Felder Has Potential, But Terrible Fight IQ

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
The Barboza fight... Il give him a pass. He got outstuck at range by the better, faster striker.

Against Berkman though... Holy shit. He looked like the better guy outside of a few exchanges but why the hell would he clinch Berkman so much!!! He clinched him at one point right after hurting him and he got taken down because of it.

He is very good and his chin is insane. But he needs to establish his bread and butter and not fucking deviate.

Hope he sticks around a few years. Fun to watch when he starts landing. Even though he got Cruickshank fired.

I noticed his fight I.Q dropped dramatically once he started training/hanging with Cerrone ...

I think Cerrone's mentality rubbed off on Felder and he became a 1 dimensional stand and bang tough guy trying to out "Alpha" his opponent rather then out think his opponent.

Against Berkman though... Holy shit. He looked like the better guy outside of a few exchanges but why the hell would he clinch Berkman so much!!! He clinched him at one point right after hurting him and he got taken down because of it..

Maybe he was gassing

Anybody that can survive a kick like that to the jewels from Barbosa and fight on has my respect, the guy is very tough but just comes forward like a maniac with the whole "I throw a punch, you throw a punch etc" and see who falls first but I do like to watch him fight.

IMO i think he is overrated. People always talk about him but his performance in the UFC has been pretty unimpressive so far.

He needs less brawl and more ninja.

First time I saw him he looked waaaaay sharper and waaaay slicker.

Huge potential. Bright future.

IMO i think he is overrated. People always talk about him but his performance in the UFC has been pretty unimpressive so far.
Who's overrating him though? He has fun fights and that's about it. I've never heard any call him a future champ. He has a fan friendly style of fighting. Maybe you're overrating him.

He wins fights by biting down on the mouthpiece and walking forward and loses fights by biting down on the mouthpiece and walking forward. When he opens the striking up he does well but he tends to be late which keeps him at the original game plan above.

As I said in the fight thread, just keep giving him guys who will throw and put him on free cards/prelims. He gets a few wins, grappler/wrestler, see if he's evolved.

He wins fights by biting down on the mouthpiece and walking forward and loses fights by biting down on the mouthpiece and walking forward. When he opens the striking up he does well but he tends to be late which keeps him at the original game plan above.

As I said in the fight thread, just keep giving him guys who will throw and put him on free cards/prelims. He gets a few wins, grappler/wrestler, see if he's evolved.
Its interesting because i talked to my striking coach about it (who's legit) and he says one of the things that makes Felder look bad is that he's "late" but not "last". Meaning some guys will be later in throwing but always make sure to end the exchange and it always makes it look like they're winning and he needs to do that because his opponents are always the ones finishing the exchanges

Its interesting because i talked to my striking coach about it (who's legit) and he says one of the things that makes Felder look bad is that he's "late" but not "last". Meaning some guys will be later in throwing but always make sure to end the exchange and it always makes it look like they're winning and he needs to do that because his opponents are always the ones finishing the exchanges

The problem with throwing late is that getting clipped on the chin first takes the power out of your punch.

So messed up that he got Cruickshank fired :(

Every cloud has a silver lining.

bGWnnm.gif

He needs less brawl and more ninja.

First time I saw him he looked waaaaay sharper and waaaay slicker.

Huge potential. Bright future.
Yeah its true.. his fights I saw before he was in UFC and his first UFC fight he was technical and his striking a lot crisper, but last few fights its more wild sloppy swinging. It seemed to have started since he has been training with Cerrone.

Yeah its true.. his fights I saw before he was in UFC and his first UFC fight he was technical and his striking a lot crisper, but last few fights its more wild sloppy swinging. It seemed to have started since he has been training with Cerrone.
He's also been fighting better strikers though... He looked technically superior next to Castillo. But then too sloppy against Barboza. That's a night and day dichotomy.

He explained why he clinched in the post fight interview.

For starters he trains with Jackson's. They devised a gameplan where they would incorporate clinch work to tire out Burkmans arms and make him less effective with TD's, clinch pressure, and striking combinations.

Burkman has always been an animal in the clinch, and I was very surprised to see how well Fielder was able to do considering he's not known for it.

While at first glance I thought the game plan was somewhat strange, there is no question worked very well. It's safe to say Jackson's knows what they're doing, and considerably better than everyone else.

Felder working on his overall fight IQ would be a good idea though. I didn't like. the TD attempt at the end of the fight.

Cruickshank being a glass neck got him fired. 3 Rear Naked Choke loses in a row. Trigg would be proud. Haa

If all these SOBs would have came to an agreement to stand and bang he'd still be here! He's the real DC, being he was here before Cormier.

Lets watch Rashid or Mairbek beat him up, he is so overrated, well he used to be.

Back