What is your opinion of mike van arsdale ufc run?

usfbrah

Chronic gambler
@Brown
Reaction score
i remember back in the day people thought he was coming for the belt. Dude was a rising star in the early days
mike-van-arsdale-03.jpg

Didn't live up to the hype.

Great wrestler, not so much as an MMA fighter.

Yeah maybe Tank Abbott can come back and beat Stipe too

Vaguely remember him. Didn't Mir break his arm or something?

Good fighter who pulled some tough as hell matchups.

He beat John Marsh who I met at a grappling class/seminar, I have never in my life seen a human with a bigger neck than Marsh, dude was 5'8 230ish with a neck and back that looked literally too big for an actual human, like something you would expect to see in a comic book.

As for Van Arsdale's losses..
No shame in losing to Randy and prime Babalu in the UFC and WAnderlei in one of his first few mma fights... The guy fought elite fighters.

Van Arsdale has a great reputation as a coach.

Last edited:
Started kind of late(different time, mma wasn't big or anything in 98) and after his first loss to Wanderlei took a 5 year hiatus when he was already 33 to begin with. He could have been great had he been able to start in his 20's, and if there was enough money for him to commit to the sport. He had some really good wrestling.

Known better as a coach then a fighter.

Good fighter who pulled some tough as hell matchups.

He beat John Marsh who I met at a grappling class/seminar, I have never in my life seen a human with a bigger neck than Marsh, dude was 5'8 230ish with a neck and back that looked literally too big for an actual human, like something you would expect to see in a comic book.

As for Van Arsdale's losses..
No shame in losing to Randy and prime Babalu in the UFC and WAnderlei in one of his first few mma fights... The guy fought elite fighters.

Van Arsdale has a great reputation as a coach.
People don't give prime Babalu enough credit. I wish he would of knocked out chuck

He was good but didn't love mma or take it super serious. At least that is what I can see by looking at his career/record and having watched most of his fights including the one with Wanderlei.

He fought 5x starting his career in 1998 then didn't fight again till 2002 for some reason. Then decided to fight ONLY ONE time a year for the next few years.

I think he could of honestly done better then his record showed before he went on his losing streak.

Never saw the fight - but I read on these forums (I know great source) about the Couture fight where it was a seemingly close fight going into the third in which apparently Dana White actually walks over to Van Arsdale's corner and says something to them. Couture then proceeds to slap an anaconda choke on him within a minute of the 3rd round. Some people threw the 'fix' word around but it was largely more speculation (or just flat out lying) than anything.

had great potential, but I don't think his heart was into fighting, thus didn't live up to his natural athletic talents in mma

Oh man... His name is way more memorable than his face.

I can't remember even though I sort of can.

Then again is 0530 again.

People don't give prime Babalu enough credit. I wish he would of knocked out chuck
This is true. But he way to victory would have been to just have Chuck respect his striking and then get a takedown. We all know chuck had good TDD but Babalu was a terror on the ground and was wrapping dudes up into pretzels at that time. I think if he got Chuck down he had a chance to sub him. One of the very few.

Back