Anyone Else Having Trouble Wrapping Their Heads Around Miocic At Champ?

MikeHolmes

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recall his hype prior to his debut, since he was a Gold-Glove boxer, college wrestler, and potential professional baseball player. He looked really poor against Joey Beltran in his debut, followed up by getting his ass-kicked and having nothing for Shane Del Rosario(RIP) prior to landing a takedown, and getting KO'd by Stefan Struve, who was commonly brutalized by any ranked opponent. Even in Miocic's "coming out" against Roy Nelson, Miocic didn't seem like a killer, as he basically was the only Nelson opponent to completely run away at points in the fight. Afterwards, Miocic was also the only opponent to not completely obliterate Gonzaga in victory. At best, Miocic was a decent HW with a questionable finishing instinct. Yet, a few years later, he's HW champion.

Hell naw

Miocic has always been pretty legit to me.

I remember him boxing the socks off of Roy Nelson, when Nelson was still pretty feared, and his fight with JDS was a damn war.

Dude is a SOLID heavyweight fighter & champ.

UFC161-NelsonXStipe-rd2-slowmo-1-400-sg.gif

DelightfulSickCollardlizard.gif

Last edited:
Ya I see it like I see lawler as champ ... It's very temporary .
There's a few better guys in the division and they'll lose their belts. Good for them for reaching their all time goal and it's an amazing thing but neither will last long.

Hell naw

Miocic has always been solid to me.

I remember him boxing the socks off of Roy Nelson, when Nelson was still pretty feared, and his fight with JDS was a damn war.

Dude is a SOLID heavyweight fighter & champ.
I actually thought he should've gotten the nod against JDS by the slimmest of margins. That was a damn good fight.

I ain't gonna lie, I am surprised as hell.

Stipes always been a dark horse type contender. Not surprised at all, hes a beast. I can see him holding the belt for a while actually
Overeem will be a tough test and truly indicative of how good he actually is. Guys cool as ice in the cage too. Could the nickname "Icy Fireman" give C. Anderson a challenge for most stupid nickname?

He just KO'd Werdum. It's like people saying that Conor sucks after he KO'd Aldo.

Except Conor didn't lose at all in FW

A little, every time I watch him fights it's like he doesn't really excel in any part of the fight game besides knocking fools out.

He looked really poor against Joey Beltran in his debut, followed up by getting his ass-kicked and having nothing for Shane Del Rosario(RIP) prior to landing a takedown, Even in Miocic's "coming out" against Roy Nelson, Miocic didn't seem like a killer, as he basically was the only Nelson opponent to completely run away at points in the fight. Afterwards, Miocic was also the only opponent to not completely obliterate Gonzaga in victory.

I redacted all of the information that can't be called horse shit outright and left all the stuff that is, in fact, objectively horseshit.

Meh. Stipe, Werdum, Lawler, RDA, and Tate are all temporary champs. Don't know whats going on with the UFC these days.

I recall his hype prior to his debut, since he was a Gold-Glove boxer, college wrestler, and potential professional baseball player. He looked really poor against Joey Beltran in his debut, followed up by getting his ass-kicked and having nothing for Shane Del Rosario(RIP) prior to landing a takedown, and getting KO'd by Stefan Struve, who was commonly brutalized by any ranked opponent. Even in Miocic's "coming out" against Roy Nelson, Miocic didn't seem like a killer, as he basically was the only Nelson opponent to completely run away at points in the fight. Afterwards, Miocic was also the only opponent to not completely obliterate Gonzaga in victory. At best, Miocic was a decent HW with a questionable finishing instinct. Yet, a few years later, he's HW champion.
He's the youngest / most athletic / injury free in an old division. If cain could turn his training down a bit.. and keep his eyes up when he's throwing strikes... He'd be champion for a long time.

Last edited:
he started his MMA career in 2010 and he still works as a firefighter. He can still improve like werdum

Meh. Stipe, Werdum, Lawler, RDA, and Tate are all temporary champs. Don't know whats going on with the UFC these days.
RDA is going to be there for a while.. lawler too....
Injuries - timing = Repeat contenders.

I'm shocked Werdum went down the way he did, seeing all 240 pounds on him come down onto his shoulder, but at the same time I am not that surprised Stipe captured the title.

Back