Masvidal earns more than Barao

Koloth

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So on sunday two fighters fought in the UFC:

One was before that fight 29-10 in his MMA career, with nine fights in the UFC of which he lost three and only finished two. He was also never champion in any noteable organisation and is not generally thought to be championship material.

The other was 33-3 before that fight, with ten fights in the UFC of which he lost two, but finished five. He was the champion in his weight class with multiple title defenses and was claimed to be one of the best, if not the p4p best, fighters in the world.

Guess who got paid more by the UFC - the champion-level finisher or the decidedly-not-champion-level decision-ator?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...ns-36100K-Rick-Story-3676K-Top-Payroll-105709

So apparently Jorge Masvidal gets 57'000$ for losing, while Renan Barao gets 50'000 $.
For sure fire that manager, Renan...

PS: Dont even try to argue that Masvidal brings in more eyes or any dumb shit like that. I know Renan isnt very marketable, but neither is Masvidal, who has never said anything interesting in his life.

Brings more lbs to the octagon, not sure if viewers, Barao lacks personnality big time tho, and loosing twice to TJ didnt help his case.

Masvidal has a cult following b/c he beat up Kimbo's buddy twice in street fights.

I tuned in for Masvidal, he is crafty and always brings a fight. He is one of the more exciting guys to watch. Barao doesn't have very many fans, I've never heard of someone excited because Barao is fighting

masvidal is a better fighter and has more fans.

PS: Dont even try to argue that Masvidal brings in more eyes or any dumb shit like that. I know Renan isnt very marketable, but neither is Masvidal, who has never said anything interesting in his life.

wait so we cant bring up the exact reason why he is paid more?

ever actualy listen to his interviews? probably not. the guy has decent interviews and i look forward to the next time mmajunkie radio has him on

All the Strikeforce guys came over on big money..

So on sunday two fighters fought in the UFC:

One was before that fight 29-10 in his MMA career, with nine fights in the UFC of which he lost three and only finished two. He was also never champion in any noteable organisation and is not generally thought to be championship material.

The other was 33-3 before that fight, with ten fights in the UFC of which he lost two, but finished five. He was the champion in his weight class with multiple title defenses and was claimed to be one of the best, if not the p4p best, fighters in the world.

Guess who got paid more by the UFC - the champion-level finisher or the decidedly-not-champion-level decision-ator?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...ns-36100K-Rick-Story-3676K-Top-Payroll-105709

So apparently Jorge Masvidal gets 57'000$ for losing, while Renan Barao gets 50'000 $.
For sure fire that manager, Renan...

he made 74k base for his 1st loss to TJ. So he obviously either got a new contract after his 2nd loss or had a clause that allowed deescalation of value based upon losses.

That 7000 difference is the ability to speak English.

Masvidal fights very often and likely got a nice contract because of it. Barao made more as a champion, and it likely had to do with with his contract. I believe Bendo also made more as champion. Pay rates probably change. Is it right? I don't like it but they should negotiate better. They probably don't see themselves losing so they take whatever the UFC offers them for that part of the deal.

My goodness, UFC should just hand Barão a briefcase with $1M for accomplishments, so he could have something after he retires...
50k is pathetic. Ridiculous.
Terrible management.

Depends on how you look it. Baraos money is worth 1/3 of the dolar and he lives in brazil. So in reality he is getting paid 3x plus...

*end of sarcasm

agree with you ts. seems strange.

Last edited:
Pretty pathetic
Stephens gets as much as he does

A former champ is akways more of a draw then both those guys

All the Strikeforce guys came over on big money..

That's what i thought too, but Masvidal's reported payout in his first UFC fight was 30/30. He has put together a couple of good streaks in the UFC since, though.

Barao is definitely underpaid, wasnt too long ago he was being called #1 p4p by Dana.

Why argue over pennies.. They should both be making more, period. War Barao. War Gamebred.

Back