reverse gap.

Bisping<<<<<<<<Jacare

Bwahahaha beat me to it.

There's a YUUUUUUGE gap from Jac, Weidman, and Romero >>>>>>>>> Bisping.

Heck I think Moose, Whittaker, Belfort, Hall, and Rockhold all outmatch Bisping too lol.

Lightweight is probably the next divisional gap. Thus far RDA is far superior. Alvarez is a pretty winnable fight for RDA. Alvarez is not the same fighter he once was after that concussion he had in training. He's been a lnp artist since his UFC debut, and shown that he doesn't check leg kicks much.

Flyweight as you said. Other than that, I think BW

Hunt and Browne in HW are not on that level. Most of the top 10 has a good chance against Stipe honestly. OSP is on the cusp but still lacks in LHW. Cormier and Gus are definitely right there. Rumble even with his win against Gus is still outside of those three (Jones, Cormier, Gus) and Gus wins that fight majority of the time. MW is definitely in a weird place, it's anybodies game there I feel. WW is incredibly close and you can't forget about Rory and the true current champ Condit. Wonderboy is probably up next to win the title though. LW might have the biggest gap currently. We will see how he handles Eddie "cuddles" Alvarez and Khabib in the future. FW is kind of in limbo right now, it's really hard to get a good read on it with McGregors absence. We will see how the Aldo/Edgar rematch goes. BW is on lockdown right now as well, comparable to LW. TJ is right there threatening though.

Lightweight is probably the next divisional gap. Thus far RDA is far superior. Alvarez is a pretty winnable fight for RDA. Alvarez is not the same fighter he once was after that concussion he had in training. He's been a lnp artist since his UFC debut, and shown that he doesn't check leg kicks much.

Alvarez isn't REALLY the #1 contender though. RDA isn't better than Khabib

I'd mention Cruz too. Don't think anyone beats him.

I'd say BW, but Dillashaw is champion level in his own right. Its a great time for the sport right now considering how competitive all the divisions are. If Jones snorts DC in a few weeks then its LHW. Aside from the red headed step child of a division that FLW is.

I'd mention Cruz too. Don't think anyone beats him.
You didn't think TJ/Cruz was close? I think with the right adjustments TJ can beat Cruz. Just my opinion though.

RDA. His progress since losing to Khabib, combined with Khabib's injuries and inactivity, makes RDA a clear favorite in that matchup. Most of the other champs would be 50/50, or even underdogs, in their own division.

Bones and it isn't even close.
Even with Jacare being light years better than bisping.

Back