Could Mike Tyson have been a UFC Heavyweight Champion ?

Rikston

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Considering he's on the UFC 2 game - it made me think, If he actually pursued a career in MMA instead of boxing, could Mike Tyson have been a Heavyweight UFC champion ?

Taking into account his explosive-aggressive style, one punch knockout power and super athletic genetics from such a young age, could he have hung with the likes of Velasquez, Overeem, Werdum, Hunt, Rampage ect during his prime ?

6359409841681180001410529725_peaceful-plane.gif

Tyson's build (short and compact) is far more of a handicap in MMA than it is in boxing, so he wouldn't be as "natural" at it.

But, considering that heavyweight MMA is nearly devoid of athletes of his caliber he could still become champ. But not at HW, he'd be a LHW, tyson in his prime was between 215 and 220lbs, that's the size of LHW's in MMA. Nobody walks around at 220 or less and fights at hw.

Really hard to see 5'10" mike dealing with Jones though.

If Tyson had some basic wrestling and a good take down D he would be a monster.

If he made the transition while he was young it would have been interesting.

Sure, why not. The guy was an amazing fighter. If he trained takedown defense, wrestling, MT, jui-jitsu, then he could have had a good chance. But just boxing alone, no way ...

yes, especially since MMA fighters make no money, he'd stay focused

Yes i think so. With his speed power and athleticism. He would have destroyed a lot of people just like im boxing imo

If he had went to MMA instead of boxing, back then he'd easily be champion.

But in today's era, he'd have to learn a lot more. Plus he's too small for HW. He'd probably be LHW or MW.

If Tyson had some basic wrestling and a good take down D he would be a monster.

If he made the transition while he was young it would have been interesting.

My thoughts exactly - Explosively he seems more strong than the likes of say, Cormier who's of similar height and his striking was way better in my opinion.

i can see him gettin headkicked by cro cop

See hector lombard for your answer

If he had went to MMA instead of boxing, back then he'd easily be champion.

But in today's era, he'd have to learn a lot more. Plus he's too small for HW. He'd probably be LHW or MW.

I get that, in reality it would have been in the early 90's when he first began fighting, back when there we're no weight classes - Probably against the likes of a young Vitor, Don Frye, Ken Shamrock, most who showed very little ground game with a "stand and bang approach" which would be perfect for Tyson's style.

All I know is that Evander Holyfield easily out muscled and controlled Tyson from the clinch in a boxing match. Also, Tyson does not strike me as the type that would have been able to deal with being elbowed on the ground. But who knows, maybe if he had focused on grappling he could have been a Palhares type which is quite terrifying to imagine.

I get that, in reality it would have been in the early 90's when he first began fighting, back when there we're no weight classes - Probably against the likes of a young Vitor, Don Frye, Ken Shamrock, most who showed very little ground game with a "stand and bang approach" which would be perfect for Tyson's style.

Serious question... Who wins in an MMA fight today between Ken Shamrock and Mike Tyson?

I like the open-mindedness of some of these answers here, clearly shows those who have an open-mind to the science/art/variables of fighting and those who are clearly here just to troll and post dumb MEMES :/

Serious question... Who wins in an MMA fight today between Ken Shamrock and Mike Tyson?

Good question, considering none of them are in their prime and would have to rely on skill and technique rather than strength - I'd say Shamrock, just because he has more tools in his arsonal.

That being said, Tyson could just out-brawl him and punch him unconscious.

Back