Hendo's gas tank!?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lately I've been on a UFC old events marathon, in which I've watched a load of Henderson fights.

One thing that never seemed apparent to me at the time of watching the first time around was his lack of a gas tank. Examples of this are listed below:

- Rampage Jackson fight, completely gassed after round 2 and allowed Rampage back into the fight.
- Anderson Silva fight, wasn't so apparent but when he gave up the top position to Silva he wilted badly!
- Rich Franklin fight, he literally gassed mid-way through the 1st round. Not sure how that he won that fight.
- Jake Shields (in Strikeforce), just watch that fight - some of the worst gassing I've ever seen.
- Shogun Rua I, I don't even really want to count this because it was such a war - but round 5 he was a starfish.

Has this always been an issue? I've watched a lot of Hendo in PRIDE and I don't remember it being obvious.

Please bare in mind that very few people ever note that his UFC debut was at 37, he was already getting on.

Thoughts, opinions?

I can't speak for all the other fights, but I thought he was having back spasms in the shields fight? That could've explained why he couldn't catch his breathe.

Hendo has stolen many fights in the third round (Ninja, Kondo, Bustamante 2, Shogun 2), but that was all heart.

His cardio has always seemed weak. He looks fatigued in most of his fights, even half of his victories. Hendo just knows how to dig deep.

Luckily he can last longer than 45 seconds so he should still have the cardio advantage over Lombard

Hendo is a finish or be finished kind of fighter if he has his way so its not that apparent most of the time it also depends on the style of fight his opponents make him fight. Sometimes it does look like he has bad cardio but others its ok, and he didnt have that problem nearly as bad in pride. Mostly age is my opinion.

Well, dude is so dang explosive, and throws everything in to his shots, so I could see how this would be something that would leave him taxed after a round or two.

Sort of like Vitor. Guys that are super explosive tend to gas out a little faster than the more calculated guys who pick their shots and pace themselves.

Hendos insane chin would keep him in the fights even WHEN he was tanked out though. lol

Gas-Tank-Right.jpg

Hendo's gas tank fades because he throws everything into his punches. He doesn't conserve energy because he it trying to knock his opponent's head into the balcony.

It seems to works 2/3rds of the time though.

Lately I've been on a UFC old events marathon, in which I've watched a load of Henderson fights.

One thing that never seemed apparent to me at the time of watching the first time around was his lack of a gas tank. Examples of this are listed below:

- Rampage Jackson fight, completely gassed after round 2 and allowed Rampage back into the fight.
- Anderson Silva fight, wasn't so apparent but when he gave up the top position to Silva he wilted badly!
- Rich Franklin fight, he literally gassed mid-way through the 1st round. Not sure how that he won that fight.
- Jake Shields (in Strikeforce), just watch that fight - some of the worst gassing I've ever seen.
- Shogun Rua I, I don't even really want to count this because it was such a war - but round 5 he was a starfish.

Has this always been an issue? I've watched a lot of Hendo in PRIDE and I don't remember it being obvious.

Please bare in mind that very few people ever note that his UFC debut was at 37, he was already getting on.

Thoughts, opinions?

He was 27 for his debut.

I remember watching old
Pride events and they would say his gas tank was one of his best assets. Maybe it went away as he got older?

~DaViD~

Henderson? in the UFC?

UFC 17 - beats Alan Goes & Carlos Newton.

It was the "Hollywood Decisions" era.

P.S. - Hollywood Decisions would be a better (auto)biography name than whatever Dan's used or will use.

Last edited:
UFC 17 - beats Alan Goes & Carlos Newton.

It was the "Hollywood Decisions" era.

Hollywood Decisions would be a better (auto)biography name than whatever Dan's used or will use.
Fucking hell, apologies - missed that completely, thought he was in RINGS back then.

Thoughts, opinions?

Without TRT, it's almost completely empty. It really shows when he fights far superior fighters like Cormier, and gets humiliated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back