Arlovski vs. Barnett: A fight nearly 15 Years in the Making

The Gi Guru

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett are set to face off and this is a fight nearly 15 years in the making. Arlovski first entered the UFC on November 17th in 2000 in just his fifth professional fight. Josh Barnett also debuted on the same card against Gan McGee in his tenth professional fight. Both went on to lose their next fight with Barnett getting knocked out by Pedro Rizzo and Arlovski losing by TKO to Ricco Rodriguez.

Barnett would leave the promotion two ears later, heading for Japan after capturing the Heavyweight title against Randy Couture. Arlovksi would stay a bit longer and have his own title run, but would leave in 2008 in search of more money. They would both end up in Affliction but never face off with each other. They once again moved together to Strikeforce after Affliction folded and despite six bouts in both promotions they would never face off.

Barnett would be picked up by the UFC after they bought Strikeforce in 2013 while it would take Arlovksi until June of 2014 to return after a 6-1 winning streak. Now, after nearly 15 years of circling each other in different promotion, across the world, these two will finally face off. My heart says Arlovski, but Barnett is still pretty resilient while we all know the issues Arlovski has with his chin. Who do you think wins this match between two stalwarts of the Heavyweight division?
View media item 24015

yeah finally this fight gets to happen.

rooting for a arlovski ko.

This is going the same way as the other long expected Barnett fight with Mir.

This fight should be amazing. On one hand I want to go with Arlovski, but on the other....I wonder if he can stay out of Barnett's clinch?

This fight should be amazing. On one hand I want to go with Arlovski, but on the other....I wonder if he can stay out of Barnett's clinch?
Barnett can be pretty suffocating on the ground. While Arlovski has a decent ground game, he may have a hard time getting out from bottom if Barnett can take him down.

I think Barnett will take it, he's more durable and his chin holds up. In addition, he's just a much more offensively versatile fighter here, he can match AA standing and he can beat him in the clinch and on the ground.

Hope Barnett can get a win after that fluke loss to Rothwell.

I think AA takes this. I don't think Barnett cracks him with a big hit, or is able to take it to the ground and dominate. This fight stays standing, and AA has the big advantage there, especially when he's not fighting a 1 shot knockout artist.

Hell yes! Two old school UFC legends. And it's not too late; these guys still got plenty of fight in em.

I call it for Arlovski. I see him KOing Barnett. But who knows.

Would be disappointed if Barnett KOed AA, cause I'd just feel like Arlovski would be showing his age and chin, rather than it reflecting on his skill level (Barnett is a good striker, but is no KO artist).

As usual, whatever happens, let's hope for a decent war instead of a quick, chinny old man KO or a long, gassy, lackluster affair!

Let's face it. Barnett is over the hill and Arlovski has stellar takedown defense. Zero chance Arlovski doesn't knock him out. Refer to this post after the fight.

I call it for Arlovski. I see him KOing Barnett. But who knows.

Would be disappointed if Barnett KOed AA, cause I'd just feel like Arlovski would be showing his age and chin, rather than it reflecting on his skill level (Barnett is a good striker, but is no KO artist).

As usual, whatever happens, let's hope for a decent war instead of a quick, chinny old man KO or a long, gassy, lackluster affair!
Arlovski has been hit or miss in his fights. He has three outcomes. First round KO, boring decision win, or knockout loss. Out of the three, I will take a 1st round KO over Barnett.

Let's face it. Barnett is over the hill and Arlovski has stellar takedown defense. Zero chance Arlovski doesn't knock him out. Refer to this post after the fight.
I am not saying that can't happen, but the dude has only been knocked out twice in 42 professional MMA fights. He has fought killers like Hunt, Cro COp and Kharitonov too.

Barnett will probably have the edge mentally since Arlovski just squandered his last shot at contention. Might get Josh one last shot at another championship. Barnett subs AA round 5.

Arlovski has been hit or miss in his fights. He has three outcomes. First round KO, boring decision win, or knockout loss. Out of the three, I will take a 1st round KO over Barnett.

I have to agree.

Would be nice to see them mix it up with some grappling in addition to the striking, and have a war, but it's unlikely with Arlovski.

I'll of course watch the fight, but I would have much rather seen it happen a decade ago. Same as the majority of other folks, I'm sure.

Are they setting up WWE loser leaves town matches now? I don't want to see either of them lose and both guys need a win.

Back