What's up with Sherdog and UFC fans and that whole "you're only good as your last fight" mentality?

Hello There Friend

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could list so many examples. A recent one was when Jones won against OSP after the layoff and people where giving him shit and saying, "See, I told you Jones was overrated!" It's like no matter how many fights or how impressive you looked before hand, if you come in that night looking bad, people will scream "Overrated!" Or Lil Nog right before he beat Cummins, people where going "when is Nog going to retire? Nog's done." And after he beat him people were saying "See, I knew all along Nog wasnt finished!" Or when Shogun beat Te Huna after his strings of lackluster performances, people where acting like he's back.

What's up with that? I know this site is filled with bandwagoners who only love who's on top, but still. That ridiculous.

You are right, it exists. A psychologist could tell you why.

People spend way too much time trying to downplay fighters they don't like instead of appreciating the fighters they do like.

I mean it feels like most guys only fight once a year...

A lot of fans are more fans of the fighters than they are of MMA fights. I can understand it to degree, but it's often taken too far. It often stems from disappointment or elation depending on which fighter they happen to be a fan of.

Everyone here is on drugs, and nobody remembers shit

Most Sherdoggers are goldfish and only remember the most recent events

"You're only as good as your last fight" is what the bookies say.

They also might have some insight into the physique obsession on here.
Yeah that's how I know a lot of men out there have homosexual urges and if that's you, right on but god damn, stop talking about how good fighters look. Some of us don't care.

Yeah that's how I know a lot of men out there have homosexual urges and if that's you, right on but god damn, stop talking about how good fighters look. Some of us don't care.

Agreed. And people wonder why some people equate MMA with homosexuality. Doesn't help when the fans are online saying how hot some half naked guy is while he is posing in his undies.

I could list so many examples. A recent one was when Jones won against OSP after the layoff and people where giving him shit and saying, "See, I told you Jones was overrated!" It's like no matter how many fights or how impressive you looked before hand, if you come in that night looking bad, people will scream "Overrated!" Or Lil Nog right before he beat Cummins, people where going "when is Nog going to retire? Nog's done." And after he beat him people were saying "See, I knew all along Nog wasnt finished!" Or when Shogun beat Te Huna after his strings of lackluster performances, people where acting like he's back.

What's up with that? I know this site is filled with bandwagoners who only love who's on top, but still. That ridiculous.

They sent me a warning. Now I need to remove my comment. Very weird and unfair but well..

Last edited:
Because they heard someone else say it, they don't actually understand the true meaning of that phrase, then they just parrot it like they know shit, when in fact you don't shit mothafucka!

It's exaggerated for sure, but to play devil's advocate, someone's most recent fight is a better indication of where they presently stand than a dozen fights from years ago.

Because it makes sense. Chuck Liddell used to be great and was a champion. Is he great and champion material now? No, he has a chin made of finest china and he's old. If you put him in the cage today, he'd lose to younger guys that wouldn't have beat him in his prime. That's because his last fight (and the few before that) went horribly for him. In 2016, at best he's as good as those last fights, in reality probably even worse.

What makes more sense, thinking a guy today is as good as he was at some time in the past which may not at all be representative of him now?

It's Sherdog, where Werdum isn't good anymore and Conor is the worst fighter in MMA who the average Sherdogger's grandmother would beat.

Meanwhile whoever just won a belt instantly becomes everyone's favourite fighter, and people knew he was great all along.

In short, the average Sherdog poster is an idiot.

Back