Anyone thinks Brian Stann gives too much technical analysis?

MMAAAM

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brian-Stann-UFC-130-pre-press.jpg

Always talking about who the fighter trained with before the fight or what specific changes he made in camp, what new diet the fighter is on, what kind of training...

Rogan can make the fight entertaining without talking all the time and more importantly without sounding like he talked with the figher's coaches, sparring partners, family, friends, ex-girlfriend, old foes...

I like it. Stann is the man and I take him over Rogan at any day. Will never change this assessment.

Why wouldn't you want to know that information? It's important info..

Heaven forbid he would actually take the time to do some background research on a fighter before having to comment on his fight. Right now, Stann is the closest thing to a true professional commentator the UFC has. I'd rather have Stann on the mic than the same two usual numbnuts rambling about cornnuts and rockstars or shaking their magic 8-ball to predict what a fighter is attempting.

it's time for Frank Mir to retire and return behind the mic.

He obviously does his homework and watches video of fighter's the average fan might not be familiar with - aside from the HARDCORE fans, of course - so you get some idea of what 'who is he?' is good and not so good at.

He'd be a hero if he strangled Jon Anik everytime he keeps calling him the American hero. Stann must cringe everytime he hears that.

Ha ha. Your post makes me laugh because Stann sure does have a lot of insider information but I like that! I don't have a problem with knowing what is going on with a fighter while they fight.

Stann is about as perfect a commentator as you can get. I don't see how people don't like him.

He shows literally NO excitement during any moment of the fight. I feel like he is way too disingenuous and is holding back all of his emotions and it makes it a lifeless experience for the viewer. Do I need the commentator screaming to let me know that something great happened, no of course not, but I would like the guy covering the event to jump out of his seat with enthusiasm and joy when a submission or ko happens. Thats what I love about Rogan, hes informed as hell and is a real fan just like us.

Yeah, Rogan is so much better with his OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HE IS HURT MIKE!!!! OHHHHH MIKE EVERY CHOKE IS SO TIGHT I HAVE TO SCREAM....MIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAHHH OOOOOOOOONNNNNNNIT!!!

Stann is great, I hope he takes over all cards.

Yeah, Rogan is so much better with his OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HE IS HURT MIKE!!!! OHHHHH MIKE EVERY CHOKE IS SO TIGHT I HAVE TO SCREAM....MIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAHHH ONNIT!!!

Stann is great, I hope he takes over all cards.

Rogan alway's get me hyped when I'm drunk.

and more importantly without sounding like he talked with the figher's coaches, sparring partners, family, friends, ex-girlfriend, old foes...

why would you want that?

He shows literally NO excitement during any moment of the fight. I feel like he is way too disingenuous and is holding back all of his emotions and it makes it a lifeless experience for the viewer. Do I need the commentator screaming to let me know that something great happened, no of course not, but I would like the guy covering the event to jump out of his seat with enthusiasm and joy when a submission or ko happens. Thats what I love about Rogan, hes informed as hell and is a real fan just like us.
Stann isn't the colour commentator. It's not his job to be hyped.

Rogan is informed but because he is such a mark for the sport he is often unprofessional and over the top.

That's just his style and personality. I don't think it's true to say he doesn't hold back on emotion or even raise his voice when there's something happening during the fight; be it a fighter rocked or close to being submitted, etc. Granted, he does sound a bit monotonous in parts.

The only thing that I cringe at when Anik and Stann are commentating is their awful attempt at banter. But I think they're more well informed commentators than Rogan and Goldberg. Though they've being the voices of fights for so long, when someone new comes along, people do a comparison.

I don't mind Rogan and Goldberg, but there's being many a time when Rogan sounds like he's jumping out of his chair when someone throws a punch and it misses. There has being times when Rogan has showed bias towards certain fighters as well and Goldberg sounds like he's reading off a script. They're definitely the more animated and are the A-Team of the commentators.

But Rogan certainly doesn't do as much background checking on Fight Pass prelimners than Stann does.

The biggest problem with Stann and especially Florian and Anik is that, like others have said, they lack the pure passion and enthusiasm for the finish or the imminence of a finish.

Actual audio of the same finish commentated by Florian/Anik/Stann and Rogan: (I lied about it being actual)
Rogan: OOOOOOH! HE'S HURT! HE'S IN BIIIIIIIG TROUBLE MIKE! AND... OOOOH! IT'S OVER! OOOOOH!
Anik/Florian/Stann: It looks like so and so has been clipped by a big strike and he's... He looks to be in some trouble here. And he's... Yes. It's over. What an impressive victory by so and so, wow.

I hate technical analysis, would prefer Corn Nuts ads.........................................

Back