Did barao do well last night?

Wizzlebiz

Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest
@Silver
Reaction score
With him moving up in weight and fighting probably the most powerful puncher in his new division did he do well?

I know he lost the fight and deserved to lose it but 1st round barao looked great. His movement was good, striking was crisp and precise. Second round he took bombs and handled them quite well.

3rd rnd he seemed to gain some momentum back.

So what do you say? Did he do well with all things considered?

he did. great step up and challenge. he took some bombs and didnt quit. they both looked spectacular. much respect

He looked terrible.

A little harsh, but to be honest, you would expect a former champion defeat a journeyman/gatekeeper like Stephens.

Was still a very good fight, and he has lots of fun fights available to him at 135 or 145, which ever route he chooses next. He just needs to make sure that he wins the next one, or he ends up in Anthony Pettis territory.

he looked fine, but he looked like a bantamweight out there. He couldn't take stephens down, he didn't have the power to stop stephens in his tracks, overall he looked much smaller and much weaker. He looked more patient than he has in the past, which is good.

With him moving up in weight and fighting probably the most powerful puncher in his new division did he do well?

I know he lost the fight and deserved to lose it but 1st round barao looked great. His movement was good, striking was crisp and precise. Second round he took bombs and handled them quite well.

3rd rnd he seemed to gain some momentum back.

So what do you say? Did he do well with all things considered?
I think he did look good. He just needed to stop forcing those take down attempts. After the first few were stuffed, he just needed to stop going for them, because I think even with less of a weight cut those attempts tired him out. Made him more of a stationary target in the second round. He looked really good and precise in the first. He just needed to do that for the entire fight, and only try the take down when it absolutely presented itself on a silver platter.

nope he was damn scared of getting ktfo after he felt stephens power and fought in a boring way

I thought he looked alright for his 1st fight in the new weight class. He won the 1st round. He ate some massive shots but was never knocked down. I'd say he can build off that performance.

He looked ok...at best. He kinda gasses a little early. His combination weren't too crips. He landed some shots but none that really bothered Lil Heathen. Definitely didn't look like a contender at 145. Imo he's good at BW. He's also pretty short. I was actually surprised he was just 5'6. He definitely belongs at BW. He just seems to be very hitable and with guys at 145 hitting harder, I see someone like Aldo, Mcgregor, Mendes, killing him. Hell, Cody might kill him at BW since he has good combination which is how TJ destroyed him ( aside from lots of movement ).

He was facing a guy who knocked RDA's head into the tenth row. All things considered he did ok

I feel like he did well and the move to 145 should breathe new life into his career following the Dillashaw performances. I thought he fucked up in shooting in on Stephens and not getting the takedowns. Other than that his movement looked better, he looked a little more well rounded in the stand up than in previous fights and he took some of Stephens' best shots like a champ and kept coming back, especially that uppercut.

I had him edging it slightly 29-28 but he doesn't look the same since the TJ fights.

I wish they didn't give him such a big 145er for his first fight up. The size disadvantage was huge.

I kind of feel bad for the dude. He can't cut to 135 without passing out, and it's clear to me that 145 is going to be too much for him. Like what do you do?

he looked absolutely great for about the first 6 minutes. then stephens finally landed a solid shot and i dont think he truly recovered from it at all for the rest of the fight, due in large part to stephens aggression.

all things considered, id stil rather he be a fw than a bw and the quality of his striking in rnd 1 gives me some additional confidence in aldos return, despite him losing the fight.

I thought he was going to get finished, so he did better in that regard but he only looked good for a few minutes then looked like he gassed too much to continue implementing his striking in an efficient way.

Spamming crappy takedowns was a pretty terrible idea.

I haven't watched the fight yet but based on his last couple of performances I did not expect him to beat Stephens anyway.

He had his moments in the fight.

When he was putting his combos together, he was tagging Stephens pretty nicely.

I was also pretty surprised his chin held up so well, as Jeremy hit him flush with haymakers a couple of times.

He looked alright, but we're talking about the guy who was a top p4p fighter just 2 years ago. It was a terrible performance in comparison to pre-Dillashaw Barao.

I thought he looked alright. IMO he looked to be the more skilled fighter out of the two, but the Little Heathen had the edge on him in toughness and power. Baro also seems to lose a lot of his technique once he starts getting punched in the face. Lets not forget that Jeremy spent the frst 7 years of his career at lightweight as well.

Back