Is cerrone really as great a striker as people say he is.

jwkelley

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am sure the guy is decent but I have been watching a lot of his fights recently and it always seems the BJJ that does it for him. Not saying he isnt good but I wouldnt be ranking him among the top strikers in the UFC.

We can solve this question with one match up

Barboza Vs Cerrone

I think you're using Wikipedia a tad to much. Cerrone usually hurts people standing and finishes on the ground. He's a good striker, not the best but certainly very good.

He does a few things well and knows when and how to use them. I think his attitude is a major part of his success.
Are any Americans that good at striking? What makes a great MMA striker?

There's definitely flaws in Cerrone's striking, especially his boxing.

When I see him hitting pads, almost none of his punches are fully extended and he hits from a short distance with an angled elbow. He should know to use his height and reach advantage better.

I think you're using Wikipedia a tad to much. Cerrone usually hurts people standing and finishes on the ground. He's a good striker, not the best but certainly very good.

Trust me wikipedia is not logging the endless punches his face has eaten. I would say good. Many people I think rank him a shtload higher though and I could never see why.

Barboza is a different beast now.

Agreed he's improved in leaps and bounds, but we cant ignore that the fight never happened. Barboza was still an excellent striker at the time and Cerrone managed to come out on top.

Yeh, lucky jab rocked Barboza, besides that Cerrone was getting absolutely eaten alive on the feet. That does answer the question, the one fight i watched before this thread.

All fights have an element of chance in them, but Cerrone intended to throw a jab and hit Barbosa in the face and that's exactly what happened, so it's not pure luck. I'm not really sure what your 2nd sentence means.

He does a few things well and knows when and how to use them. I think his attitude is a major part of his success.

Wonderboy much??

Yeh, lucky jab rocked Barboza, besides that Cerrone was getting absolutely eaten alive on the feet. That does answer the question, the one fight i watched before this thread.

What's a lucky jab?

Is it one that is thrown with the intention of hurting the opponent, and accomplishing that goal?

Or is it one that is thrown without the intention of even landing, but oops, lord and behold, somehow it mysteriously landed, hurting the opponent? Must have been divine intervention.

Yeh, lucky jab rocked Barboza, besides that Cerrone was getting absolutely eaten alive on the feet. That does answer the question
Came to respond with this. Although im not a fan of the phrase "lucky" in a fist fight, barboza was clearly having his way with cerrone.

Wonderboy, Nick and Nate Diaz, TJ Dillashaw, Mighty Mouse, Dominick Cruz, Anthony Pettis, Rumble Johnson, Jon Jones, Robbie Lawler, Carlos Condit, Stipe Miocic...

Last edited:
He is a strong striker for sure, he flows well and is very good at knowing when to throw certain things. He is not one of the best strikers, however he is good.

Wonderboy, Nick and Nate Diaz, TJ Dillashaw, Mighty Mouse, Dominick Cruz, Anthony Pettis, Rumble Johnson, Jon Jones, Robbie Lawler, Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, Stipe Miocic...

Rory is canadian AF dude, ever heard the guy talk??

He capitalized on an opportunity and got returned bountiful gains that would normally not be there off such an act. Lucky. Well deserved luck, but luck.

With Cerrone it's more about his toughness and willingness to fight anyone no matter how much time between fights. He always seems to choke against the best guys, but theres no doubt he's one of the best in the world at 29-7. I do agree his striking is overrated, but it is effective.

Back