Why doesn't Frank Mir get the same overrated BJ Penn love?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
While I'm sure some are fans, I'm willing to bet that many BJ fans think Frank Mir is overrated. Or worse.

But what they don't realize is how similar these two are.

Both are 37.

Both made their UFC and MMA debut in 2001.

Both won their first UFC title in 2004. They both won these titles in their 9th ever fight.

As all BJ nuthuggers will tell you. BJ BEAT MATT HUGHES! Well Frank beat a then undefeated 16-0 Tim Sylvia.

Both were stripped of their titles.

Both have fought a who's who of MMA history.

Both have shown up out-of-shape/unmotivated for fights.

Both have similar average records: 16-10-2 and 18-11.

Both started training at Jackson/Wink late in their careers.

Both got busted by USADA.

So why is Frank Mir not talked of as a MMA deity? Oh wait, he did not fight Machida at heavyweight! Silly me! That must be it!

For you BJ fans who don't think Frank is as great as BJ, tell us why? The same way you guys don't think Frank is all that great is the same way we reality based MMA fans view BJ.

Both are severely overrated and have embarrassing records.

Yeah I said it.

Frank gets a ton of love. People on here talk him up like one of the greatest all time at heavyweight and he really isn't.

Many know about frank motercycle accident and for him to come back from that and be as good as he was, he gets our love.

Last edited:
Nobody calls Mir one of the best ever.

14G44ZZ.gif

Might have something to do with him suffering more brutal beat downs than Penn.

Frank gets a ton of love. People on here talk him up like one of the greatest all time at heavyweight and he really isn't.

Frank gets love but he does not get the type of blind love that makes excuses for his flaws. Being "unmotivated" is a negative trait yet BJ fans have twisted it into a legitimate reason why he lost certain fights.

You somehow drew a correlation that BJ fans have an issue with Frank Mir. I can assure you, the two are not related.

Naw, people just have hard-ons for warriors of that era that never knew when to hang it up.. neither should have fought past 2010

What a fucking weird thread.

While I'm sure some are fans, I'm willing to bet that many BJ fans think Frank Mir is overrated. Or worse.

But what they don't realize is how similar these two are.

Both are 37.

Both made their UFC and MMA debut in 2001.

Both won their first UFC title in 2004. They both won these titles in their 9th ever fight.

As all BJ nuthuggers will tell you. BJ BEAT MATT HUGHES! Well Frank beat a then undefeated 16-0 Tim Sylvia.

Both were stripped of their titles.

Both have fought a who's who of MMA history.

Both have shown up out-of-shape/unmotivated for fights.

Both have similar average records: 16-10-2 and 18-11.

Both started training at Jackson/Wink late in their careers.

Both got busted by USADA.

So why is Frank Mir not talked of as a MMA deity? Oh wait, he did not fight Machida at heavyweight! Silly me! That must be it!

For you BJ fans who don't think Frank is as great as BJ, tell us why? The same way you guys don't think Frank is all that great is the same way we reality based MMA fans view BJ.
They are both UFC HoF'ers that are immensely skilled and have been in some seriously entertaining matchups. Maybe stop caring about what a random on this board thinks of BJ or Frank.

Why should he?

The mystique around BJ Penn isn't because of his record, his debut, his showing out-of-shape or any of that crap you posted.

That you even have to ask this question shows how ignorant you are of the sport and its history.

Frank may have become a legend if he hadn't been in that motorcycle accident, but the fact is when BJ first appeared on the scene he already electrified the MMA world with the hype from his pedigree and his performances which destroyed the opposition. When Frank Mir came onto the scene it was a whimper in comparison.

And LOL at you comparing there records. When BJ Penn came on after a first few "tune up fights" he started fighting top-ranked fighters and champions one after another -- and he obliterated many of them. Frank was fighting nobodies until like 3 years into his career.

You somehow drew a correlation that BJ fans have an issue with Frank Mir. I can assure you, the two are not related.

Perhaps not. Perhaps yes. But I never hear Frank Mir revered the same way as BJ by BJ fans or fans in general.

Frank gets love but he does not get the type of blind love that makes excuses for his flaws. Being "unmotivated" is a negative trait yet BJ fans have twisted it into a legitimate reason why he lost certain fights.
Yeah its that Jamie Varner syndrome, very infectious

Why should he?

The mystique around BJ Penn isn't because of his record, his debut, his showing out-of-shape or any of that crap you posted.

That you even have to ask this question shows how ignorant you are of the sport and its history.

Frank may have become a legend if he hadn't been in that motorcycle accident, but the fact is when BJ first appeared on the scene he already electrified the MMA world with the hype from his pedigree and his performances which destroyed the opposition. When Frank Mir came onto the scene it was a whimper in comparison.

And LOL at you comparing there records. When BJ Penn came on after a first few "tune up fights" he started fighting top-ranked fighters and champions one after another -- and he obliterated many of them. Frank was fighting nobodies until like 3 years into his career.

And there you have it.

It didn't take long for the first BJ fan to dismiss Frank.

I couldn't care less about this. Both have been a punching bag.

Back