Was anyone really surprised about Garbrandt/Almeida?

Thesnake101

Think about it, it worth it.
@Gold
Reaction score
I ask this because before the fight, I saw some threads about how Almeida was going to make quick work of Cody. Now, don't get me wrong, Thomas is deadly with his offense but his defense isn't that good, we saw that in his fight against Pickett, in which he got dropped multiple times (iirc, my memory might be playing me some tricks) because of his sub-par boxing defense, so I wasn't really surprised when Cody finished him.

When the fight was announced, I knew it wasn't going to make it past the first because not only do they have killer power, their defense isn't all that great. I mean, Garbrandt was getting tagged by that mexican dude -- think Briones was his name -- quite a bit.

Both guys have a high ceiling, but unless they improve defensively, they won't be winning the title any time soon. Cody's defense has improved though, so I'm curious to see how he would do against a top 5 dude.

TL;DR: Both dudes have shitty defense but Almeida's is worse than Cody's, therefore it shouldn't have been a surprise that he lost.

Proof that i'm not using hindsight:

250345-8595486.png

Yes as I've never seen or heard of either of them before last night

Not really, I had a feeling going in that his chin wasn't going to hold up.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie I thought Almeida would absolutely smoke the guy. Garbrant's footwork and movement was much sharper than I expected, Almeida hardly even landed at all. Didn't see that coming in the slightest.

Not surprised by the result, surprised by how it went down. Expected the fight to be competitive while it lasted. Twas not. Props to Garbrandt great performance.

I thought Almeida had the more complete skillset, and that maybe his kicks might give Cody some issues.

But he never even got the chance to get his game going. Garbrandt lit him the f up.

I dont think many will be suprised. This was considered a pickem fight by many.

Basically it was really important for both fighter to be the first to get there strikes off.

Cody did a good job of this.

Not the least bit surprised. I had Almeida in essentially a coin flip.

Same with Stephens/Barao. I had Barao by decision but wouldn't have been surprised if Stephens got the nod or even flatlined him

Not really, I had a feeling going in that his chin wasn't going to hold up.

I'm sure you did. You and the majority here were so far up Almeida's ass haha. Of course most of you fickle fans won't admit it.

I'm sure you did. You and the majority here were so far up Almeida's ass haha. Of course most of you fickle fans won't admit it.

It is funny that this place was extremely anti-Cody beforehand and now it's almost the polar opposite. Although it's probably not the same exact people, but still.

When it's a coin flip fight, I think it is fairly surprising when one of the fighter gets dominated. But revisionist history reminds me of Pickett lighting up Almeida before Almeida got the KO.

38669-1042225.png

I'm not surprised mofos

Rest of the picks tho.... Fail

Almeida choked, it's as simple as that. If the kid went after it right away and made Cody back peddle, it'd be done.

I underrated Codys boxing for sure but I knew Almeidas chin wouldn't hold up, I just didn't know if Codys would either.

I was surprised. I honestly thought Almeida was gonna take it to him. It just didn't happen that way :(

Back