BJ Penn Explains the IV

Hardkore

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exclusive-interviews/bj-penn/

BJ Penn explains why he took a glutathione injection.

“The first time I heard about these doctors
was when I was busy training at the Jackson-Wink gym in New Mexico. The doctors came by Greg Jackson’s gym to help athletes with various issues including eye problems, concussion symptoms and brain trauma. Unfortunately I was busy training for my upcoming fight, so I didn’t get a chance to work with the doctors at that time.

After my fight got cancelled, a couple of fighters invited me to come down to Dallas with them to meet with these same doctors. I thought ‘why not’ as I have had prior concussions, I deal with vertigo and well you have seen how many times I have been hit during my career. I figured if there was any chance that this could help my vertigo, motion sickness or maybe even improve my vision, as I have a lens from a previous cataract, then this was a good thing.

We were doing some of the different exercises for vision, motion sickness and vertigo and then following my physical, one of the doctors suggested that I take a glutathione IV.”

“They said that after doing a physical on me and taking a look at my symptoms, a glutathione IV would be great for me. They told me that having the glutathione administered through an IV would be the best way for my body to absorb the antioxidant.

So the first thing I told them was that I am signed up with USADA year-round, so we have to take a look at their ‘banned substances list’ and make sure there is nothing in there.

We went through the banned substance list and of course glutathione was not on the list.

Once we discovered that nothing in the IV was on the banned substance list, I let the doctor administer the IV.

I was so focused on USADA’s banned substance list that I never gave any thought to the IV except for the fact that sometimes people had used them after weigh-ins before a fight.”

But he knew it was an IV and about the IV ban so this still doesn't explain why he took it knowing damn well he would be tested before and after the fight. Doesn't add up.

But he knew it was an IV and about the IV ban so this still doesn't explain why he took it knowing damn well he would be tested

Read the article? It explains his rationale for taking the IV.

Read the article? It explains his rationale for taking the IV.

No it does not. The page just fully loaded, I didn't see the rest of the text before. Still no excuse.

The IV is banned period. I'm a fan and even I know that. His so called rationale is not giving any thought to IV itself being banned? As if you can just shoot up anything else?!

e4a829e2-502a-42d4-898f-f3169442026b-bestSizeAvailable.png

Man fuck USADA. Just get it over with and ban everything, including Gatorade

He said he was aware of the monitoring just not specifically the IV. Simple enough to understand. Fighters dont read/miss the fine print sometimes too. Especially if they are treading that fine line.

Ok. Well it sounds like a plausible story for how he screwed up, while obviously not a great excuse for it. I feel his coach is partly responsible too; he runs a huge gym full of fighters, and should thoroughly educate them on USADA's policies.

What BJ wants people to think/know is that he wasn't doing any masking of PEDs with the IV, or trying to affect his athlete biological passport (a record of what shows up in his system normally, which USADA compares to future tests to determine if his numbers undergo changes).

So did the USDA and UFC failed to properly inform BJ?

Or did BJ failed to properly comprehend the information?

Could be an honest mistake. Question: IV is permissible when under the treatment of a doctor. Do these doctors not count? or is my understanding of the rule not complete?

So did the USDA and UFC failed to properly inform BJ?

Or did BJ failed to properly comprehend the information?

So everyone else in the UFC so far got it but the vet with the most experience didn't?

A new legend is born, Rainman Penn ?

From my understanding, when you pop for an IV, the plastic or residue from the IV is what you get popped for, not what's necessarily in the IV. You don't get popped for electrolytes. Who the fuck was Penn talking with about this, Cole Miller?

Last edited:
So everyone else in the UFC so far got it but the vet with the most experience didn't?

A new legend is born, Rainman Penn ?

Because when you pop for an IV, the plastic or residue from the IV is what you get popped for, not what's necessarily in the IV. You don't get popped for electrolytes. Who the fuck was Penn talking with what was helping him. Cole Miller?

that's why i asked those 2 questions...

lol Joe Rogan got into a huge argument with this guy about Glutathione

I haven't seen the rules on IV... but my understanding was the same as Penn'z.

I thought the danger of IV & the reason for the ban waz in taking the fluidz out of your body before a weigh in & then putting them back in after the weigh in.

I don't understand why it's a problem if Penn used an IV to put a legal substance into his body.

upload_2016-5-30_5-37-11.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back