Underrated chins?

MagnusGOAT

Make America Great Britain again.
@Black
Reaction score
So I'm having a binge of Thiago Alves fights and I noticed he has an extremelly good ability to take clean shots and not even seem fazed. The shots he took against Mein would have put a lot of guys out and he took big bombs against Story too. Apart from that perfect elbow Condit hit him with I don't remember him being seriously wobbled or dropped by a clean strike...well apart from that time he dived head first in to Fitch's foot but.
2db5xsw.jpg

h3h14.gif

Carlos%2BCondit%2BDrops%2BThiago%2BAlves%2Bby%2BElbows%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B67.gif

fOMlNBx.gif

Who else has an underrated chin in your opinion?

It's all about who's got an underrated behind the ear

24l0cu9.jpg

But in all seriousness... I can't remember the last time I saw the guy get hurt badly by a head strike. (The leg kicks from Aldo obviously hurt him...) The last time I even remember him being dropped was against Barao and I feel like that was an early stoppage.

Gegard Mousasi, but I don't think it's that underrated
EDIT: also, Thales Leites

Andrei Arlovski. People here make it sound like he dies the instant he gets touched. In reality his striking defense is almost non-existent and he takes nuclear bombs right on the chin all the time. His reactions to getting hit are usually the problem. Freezing up or backing up with his chin straight up in the air. He withstood Rumble's onslaught after a broken jaw in the first and also got cracked with a massive counter punch from Browne and survived in both of those fights.

Another one is Frank Mir. His problem is really similar to Arlovski's, bad reaction to getting hit or just flat out non-existent defense. He withstood Overeem's onslaught, and took massive punishment from JDS and didn't go down for a while. Carwin is regarded as one of the heaviest hitters in HW history if not the hardest hitter and it took like 3 dozen strikes to put Mir completely out, AND it was a retardedly late stoppage. Outside of the Mark Hunt fight and Barnett fight (early stoppage tbh), everytime Mir has gone down it's been from a barrage of strikes.

Not saying Mir or AA have "good" chins, but they aren't glass like people suggest IMO

Ben Rothwell's chin is known as being good already, but I have it pegged as one of the best of all time. Took a murderous overhand right from JDS and didn't budge, non-chalantly stalked the fuck out of Overeem and ate all of his strikes like they were nothing, walked into an overhand right from Mark Hunt who then tried to walk away not realizing the fight was not over, and was trying to stand up in the midst of Cain hitting him in the face. Pretty ridiculous.

Gastelum took some hellish shots from Story, and somehow stayed up aside from the brief knockdown at the end of the second.

Alexander Gustaffson.

He got tko'd by Rumble but he was never out cold even after like 15 consecutive shots to the face from Rumble.

Went to war for 5 rounds with DC and Jones and was never rocked.

I'm gonna say Mendes... cause McGregor and Edgar landed really well placed shots right on his chin... shit

underrated.....Diego? Maybe his chin isn't underrated though. but we tend to hear about his wars than his chin.

Josh Barnett. Has only 3 KO/TKO losses in 42 fights. Spends lots of time standing and trading, even though the ground is his strength. Has fought a murderers row of heavyweight strikers with KO power.

Josh Barnett. Has only 3 KO/TKO losses in 42 fights. Spends lots of time standing and trading, even though the ground is his strength. Has fought a murderers row of heavyweight strikers with KO power.
Best av on sherdog!

Back