Eye pokes and fight outcomes

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score

You got it, Joe. Not my work at all, but I figured I'd share this:

http://www.mmalatestnews.com/eye-pokes-in-mma-poke-to-win/

Sample Size 100 fights that saw eye pokes since UFC 110

• 53% Ended with the fighter guilty of committing an eye poke go on to win the fight
  • 35% Saw a fighter overcoming an eye poke to win
  • 12% Ended in draws or situations where both fighters had their eyes poked
fights where the eye poke took place in the first round, the poker went on to win 74% of the fights

TL;DR: It would seem eye pokes influence the outcome of a fight.

qnagoZQ.gif

good thread. begs the question do pokes and gouges need heavier sanctions within the fight

Has it been taken into consideration if the fighter most likely to receive/complain about an eye poke is the fighter considered most likely to lose in the first place?

We can kick a dead horse but without a solution I see a lot of kicking and not much progress.

My first step to a solution would be to redesign the gloves, and the next step would be post fight fines for egregious infractions. Kinda like the NFL fined and suspended AkibTalib (spell) from the Broncos.

We can kick a dead horse but without a solution I see a lot of kicking and not much progress.

My first step to a solution would be to redesign the gloves, and the next step would be post fight fines for egregious infractions. Kinda like the NFL fined and suspended AkibTalib (spell) from the Broncos.

I say 1 point deducted on every eye poke.

You'll see fighters stop doing it.

I continue to be amazed that we have not yet seen catastrophic Eye damage in the UFC and/or an eyeball literally popped out during the fight.

Only reason Browne won his last fight, imo.

They need to target repeat offenders. Fighters should know well before their fights that they are on notice, and that they will be monitored differently.

for example, if a repeat offender is fighting, they should know in advance that they will not be given a warning for an eye poke. They'll get an automatic point deduction--every time.

If a professional athlete doesn't have enough body control to not consistently poke other people in the eyes, then maybe they shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Anyone who really wants to avoid poking other fighters can totally pull it off if they try. It's easy.

Something definitely has to be done about this.

Do we penalise fighters severely for a poke? This may force the game to change.
Maybe it will encourage fighters to always keep a closed fist while training to build a good habits. It could reduce the amount of pokes drastically, but it could be a hindrance to other aspects of the game.

Or maybe a change in the design of the standard MMA gloves.

Just start deducting points. Its bizzare how someone can poke the other fighter repeatedly and still not get punished (last Browne fight come to mind). I understand reluctancy with today's point distribution, but it jsut has to be done.

Most of you never been in a street fight and don't realize how critical your eyes become in a heated exchange. Especially, when there's punches/kicks flying at you from all angles and how much you need your peripheral vision to not only dodge those strikes but to hit them back on target.

But of course, jon jones knows this.

They should continue to give out warnings like they do in every other sport when the rules are broken inadvertently and a competitive advantage is gained.

Soccer? oh, you didn't mean to be offside, ok, just don't do it 2-3 more times.
Rugby? accidental knock ons arent penalised.

Oh wait. That doesn't happen. Those sports realise the athletes are fucking professionals, know the rules beforehand and if they break them even accidentally they are penalised for them.

No one likes to see eyepokes, but if the refs arent deducting points for every infraction, they're encouraging them. The fighters know the game inside and out and there is so much at stake when these guys fight maybe 2-3 times a year. If the fighters know you get 1-2 free eyepokes without repercussions and that could mean the difference between subsisting in life or retiring comfortably, a lot of guys are going to go into exchanges fingers out.

I continue to be amazed that we have not yet seen catastrophic Eye damage in the UFC and/or an eyeball literally popped out during the fight.
Unfortunately that is what it is going to take for changes to be put in place.

Back