Why was Jon madsen never given a chance ?

usfbrah

Chronic gambler
@Brown
Reaction score
he came off tuf heavyweights and put a nice streak together. Then loses one to Russow and he's cut ? I don't get that since I always thought he was a good prospect. Did Dana just not like the guy or something ?

No clue, cant recall much of his fights, I always fell asleep during them.

I actually forgot about Madsen. This guy smashed Gilbert Yvel with gnp and had a very lackluster performance against Russow.

Maybe they didn't care for his style or personality.

Last I heard he was succeeded by his son on the ranch

Kind of a dopey looking white dude who isn't the most exciting. UFC tends to cut those guys (like Rosholt, etc.)

Kind of a dopey looking white dude who isn't the most exciting. UFC tends to cut those guys (like Rosholt, etc.)
I would think they would want as many heavyweights as possible

it was crazy that he got cut, especially when UFC was so thin with HW's at the time. He knocked out Gilbert Yvel pretty good. the only fight he actually lost there was a big eye poke too, he couldn't even see properly to be fair. could have been a NC.

You would think so, but they couldn't guarantee Kharitonov enough fights to make him sign, and they wouldn't pay Shawn Jordan or Mitrione. Cut Madsen and Rosholt. Made Roy Nelson win TUF to enter the UFC. Haven't done a TUF HW season in forever. UFC is content to fill cards with LW Brazilians from the favela who fight for peanuts, as long as people are paying to watch. Good HW's are harder to come by and would cost more. Athletic HW's tend to have other options, which is why so many in the UFC are actually washouts from other sports (including the champ).

They cut him back in 2011 back when they had a bit more promise in the division. Since being cut Madsen had a 3 year layoff from 2011-2014, came back and won a fight and a year later dropped a five round decision to Chase Gormely.

If the heavyweight division was as shallow as it is now back then, he probably would have been kept around, but now he wouldn't really bring much to the mix.

Edit I agree with you 100% that they need to bring more talent in to the heavyweight division though.

Boring fighter. Pretty good prospect but he doesn't stand n bang so he doesn't want to be a fucking fighter!

mysteries of the universe...

why was wes shivers never signed after tuf 10?

not that he was good or anything, but alot of that season didnt get a go after the tuf series ended.

Story is he was with death clutch camp. Once brock was finished by cain (same time his last loss)ufc had a reason to cut him. Death clutch folded shortly after.

mysteries of the universe...

why was wes shivers never signed after tuf 10?

not that he was good or anything, but alot of that season didnt get a go after the tuf series ended.
I hear that. We never really got to see what he could do. And why did jones retire ? Just because he lost

I hear that. We never really got to see what he could do. And why did jones retire ? Just because he lost
yeah i really liked big baby too. but having had a career in nfl first, i dont think proceeding with mma will be good for the brain. spesh at heavyweight where the boys are big and hit hard. mitrione had a good transition though, and was the one to knock out jones. but mitriones movement and speed is far better than what most of the other heavies had in that season.

yeah i really liked big baby too. but having had a career in nfl first, i dont think proceeding with mma will be good for the brain. spesh at heavyweight where the boys are big and hit hard. mitrione had a good transition though, and was the one to knock out jones. but mitriones movement and speed is far better than what most of the other heavies had in that season.
I wonder what happend to that dude demico, he looked like he had promise

He's had plenty of opportunities. Granted, his role in Hateful Eight left much to be desired.

Same reason Rosholt wasn't given a chance. Not marketable.

Odd, bc Madsen was a bit more exciting.

Back