Are there no exceptions for IV use?

imagesmb

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This BJ situation sets a precedent in my opinion. What USADA seems to be saying by suspending him is that fighters can't be given an IV under any circumstances whether it's out of competition or not. If a fighter has surgery he/she will have to have an IV. Will that person then be suspended? If a fighter goes to the hospital with a fever of 104 and is given saline will they then also be suspended? I would really like USADA to give some clear guidelines on this or we're going to be seeing way more fights nixed for no reason.

You are allowed IV for a real medical need. BJ did not use an IV for a real medical need.

Yea its fucked up. The message they are sending currently is "we dont care if your dying and it will help you. Dont get an IV"

I think medical reasons is an excuse. If you believe Penn's story then I'm confused as to how that doesn't fall under the category of medical use

Medical procedures probably get a fighter a pass, the only other way is to be a beer drinking Cowboy.

I believe it's pretty easy to get a TUE. Certainly it would be for an IV out of competition.

I think medical reasons is an excuse. If you believe Penn's story then I'm confused as to how that doesn't fall under the category of medical use

Its probably something u have to declare to usada in advance and not retroactively or some bullshit. Its fucking bullshit. These are fucking cage fighters they entered this profession to avoid paper work

I also find it crazy u have to inform usada of where u are at all times and if they show up to ur house to give a "random test" and ur out of town it counts as a failed drug test

Its probably something u have to declare to usada in advance and not retroactively or some bullshit. Its fucking bullshit. These are fucking cage fighters they entered this profession to avoid paper work
True. Didn't think abou that

I also find it crazy u have to inform usada of where u are at all times and if they show up to ur house to give a "random test" and ur out of town it counts as a failed drug test

Yeah, that's why I think about being a cage fighter, fucking paperwork man.

EDIT: Also, you can get a TUE retroactively, but this was NOT a valid medical need.

Totally. Couldnt agree more. Next time you get your ass kicked, remind everyone that your opponent took an IV to rehydrate a month before the fight so the results shouldnt count

Yea its fucked up. The message they are sending currently is "we dont care if your dying and it will help you. Dont get an IV"

No its fucking not the message they are sending. Go read USADA's rules regarding IVs and stop just making shit up.

No its fucking not the message they are sending. Go read USADA's rules regarding IVs and stop just making shit up.
This is a perception. Maybe not a reality but definitely a perception.

While declaring in advance does seem logical at face value there are times when that just really isn't an option. Take the flu example: If a fighter goes to the hospital with a high fever, the first thing a nurse/doctor will do is put them on an IV. I don't see any fighter saying, "Hold on, don't put that in yet. I have to call USADA first and get their permission."

This BJ situation sets a precedent in my opinion. What USADA seems to be saying by suspending him is that fighters can't be given an IV under any circumstances whether it's out of competition or not. If a fighter has surgery he/she will have to have an IV. Will that person then be suspended? If a fighter goes to the hospital with a fever of 104 and is given saline will they then also be suspended? I would really like USADA to give some clear guidelines on this or we're going to be seeing way more fights nixed for no reason.

You can have an iv id adminstered by a doctor in a hospital or walk in center if its done for legit medical needs.Bj is basically saying he went to one of them iv places

You can have an iv id adminstered by a doctor in a hospital or walk in center if its done for legit medical needs.Bj is basically saying he went to one of them iv places

One of them iv places? Is that like an "asian massage" ?? Lol :p

It's acceptable for a legitimate medical reason. Why is that difficult to understand? If you wind up in the ER for some reason and they give you an IV as part of your treatment there's nothing wrong with that. If you are using IVs for nutrition, non-emergency rehydration, or other unnecessary reasons, you're breaking the rules.

It's not rocket science.

While declaring in advance does seem logical at face value there are times when that just really isn't an option. Take the flu example: If a fighter goes to the hospital with a high fever, the first thing a nurse/doctor will do is put them on an IV. I don't see any fighter saying, "Hold on, don't put that in yet. I have to call USADA first and get their permission."

At the risk of sounding like a dick, this has been explained in a dozen prior threads about BJ.

If you are admitted to the hospital, you don't even need a TUE for an IV. You can get one with no issue. (So Silva had nothing to worry about while getting his gallbladder out, for example.)

If you get one in an emergency situation, such as at the ER or if a paramedic gives you one, a TUE will be issued retroactively. You just provide the proper paperwork after the fact. You don't have to call USADA in your half-conscious 105-degree fever state.

If you need an IV for a non-emergency situation (like a regularly administered medication) you have to get the TUE in advance, which makes sense since you know in advance.

This is a perception.

Not for me. Maybe for those who treat uninformed opinions on message boards as facts it is.

Just go to USADA's website and read their guidelines. You will see that there are circumstances where an IV could be administered if it was legitimately required. I know multiple paragraphs is a lot to ask of a sherdogger without getting a "didn't read lol", but a pro athlete whose livelihood depends on following the rules should be able to manage it no problem.

Not for me. Maybe for those who treat uninformed opinions on message boards as facts it is.

Just go to USADA's website and read their guidelines. You will see that there are circumstances where an IV could be administered if it was legitimately required. I know multiple paragraphs is a lot to ask of a sherdogger without getting a "didn't read lol", but a pro athlete whose livelihood depends on following the rules should be able to manage it no problem.
Listen ive been extremly cordial with you and i expect the same respect in return.

I have not read the usada page this is true.

But if a doctor reccomended IV is not allowed then there is an issue. It was not for rehydration from what bj has said. I get they dont want the IV due to masking peds but if a doctor advises an IV out of comp to help it should not be an issue. But it is.

Back